Dumaguete Info Search

New guy .. Driving to Dumaguete .. Hotel Question

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by Turbota, May 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Turbota

Turbota DI Member

Retired Military Pilot / Fed Civil Service
    Ratings:
    +107 / 18
    Hello folks ... This is my first post on the board. :smile:

I am an American, and my wife and I live in Bacolod City. We are planning to drive our car down to Dumaguete on Tues. Just a little get away for maybe 3 nights or so. I have never been to Dumaguete before, so I am hoping this will be an enjoyable ride and a fun 2 or 3 days down there.

The deal is, I have no clue how many hotels or resorts are in the area. I really think we would rather stay at a beach resort instead of some stuffy hotel downtown. We don't plan on scuba diving ... just relaxing on the beach and eating out at night.

I did a Google search and found some travel agencies on-line that advertise like 50% off the regular room rates if you book through them, but I get the feeling if you just walk in the door, I might not pay anymore than booking online. What do you think about that idea?

Also, any recommendations for a nice place to stay that's located on a beach someplace in the area? (again, we do have a car, so we don't have to be right in town)

Would 2,000 pesos per night be too cheap? ... I have no idea how much a mid-priced resort room costs down there at this time of the year for just me and my wife ... I guess it's High Season (high prices) right now?

Do most of these "beach resorts" take US issues Mastercards, or would I be better off paying for the room in cash?

Sorry about all the questions ... but I don't have a clue.

Thank's so much for any and all info you could provide ... just looking for a place to stay

Ron,
    Bacolod City

2. OP
    OP
    Turbota

Turbota DI Member

Ratings:
    +107 / 18
    Maybe I posted this in the wrong forum?

3. grandpainak

grandpainak DI Forum Patron Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +700 / 163
    Please

contact me by email or privet message.
    My wife was born and raised in Dumaguete and we have been back many times over the last 21 years. We will be there this July and I will be staying for a month. I will be going to Bacolcd to check it out as a posable "home town". Feel free to check out my Public Profile here on this form.

Email

Jim

4. c_rymz

c_rymz DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    that is the telephone number for Santa Monica Beach Resort...try to contact them...035 420 0155‎...i hope i helped you....good day!

5. OP
    OP
    Turbota

Turbota DI Member

Ratings:
    +107 / 18
    Thank you sir ...

6. c_rymz

c_rymz DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    im a lady...heheheh...good day:smile:

7. garbonzo

garbonzo DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    You're probably already gone...but if it was me going to Sipalay from Bacolod...I'd stay at Artistic Diving and get Arthur to pick me up in Bacolod. He's up there often anyway.....I'm sure he'd charge an equitable amount....but that road to Sipalay was shredded last time we went...and I suppose the two guys we saw in December with the small sledge hammers are still there...making progress another 500 meters down the road...If the price was right I'd let Arthur run his Suzuki into the ground - before I stuffed up my own vehicle....Slow season now - so most resorts are very negotiable....

8. OP
    OP
    Turbota

Turbota DI Member

Ratings:
    +107 / 18
    garbonzo ... It's been raining on and off all day long, so we haven't left yet. If it's raining in the morning, I am going to cancel this until the weather gets better.

I did some searching on the internet and found about 3 places in Sipalay that looked ok.

1. Bermuda Beach Resort

2. Nataasan Beach Resort

3. Easy Beach Resort (appears to be co-located with a resort called Robinson Cruse Beach Resort) ... two of the same?

You mentioned Artistic ... That looked good too, but after reading some bad reviews of the place, I am a little gun-shy to try it out.

9. garbonzo

garbonzo DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    Hope the weather is getting better up there. Had more than enough rain during the ‘dry’ season according to relatives grumbling. Of the resorts you listed…..If it was to plain relax and enjoy….Nataasan would probably be the pick of the litter. When we were there we climbed up to that resort (Artistic is only about 100 metres away) and had a couple drinks and snacks. It was closed at the time for renovation of the cottages etc – so no guests. The new owners, an American and his Filipina wife, were doing a considerable amount of work to freshen up the place and it was looking great. The view from the balcony is one of the best I’ve ever seen. I see they have a new website and the place is all up and running now.

Artistic was fine for us though. Never placed a lot of faith in reviews. Often there are ulterior motives behind them….and some people are chronic whingers anyway. It was comfortable, prices were fine, food was good, and staff friendly and cheerful. Nearly all the guests were German and we got along well with their limited English and my severely limited German.

So where you at in Bacolod? We bought some lots in Town and Country north out near Talisay a couple years ago. Debating on whether we’ll actually build there or not. Happy enough down here and the economics of moving there are looking less attractive than they were – but may still do it. Anyway, have a nice time when you get to Sipalay. It’s great to unwind there….

10. OP
    OP
    Turbota

Turbota DI Member

Ratings:
    +107 / 18
    garbonzo ... Today it looks much better outside, but my wife is still sleeping and I don't want to get a late start for Sipalay, so I may just go tomorrow.

You bought a couple of lots in Town and Country!

Well, we would be neigbors if you ever build on those lots ... I am within 1 month of completing construction on our house in Ayala North Point, right next door to Town and Country.

Ron,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.