Dumaguete Info Search

not long left for Dumaguete

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by yabs, Jul 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diver

Diver DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    No there is no excuse for what happening in the US and other what you called first world counties they have the possebillity to solve the problems with all their money.
    My country Holland is for a big part situated under sea level and we spent a lot of money to keep it dry.
    And we have to pay a lot of taxes for that , but in the Us they refuse to pay for that safety and that is stupidity first class.

Now Dumaguete i come over there for 7 years now and they are working at the roads and i know that the road from duma to dauin was very bad for four years ago and now it is a very good road.
    During that time they did a lot of working at the roads at Duma.
    Maby not in the fast way you like it but they do it and in another way cos this is another country but give them the bennefit to do it on their way.

We can talk easy cos we have the money, exept the country like it is cos this is Asia otherwise stay at home.

Greetings J.Diver

2. atlargex

atlargex DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Stick to the subject

Hey guys, this forum is about Dumaguete information, not US Bashing---There are plenty of other discussion site for that I am sure or perhaps you can start one yourself. You can b*tch all you want, but the fact is---no body other than Americans gets to choose their Presidents....So live with it.

3. Philippinediver

Philippinediver DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    It is my understanding

My understanding is Bush originally was elected by the supreme court. He didn't even win the popular vote so in that particular case the citizens of the US did not choose their president the supreme court did. And who only know how many other elections on state and local levels that were badly tainted by bad voting machines. But, I do agree that this is a forum for Dumaguete dialogue so sorry for this diatribe

4. cebudiver

cebudiver DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    getting back to Dumaguete .... I have seen it change from the early 90's till today and I have to say the golden arches look a lot better than gutted crumbling hollow block buildings (now slowly being replaced by more attractive ones)- i see the new mall as needed progress here and ...at last there is a national bookstore ... the local government has been more responsible here than most towns in the philippines - compare dumaguete to a place like tagbilaran.... Davao manages to keep a certain charm and it is larger than Dumaguete will ever get in ours or our childrens lifetimes - to want to keep the place quaint and undeveloped because thats the way you like it to be is selfish - what do you care that this is there home? ... you are only a visitor - take or leave the situation as you see fit - there are plenty of places less developed than dumaguete to move to if the site of the arches offends you so - I , personally am more disturbed by the poverty - hopefully the area between the port and Lab As will get a facelift as well

5. RHB

RHB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 2
    I am new to this forum, and only here in Dumaguete for 16 months. I am slowly reading some threads here.
    This one seems that emotions run high, buttons getting pushed. Some facts for Yabs. early on you mentioned slavery.
    As an historian, relevant eras American Revolution through U.S.civil war. Slavery in America was in fact started by the Brittish, who, no ofense, had a trading triangle established between England, Africa, and the American colonies. Pig iron made in England shipped to Africa, traded for slaves. Slaves were then shipped like cattle to the Americas where field labor was in short supply. Many were initially indentured, slavery eventualy became the norm. The slaves were traded for cotton, and tobbacco, which went back to the mills and pipes of English gentlemen. Fact.

Philippine history and culture is a tale of so called first world nations overrunning the native culture. Muslim Traders, Spanish, Chinese, Japanese,and American. What you bring here is what you will likely take away. So where in this 21rst Century would you draw the line? Go back to pre American, pre Spanish etc. Attitude is really transparent on these forums. Perhaps you had a bad experience with an Ameican once. Remember The Yanks were taught well by their Brittish fathers. What lessons were learned best?

aye yi yii...
    Mabe yabs just likes trolling... I hope.

just to keep on topic, I love dumaguete, quaintness is where you find it, open your eyes.

6. Arie

Arie DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    It would certainly be nice, most cities turn horrid developing and the focus is all on the money rather than improving the cities enviorment. The boulavard is real nice and special for the Phillipines and there are loads of oportunities to improve from there.

Hope they do a decent study of similar cities in other countries, worse they can do is replace downtown Duma with modern high buildings.

7. Union Jack

Union Jack DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +13 / 1
    The neighbour's grass is always greener!

It's funny if you think about it....Pinoys hoping to get a better future for themselves and their families in the western world and western guys like myself hoping to get a better future in the Phils.........
    WHY?
    That is because I hate the rat race, stressing, throw away capitalistic way of life and dream of a quiet retirement away from all that!
    A mall will bring jobs to locals, sure, at the tune of 300-400 pesos a day, hardly a fortune and will at the same time increase retail prices hence the poverty vicious circle will complete its cycle once more. Call me a sellfish but I like it just the way it is now, with all its noisy street stalls, friendly people and its simple but dignified beauty.....prices going up will also put a strain on my megre pension fund.

8. mrsteve38

mrsteve38 DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Wow! the young hipster Yabs has done it again!
    Another post that has the masses up in arms, (and a post with his trademark spelling mistooks and g a p s)...
    In his OP, yabs said words to the effect that Dumaguete is the only nice town in the Philippines.
    Well, I don't know how many places he has visited in the Philippines, but I reckon I've been to more and can tell him there are plenty of nice towns.
    Indeed, there is at least one very nice little city just a 2 hour bus ride from Duma......

9. longtimejoe

longtimejoe DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    DGT- Beautiful with or without a new mall

A surprisingly heated topic here. What the heck, I will give my two cents. I am an American tourist who frequents the beautiful town of Dumaguete. I will visit at least two times next year as well. I think the chances are pretty good that I will spend a couple of hundred dollars in a new mall for souveniers and gifts for my local friends on each visit. I also think that Robinsons will bring a great source of fresh food and general supplies that people of all economic levels will appreciate. The competition will keep prices in check at other local stores which should serve the people with the least income. The higher end stores can take the money from those with more. The construction of the project will bring in millions of dollars and help local workers and supply business too. The taxes the mall will pay and generate will help the local economy as well. It will be a financial boon to the city and a nice free AC place for the young to meet and others to visit. As for the arguement that the hundreds of jobs at the mall will be low paying, I think that is a lot better than not having a job at all. The Philippines is banking on foreigners retiring there for a long term financial boost. What better way to make a foreigner comfortable then give him or her a mall to spend ones money?

Now the arguement seems to be at what cost is this mall to the historical integrity and beauty of this city? I appreciate the rich history that many old building in town protect simply by standing there. But unless I am told otherwise, all of these will still be standing after the mall is built. (If they are bulldozing Silliman let me know and I will change my tune) I also think the ocean and the mountains will still be there as well. And last but not least, if one looks at the boulevard at Bethel and a few other glass buildings you can see that modern archtiecture is already there. Perhaps those buildings got the same criticism when they were only paper plans. Now they blend in and go unnoticed. As for Mcdonalds? d*mn shame that came there. Talk about a boring homogenous corporate world. At least it is hidden off the boulevard.

10. donunus

donunus DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sorry to say though that since Dumaguete doesn't have anywhere with a decent burger (except maybe for private garden) Mcdonalds is actually a good thing despite being an inferior product to anything else when you are in the US for example. The Quarter pounder is still better than anything tasters delight and jollibee has to offer or any restaurant here for that matter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.