Dumaguete Info Search

Picts from the Pier

Discussion in '☋ Diving and Marine Life ☋' started by tonyN, Jan 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OP
    OP
    tonyN

tonyN DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well, I can't really hold that against you. It wasn't until the fourth or fifth shot that I myself so the frogie:rolleyes:.

:D

2. Rick&Sue

Rick&Sue DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! These pics are spectacular!!!! Neither of us has our diving certification yet; does it make sense to get US certification before coming to the PI, or is it most sensible to get certified once we're there? Didn't know if a "'pre" certification might help at all?

Many thanks,

Sue

3. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    In the US you get most likely the PADI Open Water certification, which is valid worldwide. there are plenty of options. you can make the theory there and the waterwork here. If you are here for a longer time you can make the whole certification here and stretch it out to your convenience.

Courses look a bit cheaper in the US but you will end up paying more. It's a different marketing policy.

4. Pedro

Pedro DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Programmer, Photographer and Web Developer
    Ratings:
    +73 / 5
    While PADI instruction in the US is structured and professional a more important consideration might be the memories you stand to gain. Everyone remembers their first dive and if you are able to arrange your first dive in the PI that should make your visit there even more memorable. Also I would guess that for diving in Virginia you will need a diving suit because of the colder temperatures you will experiance untill about June. I myself prefer not getting into cold water if I dont have too, but there are advantages to getting qualified before you go also, the instuction part will be behind you and you can concentrate doing the dive for the pleasure of it. Its still your decision.

5. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    the PADI standards/teaching-materials/amount of dives are worldwide exactly the same with absolutely no exeptions, no matter where you make any course.
    One advantage of doing the OW course in the PI is that most classes are small or even 1:1 ratio, what simply means your instructor has much more time to solve individual problems.

When I have students coming for a holiday, or limited time I recommend to buy the crewpack at home and prepare all theory before arrival. Do all waterwork in the PI as even the confined water dives can be done just next to awesome coral-gardens with millions of fish around instead of looking at blue tiles. The knowledge-reviews and the quizzes can be done anytime in between the dives and are not really any big work if the student is prepared.

cheers

Rhoody

6. OP
    OP
    tonyN

tonyN DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've just come back from two weeks of diving in Dauin. We made four dives in day light and two night dives at the Pier. It wasn't the same as last trip, that is before the construction work was started, but still pretty awesome. I'll come back again in a couple of years when things have settled down and the growth and the piece and quiet have returned to the Pier. Here's some new pics from the Pier.

A huge Flying gurnard.

Attached Files:

7. OP
    OP
    tonyN

tonyN DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    A Shortfin lionfish.

Attached Files:

8. OP
    OP
    tonyN

tonyN DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    A black Crocodilefish?

Attached Files:

9. OP
    OP
    tonyN

tonyN DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    As to the question on were to get your certification I would say it is better to get it back home, in the cold and murky waters. That way diving in tropical waters will be oh so easy. It'll also mean that you want have to spend time learning the basics when you could just make leisure dives on your holiday. But then again, if you go for a PADI certification (which a would recommend) I would say that you need the first three levels to qualify as a recreational diver. So get the OW back home and perhaps go for a AOW in the Philippines, the AOW is easy to combine with great experiences. Then get the Rescue Diver when ever it suits you.

:D

10. freddy

freddy DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    some pics taken at the pier by my GF - Angela
    we came to DGT to take the AOW course w/ MIke during 3/8 and 3/10 , and had 8 great dives in Duin , APO & the pier .

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.