Dumaguete Info Search

Mister LEE and the Volkswagen Beetle.

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by earlmj, Sep 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. earlmj

earlmj DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Those of you who live here , surely know Mister Lee ( Plaza and Hyper Market) and his " let,s keep low profile " Volkswagen Beetle ( Yellow)..
    Anyway lately changes are made.. Ample stock of Milk both Paul,s and Dutch Lady , and even for a whole two weeks there were french fries in the freezer in many flavors .. yummy...
    Orange Juice ( King,s ) from good old Deutschland, not over expire date !! for 48 peso making it even cheaper then in Europe !
    My complane about selling canned mushrooms ( Champions) WAY OVER EXPIRE DATE ( date sealed off with a STICKER with QUALITY PROOF on it !!) .. perhaps woke him up.... As far as the eye can see plenty of Champions in many brands , but all from China ofcourse.
    Shopping now gets better and better but is still very Mahal...
    Mister Lee claims to LOOSE already three years on his enterprise and not making a single piso lang...:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

O well , Robinson is coming.........

2. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    ... but I don't think in this century...:p

3. OP
    OP
    earlmj

earlmj DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Again Rhoody , I guess you are right hahaha.

4. jellyfish

jellyfish DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    I have quit buying food from the refs and freezers in Lee's...

Too many times I was disappointed with the quality, due to the fact that the expiry date is too close or overdue.

One time I bought a Dutch cheese, way before it's expiry date, but I don't know what they did to it, it was inedible, salt, hard and dry, not at all what this type of cheese usually is!

And even in the case that it is not expired, the food suffers from the fact that the freezers are shut off during the night.

Stuff that should always be frozen as hard as a stone, is found in Lee's, as soft as if it is just at room temperature or just below...

The French fries I saw in Hypermarket where lying in a place where they where certainly not frozen, I wonder how those would taste... I didn't buy them, it's a waste of money.

Hypermarket as such is a nice place to shop, better than Lee's in the city proper, it's just a pity that many of the stuff we foreigners love, is not avaliable there...

5. OP
    OP
    earlmj

earlmj DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Over due and unedible.. but he is making good money with it..

By the way , Did you know that Mr. Lee did not pay ANY taxes to the local tax office for three years as , again , he claims to loose ??? money...?
    I have directly from someone I meet frequently and is.. the M of Duma..
    Anyway ,Untill Robinson will open ,or the Iranians drop the bomb fist ( just to pamper you yabs ! ) We have to deal with LESS ( sorry LEE ) S U P E R plaza. .. and the Hypermarket..
    The french fries are absolutly GREAT , BUT !! I bought then in Less ( sorry Lee ) plaza when they came in.. and 20 bags lasted with my family for over one week...
    Like written , they dared to put a Nice " QUALITY PROOF " sticker JUST over the expire date that was uhh ..5 month before on dangerous stuff like Mushrooms in cann....
    I come from Holland so buy a lot of FRICO cheese , all when it comes in.. the laterones are even with moist and fungi sealed in... Cheese get easy spoiled , not dangerous , but it sure does looks Fungi......

6. The Dane

The Dane DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    the all time record in Hyppermart is down by the imported shelf by the butcher..

A couple of canned pesto things expired in 2001 or 2002... Nasty...

Also when I first moved there I saw some Danish cheeses which expired a couple of years yearlier, I notified staff about this several times. The only thing that happened was they transferred them to small plastic bags with a cardboard thing in the bottom to hide the date.

I also hate the fact that they turn off their freezers at night to conserve electric... So all meat that is supposed to be frozen solid is soft and NOT very safe to eat.

I hope Robinsons will open soon....

7. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    they will open... somewhen and somewhere, but I think there will be many Robinsons openings somewhere before you can buy propper beef in Dumaguete

cheers

Rhoody

8. OP
    OP
    earlmj

earlmj DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Its A Bloody Crime !!

Thanks for shining your light over the Pesto Mystery.. We buy then same brand that you had , but ONE WEEK !! after opening.. it is spoiled and we can trow it away. Good reason I guess why we sometimes have LBM..
    Hmm.
    The Danish Blue Cheese, not funny at all , again we have the SAME experience. It is suposed to be blue cheese, BUT NOT COMPLETLY BLUE...
    I wonder whether Yabs has also a CUTTROAD MANIFESTO against Chinese and in particular on Mister " EVER LOW PRICED " Lee.
    In this matter I am more then willing to help him with my humoristic proposal to deal with Koreans.. Only this time for REAL ! :mad: :mad:
    I will see ( again ) our Major after his trip to Manila. Beside that I will show him all the good work all of us are doing on this site , I will inforrm him about his "favorit " entrepreneur.. Major P told me himself that Lee never paid his taxes ....Also here in the Phils there is a Health Code... with penantlies !! Don,t know whether I should put it here in black and white , but just to give all of you an idea how "mister "Lee ( for Less ), does things..
    Mind you , together Lee Plaza and Hyper Markt I spend over 34.000 peso per month !!!
    Perhaps I should post a picture of mister Lee ( including his dyed hair) on the forum as The biggest crook in town ...

9. davfitz

davfitz DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Forgive me, a humble foreign visitor who is not yet arrived, but I'm astonished! In a tropical climate, freezers are turned off at night? The proprietor must be dumber than a sack of hammers! Not only is this dangerous but there is no energy savings whatever as the compressors must work continuously during the time that there are plugged in in order to (attempt to) restore the correct temperature.

I am planning on cooking and eating food. The shopping challenge just became more interesting. Many thanks (?) for the usefull information posted in this thread.

10. OP
    OP
    earlmj

earlmj DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    A MATTER OF DISRESPECT for the CUSTOMERS !!

I do believe , and that surely also the opinion of others , that it is not a matter of being a dummy as you well wrote , but showing GREAT DISRESPECT towards all customers , their health and wellbeing BUT !! formost to the FOREIGN BUYERS as it is US !! that buy the MAJORITY of the stuff in the "freezer"
    DAY FRESH products as vegetables , fruits , but also poultry , meat and all kind of Seafood can be bought at the DUMAGUTEE DAY MARKET..........

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.