Dumaguete Info Search

MOALBOAL bad news

Discussion in '☋ Other Destinations in the Philippines and Asia ☋' started by yabs, May 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gotz

gotz DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I've been to Cebu the last week of June.Its been a long time since i've been there. I was so surprise to what I notice. I almost thought that I was on a foreign land like korea, Japan or perhaps china. What i saw beside the streets from Mandaue, Lapu Lapu and Cebu cities are large billboards that only has foreign languages written on it. I don't know from what country but it seems that this shops only cater to their own countrymen and they are right there in Cebu doing business. Why do these city officials allow such billboards? I do understand that it would help as a guide for foreign tourist and guest but they should not exclude the local populace from undertstanding what they are. There should be an English translation written under it to accomodate all. Just like in food recipes. German dishes at least have a discription of what the food is.

What if this big Japanese resort only have Japanese languages as signboards to their resort, What will the sugbuanons do?

2. jellyfish

jellyfish DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    I guess they won't arrive there :D which is not that bad at all :wink:
    I did'nt notice it last May, but will look better next occasion.
    But what has this to do with "MoalBoal bad news" ? That's why I was curious to read this thread, coz I want to go again.

3. cebudiver

cebudiver DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    to continue the off subject remark....
    gotz, have you been to Guam lately ? ..... all the brochures in most of the hotels are in Japaneese. Miami is mostly spanish...A few korean signs are popping up here ... e-gad .... you cater to your clients... thats how you make a buisness work
    back to topic.... there is a huge building in Liloan santander called the kingdom that looks like a sideways refrigerator box that someone tried make look like a castle. No landscaping - big ugly building to the edge of the property line - fresh water pool next to the corals (wonder what the bribe for that permit was) ... guess what nationality the investors are ???
    it replaced the smaller philippine owned cebu liloan resort ...
    the only real hope for this region is responsible tourist development...unfortunately, the political situation here tends to favor immediate profit over long term benifit... a bit depressing to think about

4. The Dane

The Dane DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    I Angeles Pampanga they recently passed a city ordinance forcing all signs to have english translation... This is particularly a problem in the big Korea-town here...

I have yet to see any changes on the signs here though...

5. anotherdane

anotherdane DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think its best to tell the thruth allways - and maybe we offend some people - but in the end its is alwlays the best to tell for example japans or koreans if they do somethign other countries dont agree with !
    If we dont say anything we can not change anything - !

If people allways avoid conflicts. and dont face the thruth , the world wil not be so nice place to stay ! I can tel whats wrong with europeans today :The are afraid of taking a conflict- even they are wright ! - thats the problem !

6. Typhoon

Typhoon DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi everyone,
    I stumbled on the"Moalboal bad news" while browsing the moalboal page on google.
    I'm new to this blog but I'm a long time resident of Panagsama and it seems that people here don't really have the right picture of the Moalboal situation.
    I will start a new thread on the subject soon but briefly for the mean time....
    The vast majority of businesses and buildings on the seashore of Panagsama are owned by foreigners.They ALL are illegal constructions that stand well below the high tide mark.Hence the disappearance of the beach and the convenient "Typhoon theory" (according to Philippines law a 20m.setback above high tide is required) see page 24 and up on this link http://www.oneocean.org/download/20020628/coastal_tourism_handbook.pdf
    This is to say that the "rustic" Panagsama has disappeared a long time ago and that the few restaurants and "girly" bars that have been removed buy this japanese guy were nothing but squatters. Since they are gone we get some sand back and we can have an open view of the sea and Negros instead of sneaking between buildings. By the way, the mega resort is just another "chiss miss" and no one really knows what's going on!
    Salaries paid by foreigners to the locals are usually higher than those paid by filipino business owner.
    The locals have lost their original livelihood many years ago because of the unregulated development and the selfishness of foreigners living on the seashore of Panagsama.
    The environmental situation in Panagsama is a disaster!Thanks to the diving and tourism industry.
    More infos and pics available soon.

7. babel-fish

babel-fish DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Could you please give a link to the actual article.

I feel sorry for the people that have lost a lively hood it used to be a fishing village is this all due to foriegn intervention or also because the government place a restriction on fishing in the area?

Foriegners can not buy land at present only filipino's can own land, but of course the foreigners partner will be the owner on the paperwork. I hate it when greedy people see in an effort to make money interfere uncaringly about local lively hoods. I am surprised that a dive sight has caused such a problem.

8. Typhoon

Typhoon DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    A link to which article do you mean?
    There are no article on the "Moalboal" subject available as far as I know.I have plan to start a new thread on the matter soon and provide pictures to those interested.
    The white sand beach in my profile is Panagsama before....
    The link I provided gives a good idea of how development should be done.
    Moalboal is on page 82 and up (not 24).Check also page 7 on Dumaguete and "the life cycle of tourist area" diagram.
    The whole problem is due to the tourism and diving industry who (with a few exceptions) are just after their own profit, and also the municipality who couldn't care less about what has been going on for the last 25 years...
    The strange thing is that they don't realize that they are killing their own businesses.

9. Diver

Diver DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Hello Thyfoon.

I came to Dumaguete (Dauin) 8 years ago and when I was walking on the beach the fishingman where invite me to drink someting with them .
    When you walk now in the same area there is no fishersman anymore because there are now houses and diveresorts.
    But what can I say , I am also guilty as everyone over here, cos my hobby is diving.

Greetings J.Diver

10. babel-fish

babel-fish DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    sorry got confused how the threads opened up, it look on my screen to be a new article and I was answer just a comment, sorry for the confusion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.