Dumaguete Info Search

Nicest resorts in Dumaguete / Dauin area?

Discussion in '☋ Tourist Information ☋' started by Turbota, Sep 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    Addendum to Atmosphere

They charge 5% more if you use a credit card rather than cash...

2. sntmig

sntmig DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +121 / 17
    Turbota...El-Dorado hands down for value,ambiance and food...It is in an ideal area for snokeling/diving,strolling.. It is casual in a "classy" way.(go for one of the ocean front rooms with the bathtub !!). Web site should have prices..Swiss owner/manager..Miguel

3. OP
    OP
    Turbota

Turbota DI Member

Retired Military Pilot / Fed Civil Service
    Ratings:
    +107 / 18
    I have been out of the house all day so this is the first time I have read some of these replies. And I appreciate it.

Prior to leaving today I did call Atlantis, Atmosphere, Pura Vida and Mikes.

Didn't read the posts where some have mentioned El-Dorado as a good place, so I hadn't had a chance to call them.

Again:

Atlantis: $197 per day for the regular room

Atmosphere: $127 per day

Pura Vida: 4,200 pesos ($95 pr day)

Mikes: 2,500 pesos ($57)

Bahura: No call to them ... bad reviews on the internet

The young lady that I talked to on the phone at Pura Vida seemed to be the nicest. At $95 per day ... it beats Atlantis or Atmosphere, but I can't say how nice the Pura Vida actually is. She claimed it was really nice, but of course, she works there.

At least I will have my car down there and can go from one resort to another and look at these places to see what might be the best deal.

I will also look at the El-Dorado if it's close to the others I mentioned above.

I want to stay at a nice place, but I can't for the life of me understand how these resorts just outside of Duma can charge Boracay prices ... Dauin may be a nice place, but sh*t ... I doubt it is in the same league as Boracay ... but you would never know it by the prices there charging (and it isn't even the high season)!

Ron,

BTW ... Looked at the El-Dorado website. Premium room with ocean view is $113 per day.

Here is a photo of the room:

[​IMG]

No Comment !

4. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    Check out Mike's before paying double or so elsewhere.

Larry

5. firefly

firefly DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 1
    Atlantis is mostly catering to Japanese tourists and you can see it at the price
    It used to be the nicest place long time ago...
    Pura Vida is the smallest you mention but Mike's may certainly compete with them.
    For diving you better select El Dorado or Pura Vida.
    For good food El Dorado or Mike's

6. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    well, for tourists from outside the philippines that cheap bamboo crap is very special ...

nope, they basically cater ONLY american-dive-groups with a few europeans left over from older times

call Mike and tell him Rhoody and Larry recommended, ask for discount, ... he loves us for that ... hehehe. well, I will be there next Sunday - Monday, just leave some prepaid SMB in the fridge...

even for diving I would go to Mike, smaller groups, more flexibility on dive-site, newer equipment, brandnew bangka etc

a word to Boracay, imho Dauin is about 2 leagues higher than Boracay, been there a couple of times and never found anything special, the time you dont have tons of seaweed on the beach, it is korean invaded and basically not much to do, diving and snorkeling sucks and for party I would not go there, there are other places in the PI. well but thats just me.

7. OP
    OP
    Turbota

Turbota DI Member

Retired Military Pilot / Fed Civil Service
    Ratings:
    +107 / 18
    Well, It's 6:45 in the morning and we should be getting in the car and be on our way down there at about 8:00. Hope the drive is not more than about 6 hours.

Personally, I would stay at Mike's, but the couple we are going with want's something more upscale ... so

We are only doing snorkeling (have our own equipment), so won't need scuba gear. Might take one of those boats out to Apo island just to get out of the Dauin beach area for maybe 4-5 hours of snorkling while staying down there.

I am still confused as to where to stay, but I refuse to pay close to $200 a day for a room that don't have the name Hilton, Intercontenental or Marriot associated with it .... so "Atlantis" is out of the question as far as I'm concerned.

Like I said, I am just going to look at all these resorts once we get down there and then make up my mind.

I just don't want to stay at a place that has crappy food or service personel with bad attitudes.

And I think I am going to bring a big styrofoam beer cooler with me and fill it with ice and a 405 peso case of SMB. I am betting that some of these resorts are charging close to 100 pesos per beer down there. If there charging more than $100 per night for a room, you can bet the farm that the beer is overpriced too. :smile:

Ron,

8. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    Please let us know your opinion after checking out all the resorts, and which one you ended up staying at, and why.

9. jellyfish

jellyfish DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    MAYBE you have mentioned it already somewhere but if you go and see all the(se) resorts than you have either time enough during your stay or have ONLY time to visit these resorts :D
    From Malatapay resort (in Zamboanguita) to El Oriente (in Dumaguete) it is 28 km and you can stop as average at each KM to visit a resort !! Take care.....some have fantastic road to reach the resort :wink:.
    I counted once 26 resorts. Maybe today even more, so take your time and don't order at each resort a beer :D

10. testonilo

testonilo DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you can get the lower room near their swimming pool at Mike's, its really awesome. The beach and eating counter and swimming pool where he pre trains scuba divers is within close proximity. This American owned resort is small, quaint, and I rate that particular room 'tops' bar none.

Other resorts are just a short walk along the beach (all within a couple of blocks or so). My favorite place to eat and cool in the shade is El Dorado Beach resort a short stroll away.

So just show up and walk around. ...Scott from Alaska USA.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.