Dumaguete Info Search

moving to Dumaguete from uk

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by Stilo, Nov 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. India-One

India-One DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    yah, they taste similar snake, but if i were to choose I'll go for eels especially Moray eel fired or cooked with coconut juice extract, hummmmm, sarap!

2. pickled_newt

pickled_newt DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +17 / 12
    You must be talking about San Miguel in Bacong Stilo,we nearly bought a land there. Talking about snakes,snakes are largely persecuted animals in the Philippines ,originating out of ignorance by the people.To many locals once they see snakes they are up to kill these poor creatures .I haven't heard of any stories of fatal incidents of snake bites.I would not be worried about snakes in dumaguete or neigboring towns.There are phytons but that if you go further in areas less frequented by people.

You should not be worried of snakes but rather to worry of mosquitos ,there are several types of mosquitos flying around that'll suck up bit of your juice (most are harmless ) but of these flying suckers you should avoid (hard to distinguish from others ) aedis aegypti mosquito that carry and make you ill of ( dengue hemorrhagic fever ) dengue fever as locally known.There's no known anti dengue medications as protection ,like anti-malaria tablets to take before you travel . Again not scare mongering here ,but you're more likely to see mosquitos on your first few hours on arrival than snakes .Best is buy an insect repellent before you set foot in the Philippines,or once in dumaguete buy at the pharmacy,even Super Lee plaza has got this perfumed insect repellent for kids .Your GP will tell you about this dengue as prevalent in the area , even Malaria but dunno where it come from because there's no malaria in Negros.

3. OP
    OP
    Stilo

Stilo DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    :D hi there P.N. thanks for your advice,i do take anti malairia tablets, but didn't know they weren't effective agains't Denge fever, will see if i can find out more. i do bring insect repelante and i only forgot once to apply and then got the bites on my legs 3 good ones, bites not my legs. yes the San Miguel is at Bacong, we stayed at hot springs for a week and Eldorado for ten days, not far from the future father-in-laws, no food at hot springs but we liked the food at Eldorado and plenty of it. I really enjoyed the stay there nice and quite. thanks for your info, Stilo (the Bionic Man).:D

4. pickled_newt

Ratings:
    +17 / 12
    We haven't heard of 'hot springs' accomodation Stilo, is that near the bubbly hot springs in Dauin ?

5. OP
    OP
    Stilo

Stilo DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Hot springs

Hi P.N. Hot springs resort is just out of Bacong,town, past the Gas station on the left, and a couple of hundred yrds on the left there is a sign saying springs resort and a drive down, diagonly opposite is a house and as usual a shop, this is my fiance'e aurnt's house/shop. the jeepneys turn round there also to go back to Duma, Eldorardo is a mile or so farther towards Dauin.there is a track beside the house/shop, this is the road to my future father-in-laws house. about half a mile. Last time we took a short cut through the bush, and i half expected a Japaness soldier to jump out at us, it had been raining so it was very real. anyway i digress the owner of hot springs is an Austrian and very nice chap, they have a nice pool, it has only a short shallow end, so non swimmers beware, they hope to have food next year. the accomadation is all detached and have kitchens, the two large ones near the beach have no kitchen but a fridge freezer. Well thanks for your interest, Cheers, Stilo, (the Bionic man):D

6. pickled_newt

Ratings:
    +17 / 12
    Thanks for the info Stilo, not so well informed of the new places sprouting in the area.We have this lonely planet guidebook latest edition but seem lacking of content .Have to check that out next time.

7. RHB

RHB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 2
    In answer to yor original question. Car can be had as litl as 90,000-170,000 Pesos for the Japanese surplus "multi van, cab, easy ride". All based on a 600cc engine very compact chassis. All suzuki based, you will se "scrum" Suzuki" and a few other names on them. They are cheap, generic, very economical and easy to park. downside is they are small, especially if you are 6' plus. I am, I own one, and have managed to move the driver seat back. To register this type of car figure 2000 Peso plus for a year plus 7-800 insurance, third party limited liability. These cars are literally cut apart, shipped to Philippines as scrap, and somewhat skillfully reassembled here by various dealer networks.

Other "real" cars are also available surplus, most popular are the Pajero type SUV's 150,000 up average 250,000 P.-400,000. Ken's trading is one of the more reputable dealers, ask for Jun Jun. He has a wide variety of cars, vans, suv's.

Lately if you are looking for a new car there are several new dealers opening here. Suzuki, I think is the latest. Kia another, look around.

If you are real adventurous, ther are shops here that will literally build you a jeep from the ground up, 200,000 plus turnkey.

Otherwise you will have to go to Cebu and look.

THe only snakes you need fear are along the BVLD.

8. OP
    OP
    Stilo

Stilo DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    cars

:smile: hi RHB, thanks for the info on cars, and running same will file and save. Perhaps you can tell me how i go on about getting a driving licence. I have a full Britsh licence inc. all motor cycles, do i have to take a test of a sort, and can i get the licence in Dumaguete?, thanks to every one at the site for a good enlightening read, i am still laughing at the jokes. Are the snakes on the BLVD female? Byeee, Stilo (the Bionic man).:D

9. Swany

Swany DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Hahaha, I guess so Stilo! Don't worry, they are not venomous, I'm sure. :D:smile:

10. chrissar

chrissar DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 1
    Other female snakes found in the boulevard maybe venomous Swan, if they don't have proper health check up. EEEeeeeeee, he'll find himself in a real shock of his life. So, Stilo, keep away from these kind of snakes......... BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Run as fast you can.:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.