Dumaguete Info Search

not long left for Dumaguete

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by yabs, Jul 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2blackbelts

2blackbelts DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    not long left...

Connosseiur...you said it very well indeed. I agree 100% with you, and look forward to meeting you when we move over.

2 blackbelts

2. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,856 / 1,026
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Thats right Connosseiur well put, and I will look forward to meeting you all in time :smile:

3. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,856 / 1,026
    Blood Type:
    A+
    With all the brits that got exported to OZZ in the 19th centuary, you might be
    related to yabs hehe..... unless your relatives derive from else were :eek:

4. OP
    OP
    yabs

yabs DI Forum Adept Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    conoisseur
    bland concrete malls and macdonalds are not signs of progress my friend.
    It is just a sign of bei ng americanized hardly progress at all.
    If we were in the time of the romans then being romanified would have been progress with nice architecture, roads, bridges and sewage systems
    indeed even better quality food would be available.
    macdonalds offers cancer and disease inducing lowest quality food
    and big malls will be offering overpriced branded clothes, crap jobs and other follies of western Americanized life.
    if you said sewage works were being introduced , laws to limit populaion growth, laws to prevent overfishing, dynamite etc, added hospitals
    and other resturants or even a cultural centre or theatre
    I would call that progress
    people who think Mac's and malls are a sign of progress are sadly very misguided

5. connoisseur

connoisseur DI Member

Self Employed
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    2 Blackbelts and Jim, thank you for your support and understanding of my opinion. Much appreciated.

Yabs, I agree with the stuff you mentioned like:

"if you said sewage works were being introduced , laws to limit populaion growth, laws to prevent overfishing, dynamite etc, added hospitals
    and other resturants or even a cultural centre or theatre
    I would call that progress"

But sad to say, how can Dumaguete attract investors, foreigners, or even have locals that can afford to go to the stuff you mentioned like restaurants (I'm assuming healthy organic one's), cultural centers or theatres if the people and the city for that matter don't progress through means of modernization (Western influence as you put it). Let's face it, how could the city run itself or collect higher taxes if it were just a university city (or semi-town dare I say it)? How can the people afford to give their families proper shelter, food and education? Sure, those laws you mentioned are also signs and ways of progress, but in no way does it help in making Dumaguete progress financially(maybe a little though - case in point "population growth" and "added hospitals"), I also believe those laws will come in due time when the city progresses (in my opinion, progress means more jobs, businesses, exposure, etc. among other things). With that being said, I believe it is both Inevitable and Integral that Dumaguete progresses for the sake of the people living in it and for the city itself to excel and survive in modern times.

6. OP
    OP
    yabs

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    sure but Macdonalds doesn't provide any of that
    Dumaguete is unique and should follow that route for its success
    not follow the shite thats goes oin everywhere else
    technology centres, etc etc to provide decent jobs for the university graduates but robinsons and macdonalds
    please give me a break
    lets see more places like hayahay and less like maccyD's and robinsons

7. connoisseur

connoisseur DI Member

Self Employed
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    I don't see why the "Hayahay" type of restaurant can't coexist with fastfood restaurants like Mcdonald's. I just don't see Mcdonald's or Pizza Hut putting Hayahay or other restaurant's of that nature out of business. If I may be allowed to say, no offense, I think you just have MAJOR issues with fastfood and other western cultures and influences. As I've said in my previous post, for people that want to see more of nature, there are a lot of places just minutes' drive from Dumaguete which are full of that (Beaches, Resorts, Lakes, etc.). Those places should give people who thirst for Hayahay and ONLY Hayahay types of places their money's worth. I just think Dumaguete should have extensive choices of everything. Be it Fastfood or Healthy Restaurants, Modern Structures or Historical Landmarks, etc.. I can't see how having limited choices in one place (city) be a good thing.
    Not to stray too far from the subject, another point though would be, Negros Oriental, yes Negros Oriental not just Dumaguete improve its tourism scheme/promotion. There are a lot of tourist spots in Negros Oriental which are poorly promoted and not well developed. Dumaguete would be a great modern place to be in the middle of those towns.

8. OP
    OP
    yabs

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    I have nothing wrong with western values such as law and order, justice
    , sewage accountability etc all of which are none existent in the Phils.
    These are the cornerstones of progress not Macdonalds which is a horrible side effect of american capitalist excess.
    Macdonalds are all mass produced fast foods are sh8te end of story
    they make the place look tacky with the Big neon M sign and their "food" is
    worse for you than most illegal drugs. If dumaguete doesn't attract the types of people who eat thids crap then that can only be a good thing.
    Indeed in the west there is already a massive backlash against fast food
    and a town which doesn't have them will be a winner.
    these fast food places will also never help the local economy but help make already mega rich wtesrners even richer.
    even the actual franchisee of a macdonalds rarely makes much money
    least of all the poor saps who work there on minimum wage with no rights
    whatsover

9. atlargex

atlargex DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    My neighborhood McDonald are always packed with happy kids and happy parents during weekends and holidays....I'd say Whoever came with that Mickey D concept deserves to be rich. During my travel in RP, whenever I get tired of pinoy food, it's always a welcome sight to see the golden arches....I'd always knew then I'm ready for my Mac attack with icy cold chocolate shake and hot crispy fries!!!

Come to think of it, I wouldn't mind seeing Burger King, Taco Bell, or Jack in the Box in Duma either...then I would really call it progress (and Duma feel like home) if these franchises are available as well:D

10. OP
    OP
    yabs

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    perhaps you should stay at home then
    if thats what you desire
    you are obvioulsy one of thoise sad sacks who only go to the phils for the young girls and don't like anything else
    anyone who likes Maccy D's ect after the first flushes of youth are sad tasteless cretins
    all kids have childish bad habits but most grow out of it
    eating at fast food joints is also a bad habit
    grow up!
    please read fast food nation I beg you

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.