Dumaguete Info Search

MIA's

Discussion in '☋ Dining - Nightlife - Entertainment ☋' started by Relayer, May 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OP
    OP
    Relayer

Relayer Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Make sure you have a good front light??? The guy said he use to manage pubs in England, I dont think he is a filipino teenager.

2. Gass

Gass DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I agree with broadside the road going there and back is horrible. Been there now 2 times and can’t see any reason to go back.

Thought the first time was bad luck, upon return it was the same weird place. It is a Karaoke place in the colors of a girly bar, just that there are no GRO’s. I was the only guest on both visits. When I was on my last drink some locals came and completed the Mia’s experience. I left with bleeding eyes due to the really very “tasteful” pinkish-red interior and burst eardrums due to the well known singing skills.

The food order took forever and was mediocre, absolutely nothing to rave about. Better burger and way better backribs in Dumaguete.

The waitress was friendly, though I also never had a different experience when sitting directly at the bar at most other places in Dumaguete facing the waitress. She obviously enjoyed that at least someone was there and she don’t need to die of boredom.

My rating on a scale 1 to 5 (5 being the best)

Atmosphere : 2
    Friendliness: 5
    Food:3
    Service:3
    Value for Money:3

Bottom-line, if a place is only nice if certain people are around to talk to it is pretty useless as a place itself. All the rest (other than the cute waitress) isn’t worth the trip.

3. OP
    OP
    Relayer

Relayer Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you go to the Blvd you are assured of lots of company, girls and forgieners. Mia's is off the beaten path a bit. Its different. I like that its not YNot. But everytime I have been there lots of good troublemakers around and fun was the main order. Just bad luck for you I guess.

4. Broadside

Broadside DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +16 / 1
    Yes, make sure that you have a good front light on your bike to help pick your way around the potholes at night on the very bad road. I felt I was offering some decent advice. No, I'm not a Filipino teenager. No, I never managed pubs, I owned them. That's a very big difference in the UK.

So I'm trying to find a connection between your three statements, but so far I can't fathom out what point it is you're trying to make.

5. Gass

Gass DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    nice that you verify what I said.

Mia's as a place simply isn't worth at all going to.
    If somebody needs a special crowd to make a place visitable, the place itself sucks. A good place would speak for itself, no matter if 1 or 30 guests.

6. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    Well if we all had the same opinion, one place would have all the business. I was in Mia's yesterday afternoon and into the night. There were lot's of people there all having fun.
    Sometimes it is quiet and sometimes full, but usually a good friendly crowd.

Correct the road is getting more and more potholes, they sometimes do some patching. The reason it's dark, is because someone stole the street light wire and it's taking a long time to replace.

I only heard one person complain about Mia's, he sat there and complained about the Karaoke, Sooo why would someone go to a Resto/Karaoke bar and complain about the Karaoke? He could have sat around the pool where it is very nice.
    Ooo well, it works well for me.
    Cheers----Ron

7. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    Well I see one problem in the whole discussion on this and another thread.
    Mia's was praised by some members here as a great pub and wonderful restaurant, and it is simply none of both (at least not what the common understanding of Pub and Restaurant is).
    It is a Karaoke Joint w/ pool table which offers OK food, additionally a great outdoor/swimming area and this kind of miss-information is where it can become confusing.

I quote (a small fraction of a longer report) from another website. my opinion takes different approaches:

1st-summary: Many know that I moderate the forum part on Dumagueteinfo.com, so judging Mia’s Restobar, I basically found almost everything what DI-members complain about Restaurants in Dumaguete City. Very slow service (remember shakes 1hr 15 minutes), dishes are different as described in the menu, prices are in a range that it is in the upper third of this region. Would I go to Mias Restobar for having lunch or dinner? No, I don’t think so, I get the same or better stuff in Dumaguete, so no need to “travel”.

2nd-summary: It is a great place for small celebrations or going there with a bunch of friends to have some cold ones, playing pool, have a swim and a good time. Looks like a wonderful, friendly, clean place to get filled up and have fun with a couple of mates and some snacks in between. I am convinced that I will end up there once in a while with some friends for some booze.

3-rd summary: Taking the family for a nice relaxed afternoon at a great place in a lovely, tropical garden, having a decent meal some cold shakes and a great time. Mia’s is definitely a place to consider for doing exactly that. We had a great time at Mias Restobar and swimming pool that we four look forward to our next visit in Dumaguetes neighbor municipality Sibulan.

So Ron and Kevin obviously fall into the middle-summary, while Gass in the first.

8. KTM

KTM DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +204 / 69
    Your opinion is your opinion, glad you enjoyed the place and won't be returning back.:rolleyes:

9. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    I just got home from Mia's what a good time with friends.

10. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,539 / 1,016
    Ron, you are very fortunate to have Mia's so close to your home. I would be thrilled if I had Mia's in Bacong, but I have nothing. I am used to having a pub or bar/resto that I would frequent occasionally. My Makati pub was Heckle and Jeckle, a sports bar. Mia's may not be perfect by some people's standards but it surely fits as a neigfhborhood pub (for Negros), imho. Do I understand correctly that it is for sale?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.