Dumaguete Info Search

Movies shot in Dumaguete?

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by nicogiraldi, Sep 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nicogiraldi

nicogiraldi DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Dear friends, I am in love with movies & specially with the locations where movies were shot. At present, I am preparing a documentary about the movie locations in Hong Kong & since I will move to live in Manjuyod shortly I would like to know if moviemakers have ever used Dumaguete as a movie plateau.

Does anyone know if Dumaguete has been used as movie location in local or international movies?
    I found out international cult director Eddie Romero was born in Negros Oriental.

Greetings from Spain

2. balustre

balustre DI Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    I can remember a popular Philippine actor (Vic Diaz) come to Dumaguete to shoot some scenes sometime in the late 60's but I can not remember the name of the movie nor have seen the movie. One local site used was the Silliman amphitheater. I also recall that some foreign movie company was in Dumaguete in the early 70's to shoot underwater scenes in Sumilon. I remember that they used a dead shark (lol) as prop but sad to say, I can't remember the title of that movie. The underwater director was known to be the same one who directed a James Bond underwater scene.

Perhaps other Dumaguete senior citizens can remember more clearly.

3. balustre

balustre DI Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    "The Passionate Strangers" 1966

4. kjigs

kjigs DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    "CLOSE TO YOU" which stars John Lloyd Cruz and Bea Alonso, "Bubble Gang" - gag show

5. archon_manofsteel

archon_manofsteel DI Forum Adept Blood Donor

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Blood Type:
    B+
    the infamous "Dumaguete Scandal".. hehe.. :D

6. jellyfish

jellyfish DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    Nicogiraldi, I don't know about the existence of such films today.
    But we (our place) are contacted a week ago by a Philippine filming team to make a film in the surrounding of Dumaguete.
    It will become a full length film. They want to start the recordings here next month.
    So something is in the make :smile:

7. OP
    OP
    nicogiraldi

nicogiraldi DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It sounds great!

I am going to produce a kind of documentary about hong Kong filming locations ( including interview with some local people who lived that golden era of HK cinema) that will be included in some dvd releases in Spain as extra features.

I love Filipino action movies from the 60's, 70's & 80's!!!!and also the fantastic weird movies of Weng Weng.

If you have time please visit my blog

Weng Weng Blog

8. aying

aying DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    nicogiraldi,

sometime in the 80's Teche Agbayani starred in a film titled "Kamakalawa"... was filmed completely in Dumaguete and surrounding areas.

90's, Regine Velasquez and Aga Mulach also did a film in Bais...

and lately a film was shot partly in Antulang.... sorry dont have much details ....

9. gotz

gotz DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Yes, in 1982, Kamakalawa was filmed here. Places filmed was the Nipa plantation in Sta. Monica and Valencia's rivers. Christopher De Leon, Tetchie Agbayani, Raul Aragon and Chat Silayan lead the cast. Its a Fantasy movie.

10. nead

nead DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Latest movie being shot here (October 2008)

HANDUMANAN
    Directed by:
    Seymour Sanchez
    Production:
    Independent (Sponsored by Cinemalaya Foundation and National Commission for Culture and the Arts)
    Release Date:
    First quarter of 2009
    Setting:
    Dumaguete City
    Main Cast:
    Chin-Chin Gutierrez, Jason Abalos, Akihiro Sato

Behind-the-scenes in Cafe Antonio

[​IMG]
    Chin-Chin being prepped by a local stylist

[​IMG]
    Akihiro Sato (The most popular Japanese-Bazilian model in South-East Asia today is going to have this as his debut movie here in the Philippines) waiting for the set-up to finish

[​IMG]
    Direk Seymour planning for the next scene

============

This film, having Dumaguete as it's main setting, although, not the first time, will surely be something special and something to look forward to. For one thing, it is sponsored by the Cinemalaya Foundation and the NCCA (Both will not just sponsor any Independent movie unless it's going to be a really good one) which will have high possibilities that this film will get to join in international film festivals. It will be a big exposure for Dumaguete, for sure, and hopefully, soon, Dumaguete will not be only known for it's academic industry, but also get head-to-head with other places in the film industry. Dumaguete was specially chosen by the director with influence from Chin-Chin Gutierrez who just love Dumaguete so much and has just recently found her second home here.

Back in 2006, Dumaguete (specificaly Silliman U) starred in Star Cinema's Closer to You. The scenes were nice but it was only Dumaguete in wallpaper. That was it.

I just hope and pray that Dumaguete will be well presented in this film just like how other movie-makers presented other places such as Donsol (in DONSOL), Bohol (in PANAGHOY SA SUBA), Negros Occidental (in ORO PLATA MATA), Batanes (in BATANES), and so on........

God Bless to the crew behind the film! Post-production is on-going.

photos and pertinent information from ian casocot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.