Dumaguete Info Search

New in Dumaguete and needs a job...any employer suggestions?

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by Tweeter1061, Jun 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richard08

richard08 DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am so sorry if that sounds a ridiculous conclusion to you,,I only said probably they are working as teachers, but I did not say all those with Good English skills are working ask teachers, they must have been with other better jobs than call center. TT has problems finding employees with the necessary English skills as you've said. Well I guess they failed to complete their homework before putting up a business here in dumaguete. They better move to US, China, India or any place with better chances of getting employees with the Good English skills they require.

2. richard08

richard08 DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Then why are call centers putting up their business here?

Prove it

We are here talking about dumaguete not cebu, but anyway where in dumaguete are you working or planning to work as an agent with a 24k as salary. FYI a teacher and a policeman in dumaguete has even higher salary than the agents in Teletech, Ventus, and qualcom here in dumaguete.

3. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    another wild assumption without any basement...

you might be right... which is again a absolute shame for a University town...

well, they have plenty of CC in the PI already where they don't have that problems.

All your points going in the direction of a "scratched Dumaguetenio pride", what is another Problem of Dumaguete. Living in a "Pink Bubble" instead of recognizing and accepting problems, plus trying to do something about it...

and this are no pointless arguments, this comes from reading through hundreds of job application and interviews with local college and university Graduates.

BTW, we are talking about the OFFICIAL business language of your country, which should be fluent spoken and written by each high-school graduate of this university-town, shouldn't it ???

Sadly you show the typical attitude that everything else and each company is guilty but of course not the holy Dumaguete education facilities.

For an outsider like me with only 2 years english in school as a second language it is pretty obvious that there is something horribly wrong in this system where kids are not allowed to speak the local dialect and are required (even during their breaks) to speak english the whole day at school .... but still don't get it half way done...

4. richard08

richard08 DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you run a company business, failed to check these so called English Skills, and blame the schools what a nice attitude is that, Qualcom, Ventus and the rest should have been warn by you before coming to these horribly dumaguete.

Well maybe TT should stop such minimum requirement like at least 2nd years in college level, instead make it at least top 10 of the dean list regardless of which college department they belong. Well if that's pride or pointless for you, what can I do anyway?

Good for you, a fast learner than any german in town, in 2 years your english sounds top in rank compared to anyone locally. But I had a bad experience with the last 2 germans I met before, they love to judge people and the best thing is their english Sucks. A grade one elementary student at Siliman University can speak english fluently better.

I wonder what if Teletech dumaguete moves to germany. That would probably resolve their english skills problem.

5. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    well, thanks for the compliment about my English, but it is not about how Germans speak English, it is about how it is taught and spoken as Your official language in your country ...

and again ... typical attitude... instead of being thankful to have several companys here which create jobs for thousands of young people and therefore helping financially probably 5 times as much family-members ... just ranting about them ... what a shame...

6. richard08

richard08 DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    So TT, Ventus, Qualcom and etc are coming here to dumaguete to create jobs for thousands of young people despite of these lack of Good English Skills problem here in dumaguete. Now you blame the universities and school for these. Is that a typical business attitude you spend more time just ranting the problem than solving?

7. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    well, I am not a Pinoy, I actually have a job AND I solved my problems with outsourcing... so I certainly did what you suggested. It took me only some month here to do that.
    While the local educational facilities take now 23 years and still don't teach your own official language appropriate. This is not ranting, this is telling the sad facts, of course they might not be seen through pink glasses.

8. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    For what it's worth :D

I saw in the Thursday edition of the Philippine Inquirer Newspaper that the Philippine government is going to implement longer "standard" schooling by two years. The plan is to have it up and running within 5 years. They are admitting that the students cannot learn all that they are trying to teach them in the time given. Sounds like a step in the right direction. Hopefully it is implemented and helps!

9. richard08

richard08 DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Look what you've done up there, you yourself said you are ranting,:eek: Yes I know you are no pinoy, that's why it's so easy for you to judge me for such attitude you can imagine,,,Asking why those call centers are putting up their business here despite of the lack of good english skills, doesn't mean i am not thankful to them, the point is through outsourcing the compensation of 5 local agents here is equal to one salary compensation in the US, its cheap right? and you yourself know that. And we all know if its cheap we can't always expect it to be always top in quality. Call center is not for everybody and nobody can force the top students of the universities here to work such unhealth work with such low salary rate we have here in dumaguete. I have known I few but they prefer working in Cebu and Manila. Others grab their chance abroad and some are working on export processing zone all around the country. Some even refuse to work here and continue to work in Cebu and manila call centers.

10. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    ??? errrrmmm, read again and you might understand who and what i mean with "typical attitude and ranting. (if not, blame my german-english)

Why companies choose certain areas to invest has many reasons. low salary is for sure one of them, but also might be (like you mentioned) homework not done, higher expectations, several promises/benefits (which the public will never hear of). Some even go into areas as they just need to be persent, even they know it won't be that successful

I also do not talk about top students at all ...

I do believe that it is a very fair and appropriate question why the self-announced learning center in the central Visayas can not teach the countries own official language. And that in mainly english-only schools 10 hours a day, 5 days a week, 9 month a year and (lets keep it low) 10 years.

I really apologize if I am that far off the track, but shouldn't that be enough to speak and write the language fluent ? ... and not only the top students, basically each high-school graduate...

I also doubt that 2 years more would help much in that field, but that is speculation and time will tell.

A closer look into the curriculum might help more. This two years could be easily included in the existing one with reducing many of the not really effective lessons and activities.

I need to accept (but do not need to understand) why a 4th grader need to learn at school how to wash the hair of each other, just to give you one example.
    Take of 4 weeks yearly from the 10 weeks preparation for whatever "really important" event, and you got the 2 years extra included in the existing one.

Richard, this is not ranting, this is trying to understand why things are like that. Solutions are generally found by identifying and removing the problem.

In all fairness, many teacher here really do their best but most of them have the job as a teacher but are none and never learned how to teach in a proper way, they can't be blamed at all.

Closing the eyes from the reality and telling "all is fine and if they don't like it they can invest somewhere else" does not really help anybody, just let us fall further behind.

Anyway, a wonderful Sunday-evening and a successful week
    off for Formula 1 and football

cheers

Rhoody

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.