Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: NegOr Gov orders removal of tourism billboard

1. Roadwitch80

Roadwitch80 DI Member

Ratings:
    +315 / 62
    Why anyone would think that photo was tourism-worthy is what confuses me. Looks like someone stole the photo off someone’s phone. Doesn’t look like a professional photographer took it. Focus is also on the couple and not on the dolphins, which begs the question on which part of the tourism trade they were promoting.

• Agree Agree x 5
  2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I don't think it has anything to do with being sexually suggestive. Plenty of billboards in Manila have far more sexually suggestive material on them.

I personally don't like the billboard and think it could have been done much better but I see little in the way of inappropriate behavior being pictured. Looks more like a honeymoon than a sexpat advertisement to me. Are foreigners not allowed to be photographed showing affection to a Filipina significant other (even though we really don't know her nationality). Would the outrage have been the same if it were a much more attractive, younger and less obese white foreigner? Or how about if it were an Asian foreigner? Me thinks not. However, I can see where some people may take it the wrong way. I just wish people would be honest about why they don't like it and give the REAL reason. (I believe they think it implies/promotes sex tourism and for desperate men to visit the country because some people believe Filipinas have a reputation for being easy. Or possibly because they are racist and don't want white men in their country.)

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. wolvhund

wolvhund DI Member

Ratings:
    +121 / 36
    Old white guy with young Filipina. Might be factual but it is not what most Filipinos want portrayed. I don't think it is offensive but it also wasn't a really good choice of image, it just isn't that appealing.

• Agree Agree x 2