Dumaguete Info Search

Not a happy visitor to Duma.

Discussion in 'Tourist Information' started by Oz-Roger, Dec 13, 2014.

1. Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    i read it as sarcastic more than racial provocation, particularly if it from the article. If sarcasm was a ban-able offense I would have been gone a long time ago..:rolleyes:.

2. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    And what if you were a Black Guy? Easy for us to be sarcastic about Colour Dave, We are White!:rolleyes: The Article merely made a mention of some black People are here.

I am finding that more and more of our Locals are most definitely Colour Prejudiced Something I don't think we need to be adding fuel to.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. OP
    OP
    Oz-Roger

Oz-Roger DI Senior Member Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Retired
    Ratings:
    +465 / 137
    I AM TOTALLY PREJUDICED: against liars, cheats, jerks, psuedo ninjas, big shots, braggers, pretend special forces members, nonsensical morons AND bad drivers :mad:- the colour of their skin or their race, creed, religion or accent has absolutely nothing to do with it.:cool:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    And that is the way it should be.

The sarcasm, in the post, if that what was meant could have been offset with a smile. I have heard so may times from Colour Prejudiced people who try and enter Humour that all ends in tears.
    Best left alone, the minority can usually be more offended than we think:smile:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I believe he was pointing out that the comments from the article seemed to come off as a bit discriminating. I also believe there was a fair amount of sarcasm in that post.

Also, if you feel someone is in violation of the rules hit the "Report" button so that the questionable content gets brought to my attention faster. Also please don't add text within quotes. Makes it look like the person said something they didn't.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    Jack, you may be right that there is more and more color prejudiced here. There was no reason to write the original article with an emphasis on the presence of black man.. I could have been wrong but I think that is what the poster was trying to say in his own sarcastic method. . I was hoping that no one was racist here because although I am not black I am part of a minority here as a foreigner. Remember as foreigners we are at the bottom of the totem pole (I hope that is not a racist statement), by the racist or nationalistic people here. As part of a minority here we will be one of the first to be hurt by racism and nationalism, so we should try to limit it. Calling attention to other racism statements is part of the effort to eliminate racism in my opinion.

At the same time I hope so do not get so politically correct (pacifistic) here we have to go around changing the names of sport teams like the "Red Skins" to something like the "Rainbow Skins" or cancel the presense of Santa Claus as a School assembly because one parent objected (both of these issues are going on in the US). :wink: (maybe Justin can add a smiling face indicating sarcasm then we do not have to read the articles so closely) Somewhere there is a medium point here... maybe another San Miguel would help us find it. :wink:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. ok_maybe

ok_maybe DI Junior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +12 / 3
    It's not my quote: " . . . plenty of white men and even blacks in that town." [What? you mean there's blacks too? Who let THOSE people into the country?]

Just a little sarcasm here// the original author's comments seemed a little bigoted to me. Take care everyone!

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. OP
    OP
    Oz-Roger

Retired
    Ratings:
    +465 / 137
    Many visitors to Australia comment on how friendly and welcoming, open, relaxed, intelligent, accomplished, forward thinking, good looking,healthy and wealthy most Australians are, ...........:smile:..............BUT they caution - " watch out for those white bastards" - lol - :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Jack Peterson

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    There Dave lies a big issue in the UK, Growing up in the 60's and then the big race Riots of the 70's & 80's Brought the UK to a Nanny State. after a while i guess we all got used to it, But it taught us to be aware of things around us. When the race discrimination Act was brought in it made people really sit and think about what they said Especially about Colour. calling a Black a "Black man" to his face with menace and/or vengeance, could get you 2 years jail Time. No longer could you recite the nursery Rhyme Baa baa black sheep. The Gollywog was removed from a children's favorite jam (Jelly) and word Black was all but removed from the English Vocabulary in the UK It was a tough time for all but as things went it made things that I saw today stand out like a sore thumb.The Scottish army regiment "The Black Watch" had to be renamed to it's original name the "Royal Regiment of Scotland {The Black Watch} 3rd Battalion but as they say "That's life, i guess we all have to live ours our way but be mindful of others around us.

JP

10. OP
    OP
    Oz-Roger

Retired
    Ratings:
    +465 / 137
    Hey JP, do you remember - " eanie, meanie, minie, moe, catch a.........by the toe..............LOL.........:D.we learnt that as kids, and no one really thought about it being racist, it was just a catchy tune parents used when playing with the kids, catching their toes, and chasing them in a playful game.........:cool: And that was in Australia.

• Like Like x 1