Dumaguete Info Search

new motor bike

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by richardg, Jul 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jj83

jj83 DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I'm 5'11" and my XR is still a bit of a stretch to mount, although I do have a 2" extended kickstand which makes the bike more upright/taller when parked. IMHO the KLX seems akin to a 3/4 size XR (in displacement, power, and overall dimensions). The biggest downfall to the XR is the nearly useless rear drum-brake, the KLX has disks both front and rear which will definitely come in handy. That said, I've put almost 5k km on my XR200 since late-April and she's never had so much as a flat tire (with preventative maintenance).

I bought my 2010 XR200 second hand with 6k km for p95k, brand new it was 131,000 from GUDMoto, 138k sounds pretty steep. If you want to try out an XR for a day or longer you can rent one from the moto tours place in the Airport.

2. SidfromSydney

SidfromSydney DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Having owned 2 XR's and now still have one. The XR is bullet proof. Rear shock is Ok, better to change the fork oil with a quality product. The rear brake is ok also, after all its only 200 cc's. useful mods are fit an after market exhaust and throw away the rubber boot over the air filter inlet under the seat. It makes it a really good little bike.

What parts would the US market want. Am pretty sure the XR is only sold in PHil, production in other countries stopped about 16 years ago.

Consider the Kawasaki Baja Rouser 200/220 Have one of them also. Good little bike, about 96,000 peso's

3. SurfinUSA

SurfinUSA DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    That wasn't explained to me, but my friend pointed at the engine saying he'd been told by the Honda rep that some internal part that fit all XRs was being hogged by XRs going to the US.

I didn't see point in going into it with him further because in the end, there just aren't any/many new XRs for sale. Which could be one reason the price has jumped?

4. simple mind

simple mind DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 4
    That story could still be true but the parts not going to the US but to South America where
    Honda is selling a model called a XL200 with the identical engine as the model sold here.:wink:

Attached Files:

5. OP
    OP
    richardg

richardg DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the replies.
    I noticed after some research that in most countries that the XR 200 is discontinued.
    But its been around that long i figure they have been perfected.
    I was a bit worried after what JJ83 said about the height, me being short.
    I am short and dont weigh much, so its probably a good start.
    The kawasaki 150 is a bit lower and i have not ridden a motorbike for 30 years, (but have been riding a push bike so should not be to bad).
    Also here in Australia after checking the 150 out, they call it a 140 and the specs beimg the same.
    So i figure the motor being 144cc the Phils rounded it up and Aus rounded it down.
    Also its a lot more expensive over here in Australia and it does not come on the road (trail only).
    This i figure is a good starting point and can allways upgrade later and give this to one of my kids in a year or so.
    Thanks for all your help, will let you know the outcome on the purchase.
    Cheers..Richard

6. expatron

expatron DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +514 / 126
    Side note, the XR and XLR can be lowered, there is an adjustment under the seat. Also it is very cheap to convert the rear drum break to the disc type. I agree the original drum brake is a little weak.
    Ron

7. SurfinUSA

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    There's an old Honda 650L? down across from the airport at Ken's Trading with dual headlights for (gasp) P350T.

Nice, but not that nice.

8. SurfinUSA

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Anyone know shops in Dgte doing a quality motard conversion to the XR200 for a good price?

9. simple mind

simple mind DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 4
    You can contact Nuvel Ruiz at Hibbart Ave. Tugas Piapi, Cell number:09264551455 or (035) 225 59 48,
    I have no financial interests what so ever, Nuvel is the Guy who does virtually all "Motard" conversions in Dumaguete he has TIG and MIG welders, Plasma Torch etc.

I have to say that despite of the high skill level of Nuvel(he worked at Power Plants in Japan)I still do not like this kind of conversions...:(

10. SurfinUSA

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I was told there was a guy down off Hibbard Ave. Probably the same guy.

Thas for the contact info!

:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.