Dumaguete Info Search

Philippines' top 10 investment areas

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by echir, Apr 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,856 / 1,026
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I agree with some of your points, but how can a shopping mall pollute the planet. Its the pedicabs that choke up the city. take a leaf out of western shite and build a road around the cities... Then make some of the inner streets
    pedestrianize.

2. tfa1957

tfa1957 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    I have to agree with yabs on this one. I was hoping new development would pass by Dumaguete for the next 5o years orso. It isn't that I want anyone in poverty, but I often see new development helping the rich get richer and the poor to remain the same or further into poverty. I guess it is too difficult to stop something like this and seems sad. On the other hand, I'm wanting to contribute myself and wife into the community and appears as though many ohersare also, so that in itself may be why new development will happen. The proverbial double sword again.

3. Swany

Swany DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Well, yabs sorry, it's bad news for you, but for filipinos (especially the Dumagueteneos), it's certainly a very good news. It means a lot of jobs would be available when that happens. It's a very positive outlook for many filipinos who are living in poverty level. So if the city is not progressing, it's purely negative and the economy is going to dwindle and poor filipinos will suffer the consequence. The ongoing construction of Robinsons Mall, etc. is really a blessing for Dumagueteneos. It's thumbs up!

4. tfa1957

tfa1957 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Yeah, Swany, you also have a good point, but will most of those jobs be temporary or not? That will be the determining factor isn't it? I know construction employment is good and all, but it seems those would be the jobs with less job security? I really don't know, but it looks like both points are valid and it all depends on how you view it.

5. yabs

yabs DI Forum Adept Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Again I'm quite surprised at the naivity here and general lack of awareness.
    Jim shopping malls are an eyesore particularly in beach areas. it would totally be out of fitting with dumaguetes rustic ambience. As for providing jobs
    you are right but at what wages. Bare minimum!. I've got nothing against the business park as this would maybe help create real jobs linked to the university.
    But please shopping malls , Macdonlads etc offer slave wages whilst the already rich owners get richer. A Mcjob is not a proper job and will never b ring anyone out of poverty. Read Fast food nation if you don't believe me
    and see the effect big greedy corporations have on the economy and everything else. Also what about the small family owned businesses in Dumaguete which may be put out of business in the town.
    If anything it will destroy jobs and make as tfa says the gap between rich and poor worse. Shoppping malls are in many ways like the lottery
    a tax on the poor. Keep shopping malls in their place. ie large cities.
    Cebu is nearby if you want malls
    Jim you also make the point thats its pedicabs that pollute tha planet.
    well dumu already has a big pedicab pollution problem
    do you think building a huge shoppin g mall with limited road access
    will do anything to alleviate the traffic problem.
    Mark my words this mall is the beginning of the end for Dumu
    what once was a small local provincial capital with unncommercial charm, low crime rate and a pleasant atmosphere will be a thing of the past.
    Prices will begin to soar, traffic will be even worse and crime will increase.
    the whole feel of the place will change

6. The Dane

The Dane DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    It seems you are choosing areas with a high chance of becoming the next tousim destination...

I would suggest somewhere in Sierra Leone or Northern Congo...

There are also plenty of islands around the Philippines where they don;t even have toilets, power or running water yet, those places would definately not be polluted by western crap like...toilets, power and running water any time soon... Checking the map right now I noticed a group of islands just south of Samar, they looked perfect for you :smile: Hinatuan Island, Nonoc Island and the smaller islands around them

It seems like you are searching out places in progress and then complaining about the progress there... Just find an unspoilt island without power, running water, supermarkets or any other thing that would annoy you :smile:

7. jimeve

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,856 / 1,026
    Blood Type:
    A+
    well yabs Iv seen the artist impression of the mall, and it looks fantastic, not an eye sore at all.You should be proud to live in such a city, anyway its on the outskirt of the city. Like I said before, build roads around the city. As for employment loads of jobs, think about it... I HAVE

8. yabs

yabs DI Forum Adept Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    jim
    AS i've said If i wanted malls i would have chosen to live in cebu or manila
    I probably need to go to one about once every three months
    Dumu already has all I need. I like all the old architecture in the town
    and the ambience it creates. I have never had a penchant for big bland
    concrete american style shopping mallls. Obvioulsy we have different tastes.
    I'm sure you like mall of Asia as well. I think its a monstrosity.
    As for jobs. Agian it will be minim um wage department store jobs created.
    hardly something to celebrate. Add to that the extra trafiic and the increased
    pop growth it will create and i can't think one one thing positive it will create.
    The business park is something else but as for shpping malls they can keep em

9. Swany

Swany DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    yabs, minimum wage is better than no job at all!
    Well, Dumaguete will soon be a tourist destination, I'm afraid. You'll probably pack up your things and take the Dane's suggestions to go to a place where there's no pollution of soil and water in the area. It's really nice of him to suggest those places. :-()

10. jimeve

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,856 / 1,026
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Thanks Swany, you took the words right out of my keyboard :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.