Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: Oslob limits whale shark visitors to 800 a day Cebu -

1. john boy

john boy DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,155 / 230
    I visited the place last month, I did not intend to go in the water, but quite honestly there is little to see if you don't! It was only because my niece decided not to "swim" with them that prompted me to take her place. The charges were 1000p non swimmers and 1500pwith snorkel's supplied for those who chose to do so.
    I respect other peoples reasons for choosing not too , but my experience was that without proper equipment it is hardly swimming with Sharks, just a matter of submerging longer enough to have that photo taken by boaters. Would I go again no and I would suggest to others contemplating going, forget it unless fully equipped.
    I have seen photographs of people touching the sharks in shallow water, but that is not the case now from what I have seen, a fifteen minutes introduction by local officials takes place before you set off.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    The article I read said they were naturally deep water fish but came into shallow waters to feed on the handouts from the boats (given solely to encourage them inshore) and this made them dependent on that food and they lost their natural way of feeding. It's a bit like the recent thread on feeding the poor and making them dependent so perhaps we need to give the sharks the tools to make their own food. :smile:

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,856 / 1,026
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I went last year with my wife, niece and her husband After 10 minutes it got a bit boring, I wouldn't go again either John, but my niece had an underwater cam and got some good photos

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    I know that not everyone will agree with my opinion, but I went to Oslob and then decided not to visit the whale sharks after I read that bringing them inshore specifically for feeding was actually harmful to their long-term survival.

It's an individual choice.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    I think its still the same price but drove past the other day and looked like every car park jammed full of white vans. The ocean was just a sea of small boats.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. cabb

cabb DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster ✤Forum Sponsor✤

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    Sounds like Philippines First...........where have I heard something like that recently? lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    Good old racism strikes again in the ph lol

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Liverpool fan

Liverpool fan DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,094 / 279
    Blood Type:
    O+
    The whale sharks in Oslob do not have a natural life, they are only there because they were fed and it spoils their natural instinct to search for food. Like I don't go to a Zoo ( Basically you put innocent animals in jail) I want to see the animals in their natural environment

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1