Dumaguete Info Search

New Here

Discussion in '☋ Expat Section ☋' started by boricua, Jun 17, 2011.

1. boricua

boricua DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi everyone. I am new to this board and am happy to be here. I am not retired military, however I spend 8 yrs in the Army. I currently have 40% disability with the VA (PTSD, Tinnitus) and Social Security disability. I was also married to a filipina for 7 yrs and have been to the PI about 15 times. I will be 65 in August and am diabetic. I currently get my service and non service connected medication thru the VA. I have done some research and everything I have read seems to indicate that I should be ok regarding my medication via the VA clinic in Manila. As far as where I want to live is concerned, I have narrowed it down to Dumaguete, Olongapo, Bagio and Tagatay. My girlfriends family is from Biliran and so I am looking to live somewhere that will be convenient for an occasional visit but far enough so as not to get involved with the constant family issues which I know will arise. Dumaguete seems to be a good choice. Cost of living is also a factor and again I thing Dumaguete fits the bill. I look forward to any advise and input.

2. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,540 / 1,016
    Boricua, welcome to the DI forum. Given your Biliran requirement, it would seem either Dumaguete or Tagatay would work for you, closer ferry access. Tagatay is nice and there are at least two malls and lots of restaurants close by in Santa Rosa; however, there is basically one hiway going up to Tagatay and the cost of living is higher. Baguio is a long drive to Manila and the hiway can get flooded when a typhoon goes through, whereas Dumaguete is protected from typhoons. Olongopo, not so fond of it. Subic seems to be primarily Korean-owned businesses. Dumaguete, well it is a sleepy town with traffic problems in the center but all in all not bad for retirement and lots of foreigners here and the locals are friendly. Good luck.

3. Manzanita

Manzanita DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    The VA clinic in Manila is a bit dodgy in getting the meds to the veteran in time. Sometimes there's days and days they won't pick up the phone at their pharmacy, so plan ahead if you need important stuff.

4. OP
    OP
    boricua

boricua DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the info. Good to know that because I can get away with waiting for some of my meds but not my insulin. I'm taking two types of insulin and it is critical that I store a good supply.

5. OP
    OP
    boricua

boricua DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm really considering Dumaguete. My girlfriend wants to live near her family, but I know that is going to cause major problems for me. Going to have to convince her that Biliran is not an option considering my need to receive my meds from the VA clinic. I know that Dumaguete is a lot closer to Cebu RAO vs Biliran. I'm born and raised in MYC and have no use for big city life. I look forward to sharing info with everyone.