Dumaguete Info Search

Multicabs

Discussion in '☋ Expat Section ☋' started by SteveB, Mar 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teacher

Teacher DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Teacher
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    Multivan

SteveB The Multivan is possibly one of the best investments you can make. You can take them anywhere the best thing to have on the Filipino roads. You can even rent it out and make a little cash. I had ten people in one once and still had lots of power. Best deal is to be found in Cebu they are many dealers but you will have to go I don’t think you will find them on the NET. If you know a Filipino who can deal for you maybe you can get a better price.

Oh yeah make sure you buy a 12value don't buy a 6values have no power.

2. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0

A new one can be had for around P700,000, it's called the Suzuki APV. Used ones are slightly less. Surplus units can be had for much less, and are only as good as the Filipino who put it back together. Surplus units come from the wrecking yards of Japan, and are shipped in as parts and put back togather by the various shops here. They can be very good, or very bad, depending on the craftsman and how much time and effort he put forth to refurbish it. Generally, if running correctly they will get about 13 KM per liter of fuel.

There are some reputable dealers in Cebu, who put out a good product and stand behind it. Atlas, Pasajero, and Reliance seem to put out well put together units. There are many other places that only worry about how the vehicle looks, to make it sellable. Some of these units are sold with the same engine oil and filter that it had sitting in the wrecking yard in Japan. I work on these units on a regular basis, so have gotten a lot of experiecne with different place's vehicles. There is an account of one man's experience with Shem here;

Yahoo! Groups

My advice, check it out well, or have someone check it out well. they can be a great rig, OR, a disaster.

Larry

3. Pedro

Pedro DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Programmer, Photographer and Web Developer
    Ratings:
    +73 / 5
    I see a lot of them in Dumaguete with the Suzuki markings on them and wondered where they were coming from. I really liked that some were fully enclosed while others where cut up leaving the back exposed and open for easier, quicker access.

4. David Finlay

David Finlay DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    yesterday I visited Atlas and Pasajero in Cebu. The two Atlas places I visited have VERY extensive security around their places, which might not say much for customer satisfaction, although I know a foreigner who bought one from them and is happy. Atlas weld them back together, tops cut off to put them into containers. Very little to nothing is done to the engine, so its a lottery about getting a good one, probably hence the fences. Pasajero overhaul their units. Not sure how safe they are, you certainly would not want a minor accident (head on) as I think you would loose you legs.

5. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    I disagree. There is no power difference at all, in fact the specs are the same as far as HP goes. The only difference is the 12 valve developes the power at a lower RPM.

The 12 valve is also four times as difficult to work on when anything regarding the head is concerned, and twice as likely to develop valve train problems.

Larry

6. garbonzo

garbonzo DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    Won't express an opinion on the multicabs....but their genetics are rock solid...We've had two Suzuki Carry's vans (APV in the Philippines) at work....one was a '91 model that we ran into the ground....the body eventually rotted due to the salt water we are always ferrying and the inevitable spills...but the engine etc never missed a beat...two years ago we replaced it with another one..even has air-conditioning...both tough as nails vehicles that have been thrashed mercilessly...Am really impressed, very good value and cost almost nothing to run....

7. osodelnorte

osodelnorte DI Forum Adept Restricted Account Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +254 / 86
    Original Multicab

I was following a multicab the other day on my bike and I was going 90 kph and that thing was pulling away from me quickly. Was really suprised and happy to see as I am interested in purchasing one.

Does anyone know the email address for Rusco Motors?

8. Lukester

Lukester DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Buying a multi-cab? I did.

I bought and have owned my multi-cab van for almost 2.5 years. I bought my van at Nitos in Mandaue which is very near the SM Mall, just up the main road a bit. At Nitos, they will build your vehicle to your specs. It took 5 weeks for them to build it. I advise getting a 4x2, with air-con, automatic tranny. 4x4 is almost never needed and it is extra weight and it is just another thing that can breakdown. Air-con is a must, but expect gas mileage to decrease by 33%. I get 17+ kpl without air-con running and around 11 kpl with it on.

Don't buy a multi-cab by yourself from anyone unless you have some knowledge of motor mechanics. Nitos rebuilt my van as ordered, but several things were amiss like the paint job was half-@ss, missing nuts and bolts here and there, the door locks were not keyed alike or at all. The driver's door could be opened with any key before I noticed it. The engine runs well with lots of power. Ask for the SCRUM engine. It is the stronger one of the mix. 660cc, 12 valve, EFI, and turbo charged.

Nitos honors their warranty of 30 days. I paid 150,000 for mine. It can with new tires and rims also. I understand that the multi-cab retain their resale value quite well. I believe I can sell mine someday for 125,000 since I maintain mine very well.

You should expect normal repairs will be needed while owning your USED rebuilt multi-cab. I have replaced the timing belt, water pump, front shocks, center bushing in the steering linkage, and rebuilt part of the cooling system destroyed by corrosion. Nothing major has been done to the engine except normal maintenance.

Finding a good mechanic is a bother. I go to Autolink which is the left turn my the Kia dealership heading north on the North road. Go about 500m up the road on the left side. Ask for Buddy. But, stay with your vehicle and watch what the OJT mechanics are doing or not doing. I once saw some junior mechanic trying to remove a lug bolt from my rear wheel hub with a sledge hammer! YIKEES!!!

Good luck with your multi-cab. I like mine!

9. OP
    OP
    SteveB

SteveB DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    I agree that if you are buying the van model, 2 wheel drive is ok. However, if you buy the pick-up, they are very light in the rear end end you might find that 4X4 is more useful, especially if you travel around Valencia or up any of the mountain roads. I also agree that they are probably the best vehicle for this area, except in an accident or unless you are tall or big, in which case, you might have trouble squeezing in! They are pretty good on gas and are easy to drive on these small side roads and easy to find parking in town. Also, they can be repaired on virtually every corner and there is an abundance of parts, both new and surplus, readily available.

As far as mechanics, Larry, who has posted above, is very knowledgeable about multicabs and has the advantage of being able to understand us poor foreigners when we try to describe our problem. There is also a good mechanic named Timmy that has a shop on the Valencia Road across from the ice plant called GJM. His prices are reasonable and he has over 30 years experience, including 16 years in Saudi Arabia. He rebuilt my Toyota diesel engine completely and it works great.

I will be posting my 4X4 pickup here in the next couple weeks for P60,000 so I find P150,000 a bit steep since you will probably have to replace many parts anyway as you stated above and since you can buy a surplus 660 cc engine, 4X4 transmission and transfer case for only P24,000 or less.

Good luck.

Steve

10. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0

The biggest single mistake many make when buying a multicab is buying the wrong configuration for their use. To tell someone to buy only an automatic with AC is bound to cause someone grief if they follow that advice. There are numerous configurations, and one should buy the configuration that best suits THEIR needs, not someone else's needs. Someone buying a 2X4 van with an automatic is going to be highly disappointed if their main use is for a farm in the mountains!

Three of the most reputable dealers in Cebu are Atlas, Pasajero, and Hilton.

Larry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.