Dumaguete Info Search

Philippine lesson of the day.....

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by ronv8917, Jan 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    OK Sounds Good!

:confused: So what exactly is their job firefly! Whilst I have seen them before I have never got involved or have had contact.?? can I presume that they are here for Tourist protection??:o

Jack P.

2. Tom2bad68

Tom2bad68 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I noticed this too. My asawa says it is the on the job training part of the police training program. Before they can graduate they have to serve 3 months on the job.

3. OP
    OP
    ronv8917

ronv8917 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    JP, I really don't want to get into a discussion of religion as I believe strongly in freedom of religion, but, the terrorist here are mostly Muslim and the southern part of Mindanao is an area of mostly Muslim people, therefore the terrorist roam around freely, and there are very few Catholics and they keep a low profile.
    In my area, it is heavily Catholic. I know of only one Muslim family and they own a shop in Villaneuva that sells DVD's, and everybody calls it "the Muslim store", and they keep a very low profile.
    We see maybe one or two Muslim families at LimKetKai mall.
    It is my personal feeling that terrorist would not be welcomed, or protected, or tolorated
    in this area.
    They have their area and they mostly stay there and don't try to expand to other areas.
    Also, if they wanted to kidnapp a foreigner, this would not be the place to come. There's only one foreigner.....me. Not much of a selection here.
    Again, I feel safe and at home here.

4. firefly

firefly DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 1
    In Thailand the tourist police are specialy trained to protect the rights of the tourists (and the business that depend on them)
    They speak the language of tourists(English but also German,French)
    They are well trained in what tourists expect during the time that they spend money in the country.
    Tourists that have been cheated can always depend on them, and the locals are verry well aware of the consequences when they make tricks with a tourist(industry).
    Perhaps to much "wishfull thinking" for a place like the Philippines but this can be a start in the good direction.
    BTW this tourist police exist more than 30 years in Thailand and look what reputation Thailand has when it comes to tourism.

5. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    Glad to hear you are safe!

:smile: Ok Ron, I get the Picture, I see now why the Embassy said NO GO South Area, I guess the world over has much the same story to tell, Even when I am in Spain, the situation is the much the same, Another thing we have to live with I guess. And they say religion is all about Peace. mmmmmmm makes you wonder.:confused:

Jack P.:smile:

6. Jack Peterson

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    Ah OK!

:smile:Thank You Tom for this information, I can see the need for this, at least it puts them in contact with a Tourist, without the nasty side emerging all the Time. I guess it also helps in understanding a Tourist a little better.:D

Jack P.

7. Jack Peterson

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    In deed a need!

Thank you firefly, I think you are right, a good direction to go, feeling safe and having the protection you mention would, I feel, make Dgte more appealing if this unit of police were permanent. They would get my vote.:wink:

Jack P. :smile:

8. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    There aew 18 Tourist Police in Dumaguete. It is NOT part of the training or on-job-training. Being present and approachable when issues occur is part of their responsibilities. They are in Dumaguete since October and are permanent.

9. Jack Peterson

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    :smile: Thank You Rhoody, Nice to hear that things are moving in the direction to attract more tourists. Good news also for the buisiness's we have here, more revenue to add to every day spending.

Jack P.:smile:

10. firefly

firefly DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 1
    In the 30 years that i've been regularly in Dumaguete, i only can say that i've always been fairly treated by Dumaguete police.
    But the last few months, i have the impression that the Dumaguete police is more friendly for me than ever before.
    I drive around with open windows, no aircon, and constantly i'm greated by all uniformed police.
    Maebe there is a new policy among the administration that foreigners are good for the local economy and that it is a good idea to tread them with respect.
    Or is it just because i'm so charming??????

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.