Dumaguete Info Search

Peso continues to fall

Discussion in '☋ Expat Section ☋' started by atlargex, Sep 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    You must have bought into all that "change" stuff the candidates are talking about. It doesn't matter who wins, the results will be the same. The only group in Washington as unpopular as the Bush administration is the Democratic congress.

2. Teacher

Teacher DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Teacher
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    Which candidate is the best?

Which candidate is the best? In my opinion there is 'no difference' between presidential candidates. They basically offer the same things only difference that I see is a perception of being different. The odds of anything really changing is 1 in 59.1 trillion. LOL Better odds on winning the Lotto than getting real change. Only thing that I know that we will have on November 4th is the President’s name will not be BUSH anymore.

To anyone with a penchant for history, it is obvious that our once great nation is dying and the end will not be peaceful. Indeed, much like the Romans who faced the challenge of raising sufficient funds to support their over-extended military, America is facing the consequences of financing a global military presence. In fact, David Walker, comptroller general of the U.S., believes there are “striking similarities” between America’s current situation and the factors that contributed to the fall of Rome, including “declining moral values and political civility at home, an over-confident and over-extended military in foreign lands and fiscal irresponsibility by the central government.”

At the height of its power, even the mighty Roman Empire could not stare down a collapsing economy and a burgeoning military. In fact, it was largely prolonged periods of war and false economic prosperity that led to its demise. And it is feared that America, by repeating Rome’s mistakes, is headed toward collapse.

And no I don’t believe this will happen either but it is interesting. Back to the peso
    The global economic situation is the bleakest I’ve ever seen. But the Peso falling is helping all the OFW’s and EXPATS good news in a strange way.

USD-PHP 49.1150 :cool:

3. TheDude

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    Ugh, I see I need to come into the rescue again. If you are referring to the economy, then you should be saying "our great world is dying" because the nation isn't closed off enough to talk about this problem in terms of this nation or that nation.

Do you need this current situation to be anymore evidence of that? Is the U.S. going down the crapper while the rest of the world is laughing at us? Hell no, they are all going down the crapper with us, and the world is rushing back to the dollar.

And it's not just the U.S. which can cause this problem. Not too long ago we had the Asian economic crisis which also hurt the world economy. We are all interlinked.

The borders are also coming down more and more every day. From largest corporations to smallest individuals, we are traveling, working, doing business and employing people across borders.

And how about demographic trends? If you look at demographics, Japan is screwed, Russia is screwed and many parts of Eurpope are screwed. North America? Bright future. We are one of the few industrialized nations with a growing population and favorable long term demographic trends.

4. Teacher

Teacher
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    For the white knight

The global economy is heading for a major recession. Right now we are experiencing a crash of mass proportions that has never been seen before.

Traders around the world in every market are feeling the stress. Central banks are getting involved, governments are stepping in. No one really knows how bad the damages are. All the groups in power are throwing any money at the problem that they can.

So here is the question. What are you doing to survive this trading environment and what is your opinion on the actions being taken by governments and central banks?

5. TheDude

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    I agree in the sense that all recessions are unique in how they are created and how they play out. Certainly we have seen problems this bad before and a recession still isn't a depression.

I haven't felt any of the effects and I haven't been hearing much about it in my industry. In fact, this might actually be a benefit for me. I also don't have money in stocks. If I did have the money to put into stocks I would be buying away because retirement is far off in the future for me.

Also, I think this is good for the U.S. in the long run. People will start saving more because they will have no choice. Less spending means less debt for other countries to finance. Less debt means a stronger currency. The big investment banks which used the leverage to get us into this problem in the first place are gone. The trouble spots in the economy will be better regulated. Overall a win in the long run.

6. firefoxylady

firefoxylady DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    peso continue to fall...

peso to a dollar 48.99 Oct.25, 2008

7. Teacher

Teacher
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    Still falling

Currency Usd-php Value 49.1000 Change 0.3100 %Change 0.6354% Date 10/24

8. Teacher

Teacher
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    What's the difference? Recession or Depression

A recession is when your neighbor loses his job.

A depression is when you lose your job.

The difference between the two terms is not a universally agreed upon definition. If you ask 100 different economists to define the terms recession and depression, you would get at least 100 different answers. But when starts to rise again it is called an expansionary period.

9. logicwings

logicwings DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    "Gentlemen, I have had men watching you for a long time, and I am convinced that you have used funds of the bank to speculate in the foodstuffs of the country. When you won, you divided the profits amongst you, and when you lost, you charged it to the bank. You tell me that if I take the deposits from the bank and annul its charter, I shall ruin ten thousand families. That may be true, gentlemen, but that is your sin! Should I let you go on, you will ruin fifty thousand families, and that would be my sin! You are a den of vipers and thieves. I intend rout you out, and by the eternal God, I will rout you out."

President Andrew Jackson 1832

GWB needs to get a pair.

10. logicwings

logicwings DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    "It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning." Henry Ford

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.