Dumaguete Info Search

McDonalds in Dumaguete City

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by The Dane, Nov 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2blackbelts

2blackbelts DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    McDonalds in Dumaguete

As an American citizen, who is about to move to a foreign country and city with his family, (Dumaguete), we are often "blamed" or targeted for the policies of our government, or the capitalist attitude of some companies. Nothing could be further from the truth.

We are moving to Dumaguete because of the climate, the charm of the city, it's history, and most of all, the kindness of the people. Once there, we are just like everyone else, we care about the city, it's welfare, and it's people. The only difference is we speak Tagalog very poorly, are a different skin color, and probably taller.

As a city grows, so does the good and the bad. If a city or even a country remains stagnant, it will slowly wither and die.

McDonalds is no more a threat or hazard than anything else, it is only so if you want it to be. Apparently someone wants it there, and the government of Dumaguete has approved it.

Shopping malls, restaraunts, outside business, while bringing different elements into the city, often bring more good in the form of better merchandise, more variety, and a CHOICE for the people who live there.

We can't wait to cover over again and visit Dumaguete in the spring and meet many of you on the board. My daughter will tour Siliman again, and prepare for college in just a couple of years.

All in all, when a city grows, the people grow with it.

2 blackbelts

2. wak-wak

wak-wak DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The free market will be the true indicator of whether McDo's is wanted or not.

I understand your point of view regarding how unhealthy the food is. I would hate to see PI go down the path of obesity the US has.

I've been to Puerto Princessa. A lot of bastos comments were said to my girlfriend and it made her feel uncomfortable. She even yelled back a few times which is unlike her. Maybe that isn't the average experience, but that was mine. Maybe it had something to do with her walking with a foreigner (me), but either way it was unwelcome.

3. Kuya

Kuya DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I had plenty of opportunity to eat unhealthy food in Dumaguete, even without the option of a McDonald's at that time. My guess is that a Greenwich pizza (I ate two and enjoyed them) rivals a Big Mac in terms of fat content. And Jollibee is a competitor for McDonald's, correct? Greenwich and Jollibee are pure Filipino companies that both started in the 1970's. You can tell McDonald's to stay out of Dumaguete, but don't forget your home-grown corporations that also lend to health issues in your population. The truth is, there are always options (some healthier than others), and you should pick the one that best suits you. You'd be amazed how far time and convenience can go in determing someone's eating habits...especially over here in "Fat Land".

4. yabs

yabs DI Forum Adept Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    well if we dig deeper the route cause of all of this is capitalism always requires
    growth of some kind. All societies and companies are now obsessed with growth particularly economic growth. I can see nothing wrong with things staying as they are but politicians aren't. Unfirtuantly this growth always comes at the expense of the environment, quaintness and good taste.
    we are entering dark days indeed but for me I thought dumaguete
    had the balance just right. Looks like thats set to change.
    shame but inevitable i suppose

5. echir

echir DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    And these are the concerns of one of the former mayors of the city, preserving the quaintness of the city, yet being progressive. That he wanted to accomplish by preserving the old poblacion, while creating growth areas outside the present central business district...Sad, we have to do away with that visionary mayor. But I think Dumaguete is not yet politically mature.

With regards to capitalism, yes there are evils associated with it, and there are also good. We have to strike a balance.

6. yabs

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Its one thing that always dissapoints me about the Philippines though
    is its abundnce of cr*ppy fastfood like jollibee etc. Thailand, Vietnam etc has excellent and healthy roadside food, but the Philippines truelly lacks this and indeed the food overall is dissapointing after coming from other parts of asia.
    For this we can "thank" uncle Sam of course. Its just a shame the Philippinos had to adopt their fast, junk food habits and not take some culinary lessons from their neighbours. All the American expats and tourists of course doesn't help reverse this trend. great shame.

7. pickled_newt

pickled_newt DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +17 / 12
    You are very opinionated.
    The Philippines is not for all.If you are stressed up and unhappy with how the Philippines come to you,then the Philippines isn't for you ,simple as that.

8. garbonzo

garbonzo DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    Hmmm...all this time I thought it was the Spanish influence that produced much of the Filipino culinary triumphs (actually I like most of it). Must say I like Thai food somewhat more (lived near Khon Kaen for a year and a half), and my Filipina wife is pretty good at putting several Thai dishes together. I quite like American expats too. Whenever there is a problem, American expats are in there like a shot helping locals and other expats wherever I've been. Deserve a lot more credit than they get...and never ask for..

But if it makes you happy..North Korea has no fast food, it's plenty quaint, and no Americans....sounds like the perfect spot for a whinger....

9. yabs

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    yes it was the spanish who made all the nice philipino dishes like adobo etc
    possible. However I was referring to the distinct lack of tasty street food
    present in other parts of asia but lacking in the Phils. This is due to the fast food junk culture spread by the yanks. They destroyed much of the philippino culture which is a shame. as for yankee expats I have not heard of much trouble in dumaguete between expats but only of one major fight recently in WHY NOT Started by a drunk American. AS for north korea having no americans that sounds excellent , however its also not tropical. Vietnam is also a good option as they hate yanks as well.

10. 2blackbelts

2blackbelts DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    McDonalds in Dumaguete

As a proud American, who will soon become an expat living in Dumaguete, we also have a few opinions on certain things.

Without doubt, American foreign policy represents a select few politicians, not the masses. Unfortunately, we cannot control some of the rediculous decisions made by our government, so in turn, we suffer the consequences as well.

If I saw an expat American starting a fight in a bar in Dumaguete, believe me, I would put a stop to it, and quickly, as I have the physical means to do so. I will also be the first in line to help the Filipino people, as they will now be my people as well.

Making blanket negative generalizations about the United States and Americans just shows prejudice and racism, and makes one just as bad as the people he talks about. There are good Americans, good Germans, good Philippinos, good Swiss, etc., There are bad from these nationalities as well. However, just because I don't know them personally, I refuse to say that all of them are bad or evil.

My father served in WWII in the Philippines, saw heavy action, and was very proud of his service there. He often spoke of his friendship with one local, who ended up giving him a handmade knife when he shipped out. These are the people I like to think are there, not ones who put down other races or nationalities before they meet them.

Again, we will all be coming over in a few months, and I look forward to meeting all of you.

2 blackbelts

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.