Dumaguete Info Search

not long left for Dumaguete

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by yabs, Jul 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jss

jss DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    oh, yabs,...
    people understand you. they just dont agree with you.
    duma is full of ugly half-finished concrete/hollow block structures, just like the rest of philippines. Robinsons will, i am sure build a NICE concrete structure. It will be nice. it wil set an example.
    yabs. y dont you build a nice quaint resto to let all know what it is to have a good taste? i will go there. i promise. i am serious

2. caymimi

caymimi DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    I think Dumaguete used to be a "quaint and charming place", but that was years ago. Dumaguete now is much louder, has a larger population and boasts more buildings than there ever used to be in it. People can grumble all they want, but change is happening. Nothing you can do to stop it now. Might as well live with it or leave. It's not about being rude - it's just a basic fact. You can criticize and analyze until you're blue in the face, but you can't force other people to choose your side, nor can you stop all the progress Dumaguete is making with your grumbling. Not everyone is agreeable with some present aspects of Dumaguete, but wasting your breath does not do any good for anyone. If there's nothing that you can do to change what you think needs changing, then leave well enough alone. Be at peace with yourself and the place that you chose to live until you feel that you can no longer stand it, then resettle somewhere else. Above all, BE THANKFUL and GRATEFUL that you were able to experience the "quaint" Dumaguete AT ALL, and that you still have the means to find another place when you become unhappy with this one. I'm not particularly religious, but I think everyone should be thanking God every day for everything that has been given to us. If you are at peace with God then you will be at peace with yourself and your surroundings and you will live the rest of your life without ugliness and bitterness in your heart. It seems to me that your ugly and bitter words are not fit for peaceful Dumaguete at all, which makes me wonder why you choose to live in a peaceful place if you're not a peaceful person? Perhaps Dumaguete does not need you but you have yet to realize it. Dumagueteneos are truly peaceful no matter what new stuff is going on. Maybe it's time for you to realize that you do not belong.

3. jss

jss DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    give yabs credit

In fairness to yabs. No one should tell anyone that they dont BELONG anywhere. If there is anyone who doesnt belong in duma, its the gangs and murderers, not poeple, rightfully or wrongly, correctly or incorrectly, complain about HOW the duma should progress.
    THere is some sort of truth to what yabs says about the TASTE of duma developers. If you look at the buildings, its obvious that the architects are JUNIOR LEVEL designers at best. Young designers who got their design talents through looking at internet sites. WHo can blame them? the universitities dont have any money to get decent professors who have SEEN the world. Confounding their creative problem is the limited budget the developers throw at them. So waht you see are buildings that look like they were designed as college freshman architectural design projects.
    To me, its OK as long as the effort is there. Not like the crappy sh**** houses where the hollow blocks are left exposed.
    Anyway, dont tell people they dont BELONG anywhere just because they dont agree with the way the development is going.
    You can tell them to go to hell if they are racist, but NOT because they dont like the design direction!!................

4. caymimi

caymimi DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    Obviously I'm not telling people that they don't belong in Dumaguete if they don't like the design and architecture of the buildings in the city. I think that would be a petty and immature way of looking at things. I'm just fed up with about 99% of Yabs' posts on this whole forum being negative. I haven't tried to start up any arguments here, but being a Dumagueteneo myself I'm pretty defensive about unhealthy (or just unhelpful?) criticism about the city. When I first lived there in 1995 I was full of complaints about things being so primitive there. But after a couple years I naturally grew to love the place despite it's shortcomings, and now it's hard to find anything bad about it, especially when people are finally starting to do something about improving the city. I don't like all the improvements, but I'm still at peace with it. I just don't think that complaining all the time will solve anything or make your stay there any more peaceful or pleasurable, so that's why I'm saying, if you have the means to move on somewhere else that suits you, just be grateful that you can. If you don't want to move, then accept what you have chosen for yourself and BE AT PEACE.

5. jss

jss DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    O, ur here since 1995, which means you are expat?
    Sorry I thought u were a filipino resident who just want to kick anyone out who says anything bad about the city. (I noticed that on this forum).
    Yeah, I know what u mean...

6. caymimi

caymimi DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    I know you mean well, jss. I'm actually happy that foreigners love our little city. I love having variety, whether it be ethnicities, food, hobbies, etc even beer. I'm just tired of the bashing and criticisms. I've never heard anyone complain so much about Dumaguete (I thought I was the worst, and that was more than ten years ago!). No, I'm not an expat. I'm a balikbayan. Unlike my older sister who was born in Illinois, I was born in Dumaguete and raised in Virginia. My parents are Filipino with a mix of Spanish, Chinese, Muslim and a drop of British. No, we're not Muslims - just a couple of the ancestors. I eventually came back to Duma to live out my wild, college days.:D I'm not living in the Philippines at the moment. I alternate between Virginia (where our home is), California (where my sister lives), Oman (where my dad is assigned), Dumaguete visits and Dubai (where I currently work and live with my husband).

7. pickled_newt

pickled_newt DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +17 / 12
    Dumaguete is evolving ,changing gradually in character and ambience .Concrete buildings are only superficial elements ,like make up.If the economy gets better and consistent through the coming years for certain those ugly buildings will have face lifts as we are seeing now taking place or replaced by newly constructed building.We were there 2004 and i haven't seen those ones as in those photos posted by Rev Robinson and Echir on a diff thread .In just span of 3 yrs ,i feel Dumaguete is moving on faster.It's a good sign indeed.

8. West Coast Hokies

West Coast Hokies DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    It's changing, but not as much as I expected judging from other postings. Even with all the new buildings and the conveniences, it's still hasn't lost it's quaintnence. People are still very friendly, still feel very safe, don't see as much begging as before.

9. tfa1957

tfa1957 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Yabs,

I'm pretty sure there are many poms who are very embarrassed for you and what you represent. The sun does now set on the British Empire, so you need to bring yourself into the present instead of your colonial opinions. I think, as an American, and this is my opinion...Both the U.K. and the U.S. have done both serious harm around the world...one is no better than the other, but I also recognized we have helped out a great deal. With you living in the PI, your a visitor only, and that's all you'll ever be, just like the rest of us who are not Filipino. Filipinos decide what progress they will make in thier country, not you, nor do they really care about your opinion. I believe what they may care about is making a living the best way they can. I'm fortunate I guess in that I can see both sides of things instead of discriminating against certain cultures, countries, or races, however, it seems you've managed to do that on a regular basis. I don't know, maybe you do that for attention??? Yeah, that's it.

10. Timn8ter

Timn8ter DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    I couldn't have said it any better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.