Dumaguete Info Search

Nicknames

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by boomerang, May 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arie

Arie DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    well I think that was a bit uncalled for but there is a point to have some restrictions in leaving personal details on the internet, using your own and complete name invites people to search on you, well you could argue you got nothing to hide but I agree with Jellyfish besides I rather keep my normal email etc spam free.

2. Panday Pera

Panday Pera DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    I thought you are the one who wants openness. You question why we need to hide behind nicknames. I showed you why. I could have done it in a more subtle way I guess but your initial post did not give any hint that you value secrecy.

I did not break into your house an steal a box of photo and your diary, you threw your photos and your diary in the street and when somebody read it in public, you cry foul. If you are proud to display those photos and your life story on your own, on a website that the whole world can see, why do you find it offensive If I summarize it here for you. You're the one who did it, I just merely pointed out to you the danger of doing so, now I am the villain? Are you for real? Anything you posted on the web is fair game. You should have known that before posting personal information.

3. Panday Pera

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    BTW, I noticed that you modified your website already and no more info is visible. So you may be mad at me and embarrased as you said but I can sleep at night knowing that I probably made your life a little safer.

I apologize if I was a bit too rough on my response to your question, if my approached embarrased you. I was never my intention to do so.

Peace..

4. john boy

john boy DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,155 / 230
    Well if nothing else this little demo has proven something to me.
    If we assume we are among friends, some consideration should be given as to the posting of pictures. I have in the past posted pictures of family and friends, but I find it somewhat frightening that another person could do it without my consent.
    sorry but that's how I feel on this subject.
    Out of order.........JB

5. OP
    OP
    boomerang

boomerang DI Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 1
    The Hyves site where on which refer has 5,000,000 members which all operate under their own real name. Even our Prime Minister Jan Peter Balkenende is been a member under his own name. Because of the reputation of real names we treat each in general in public with respect. I come from a country known for its open windowcurtains but have given my experience with the likes of you I had to apply unfortunately restrictions on my pages. By your behavior you lead people to ideas which I did not expect in such a forum. This was my first introduction to a forum and given the experience by you also my last. I am a honest and open man and do not like a site where people anonymously insult and intrude each other.

A simple "peace" does not work for me as I have my pride.

6. Panday Pera

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    JB,
    That's the problem with posting picture in the public domain. Once you do that you lose ownership of that picture, unless of course it is copyrighted.

7. john boy

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,155 / 230
    Panday
    It is not the copyright that bothers me, and of course I would not post the photograph if I didn't want people to see it.
    However, if I posted it on the Dumaguete Forum, I may not want to find it posted elsewhere by somebody else!.......just my point of view.
    I don't believe you meant any harm,but it should be a lesson to all of us.
    regards john

8. Panday Pera

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    And that is the main purpose of that demonstration. He ask the question Why we use a nickname.. (for security reasons), that demonstration as appalling as it may be to him and to most of you illustrate just what you are afraid of. You may not want to see your picture posted somewhere else but that does not mean it's not going to be. Anybody with access to the internet and to the forum can download your picture and use it the way they want to. You have no control over it anymore. So in short, if you don't want it used by others don't post it, simple as that.

I did not invent the internet (Al Gore did), I did not make the rule. It is a nasty place for people who are not careful. I'm just the messenger of what ugly things lurk out there. Identity theft is on the rise because of carelessness and failure of people to apply common sense to situations like this. It is nice that in Eeuwe's country people are open and trusting, but the internet in not limited by the boundaries of his country. I'm sorry he has to learn that the hard way but it could have been worst.

I guess, in a way, if most of you are appalled by it, then I have succceeded in getting my point accross and if you think I am a (female genitalia) or something even worst because of this, then so be it.

9. daffs

daffs DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    The explanation of panday pera is very clear .We just use our common sense.

10. john boy

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,155 / 230
    It's amazing what you can find out

Yes I see what you mean........"Kalbo na daddy ko"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.