Dumaguete Info Search

Pets

Discussion in '☋ Expat Section ☋' started by Stilo, Nov 11, 2007.

1. Stilo

Stilo DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    :smile: Hi there, I wonder if any ex UK pats have experiance of bringing a small dog, (a miniture German Schnauzer) to Dumaguete or Manila. i also have an African Grey Parrot that i would love to bring, but maybe i will have to leave them behind to good homes, any info would be appreciated, cheers, Stilo, (the Bionic Man) :D

2. up2u

up2u DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I brought in a small dog yesterday , not from the uk but from thailand, but the rules are the same you need to locate the animal quarentine webpage for the Phillipines its one of the government webpages, this is the email address quarantine_bai@yahoo.com. sorry i dont have my computer or i could give it to you , they have now got a brand new online form fill it in send it off and a few hours later you will have your permit by email , you need a certificate of health from the ministry of agriculture in the UK , with your dogs history of shots which obviosly have to be up to date , on arrival our dog was the first thing off the plane , go to quarentine desk pay 350 peso's show them your papers and they give you a certificate which you need to keep, they make it very easy , very easy indeed, this proceedure is so new the quarentine lady had not seen an email certificate before.I think the bird may be a different matter with the bird flu thing but you can ask them , so i dont think you can get more up to date info than that, best of luck

3. OP
    OP
    Stilo

Stilo DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    pets

:smile: thanks up2u, have done the email, thanks for the address. will see what transpires, yes the Parrot might be a problem, but i have a freind who will take him. but i will miss his chatter, byeeeee Stilo. (bionic man):D

4. Justin Case

Justin Case DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I brought my Lab over from Oregon, but my d*mn neighbor here outside of Cebu City took him and ate him last fiesta. I know because the other neighbor we are friends with saw this boy club our dog outside in the back field behind our house, this is the type of brutish garbage that really makes me want to get out of this city and get to Dumaguete, this upsets me, we had Buddy with us for over 9 years.

5. Swany

Swany DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    I'm so sorry, Justin. I'm an animal lover and a member of the HSUS. I felt bad by just reading your post about your dog being killed for food. What did you do Justin after you found out about your dog? Did you confront the culprit? Sorry , Philippines is not like America, but still there should be a law about animal cruelty there. I've heard rumors before that eating dog meat is against the law and abusing an animal could get you to the slammer or pay the fine. Don't know what ever happened to that.:( Perhaps it did not pass. :D

6. pickled_newt

pickled_newt DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +17 / 12
    Perhaps Cebu has seasoned dognappers ,but seem too ambitious to eye on a pedigree labrador .I normally heard of dogs made into 'pulutan' side-dish for drinking sessions for men ofcourse.We have seen similar of this in Sulawesi trip going to Manado,just doing a hitch ride on top of this lorry (bus there comes only once a week during that time),the driver and his assistant stopped by where there was a dog by the roadside ,catch the dog by a big net and put in a wooden cage, then continued on the journey.

7. RHB

RHB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 2
    Dogs are food in Malaysia and to some extent the Philippines. If your dog runs loose here in Dumaguete, it can be legally shot by the animal control at the behest of any neighbor, not withstanding dog eaters/nappers.

8. Bandit

Bandit Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    What makes you think someone in Dgte wouldn't do the same thing to your dog. The farther you go away from the cities in PI, the more bizarre behavior you are likely to find.

Same goes for moving from say Cebu to a town the size of Dgte.

Or from Dgte to the provinces..

BTW I heard the same warnings when I mentioned to co-workers I was thinking of moving to Georgia in the US after retiring.

9. OP
    OP
    Stilo

Stilo DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    pets

Hi there to all, thanks for your advice on bringing pets over, looking at the advice on the forum, i think i will have second thoughts about bringing my dog.i couldn't bear the thought of her dissapearing on me. i would rather leave her with a retired couple, that i could visit on my hols here. Sorry Justin case about your Lab. you were 75% the reason i changed my mind. cheers to all, Stilo (bionic man):smile:

10. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,856 / 1,026
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Theres a thread on this site about stray dogs or dogs running around in packs barking and biting people, some of these dogs have rabies.
    Some of the members of this forum suggested shooting them.
    Short memories eh guys.

I know this threads about pets but its gone down that path, anyway maybe
    the dog eaters would balance things up.

Jim.