Dumaguete Info Search

Permanent Residence

Discussion in '☋ Expat Section ☋' started by Kojak, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Pedro

Pedro DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Programmer, Photographer and Web Developer
    Ratings:
    +73 / 5
    Correction.

Actually citizenship is never mentioned by the SSA, she only needs to be legally married to me and a legal "resident" to collect my survivors benefits. When I tried to get her emergency medicad benefits they also told me citizenship was not a consideration, only length of legal residency, 5 years.

2. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0

I believe you are right on that one.

Larry

3. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0

From the USCIS website regarding where to file an I-130 petition;

"Stand-alone form I-130 and you live in a country outside of the United States or Canada:

The USCIS office overseas or the U.S. Embassy or consulate that has jurisdiction over the area where you live."

Source;

USCIS - Direct Filing Addresses for Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative

Larry

4. blodgee

blodgee DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sorry I don't agree with you on this one Larry.
    My wife tried 3 times for a visitors visa (before we were married) to come to Canada.All 3 times they told or stated on the paper work that they were "not convinced that she would return to the Philippines".

5. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
    So I fail to see the relevance of what your wife's experience was in trying to get a visa to CANADA. We are talking about US visas. I have no idea about Canadian visas, so you may well be right.

Larry

6. blodgee

blodgee DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes we are talking about visa'a and Larry said,

"On a tourist visa they do not usually tell you why they deny, in fact they seldom tell you anything, just stamp it "DENIED" right in front of you".

This was not the case for us.They told us there reason to deny which was they weren't convinced she would return to the Philippines.

7. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0

The UNITED STATES EMBASSY processes US TOURIST VISAS. The CANADIAN EMBASSY processes CANADIAN TOURIST VISAS.

HELLLOOOO? Is there anybody in there? You're comparing apples with oranges.

Larry

8. blodgee

blodgee DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Very good you know the difference between the two. Your right we didn't get our answers from the US embassy. I wouldn't have thought the US would be that impersonal to there applicants.Guess were just thankful to be north of the border.

9. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0

I think anyone reading the posts could easily determine that I knew the difference. It was your postings that were out of left field, almost as if you thought ALL countries had identical immigration procedures. Maybe you could go back and review your posts?

The embassy staff get many angry responses when they tell 100+ per day they are denied. Hence the glass in between them and the applicant, and the vagueness of the outcome.

Larry

10. OP
    OP
    Kojak

Kojak DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +47 / 2
    No sense fighting.....we are all stumbling around in the dark trying to find the light switch....
    Do not know what percentage of applicants are rejected.....or why.... was told several reasons by several rejected applicants.... and some of those "reasons" did not sound true???

EXAMPLE One guy said his wife's name was on a police report....was not her but they were rejected for that....???? You need a police clearance BEFORE you submit....???

I agree with the quotation of the regulations posted here....read it myself before.....still does not explain the letter I got from the Embassy.... the wording was clear.... I will follow the regs.....the letter has no weight.... maybe the clerk had a bad day