Dumaguete Info Search

Please do not feed the badjao in Dgte

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by Bandit, Mar 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neil domaille

neil domaille DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    yer the pics touch our hearts, i wonder if it has the same effect on the corrupt government, the directors of legacy. and all the departments that take advantage of my long nose

2. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    .... I don't think the long-nose was forced to come to the Philippines and the corrupt government and officials are also not forcing them to stay here..

BTW, the "known" money Siemens spend on "arguments" to get one monorail job in china was higher than the "known" numbers going under the table in one year in the PI. this is only one western company...

It is pretty annoying to see long-noses complaining about their own choice of lifestyle.

I don't know any case where the long-nose-Mama pushed her adult son in an aircraft and told him: Go !!! ...from now on you live in the Philippines.

I know many cases where the brain went south and when waking up after some week/month/years they start to realize the reality.

You won't change any officials... neither here nor in your home-country. But each of us has the chance to spend some effort in their own surroundings to make it better. That may also help to understand more of the country they are living in.
    Sitting grumpy on the watering-holes around the City and complaining with other long-noses the whole day won't help.

3. Pedro

Pedro DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Programmer, Photographer and Web Developer
    Ratings:
    +73 / 5
    Cardio I do not force my lifestyle on anyone nor do I advocate that the people of the world absolutely have to be democratic or capitalist. In fact I love to barter and live off the land if at all possible. Most of the nomadic people that I know and are surviving in the old ways travel with their families and animals and are extremely warm and giving people who only ask to be themselves. The supposed beggers we are talking about here are the very ones who will turn around and advocate ridding the land of all foreigners, that is not warm and open in anyones book. Why dont you spend some time with them and see if they appreciate your sympathy?

4. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,856 / 1,026
    Blood Type:
    A+
    was it not father Christmas:D

5. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    hehe... I caught him later... he was still on my roof looking for the chimney :D Now he is in my backyard with a chain around his legs, coloring eggs for eastern. His reindeer were BBQ-ed instantly

6. pecoskid45

pecoskid45 DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I gotta go with Rhoody on this one. If you don't feel comfortable here, or if
    you don't like someone peeing in the pool next to you, feel free to go back to
    where ever you came from.

7. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,856 / 1,026
    Blood Type:
    A+
    as long as they don't pee in my beer, they can pee in the sea, :p

8. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0

Actually, most of the problem badjao in this area are from Mindanao, and not displaced from Tawi Tawi. They come here because ignorant do-gooder type people here give them money. They CAN go home and work like anyone else!

Yes, I help what I can, but do it where I know where the money goes, and do not give to where I suspect the money goes to support Muslim extremists in Mindanao.

It is obvious you know little of the real problem here. I forgive you.

Larry

9. DCOS

DCOS DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    A few thoughts in response to quotes from this page

"Why dont you spend some time with them and see if they appreciate your sympathy?" I know some people who have spent quite a bit of time with the Badjao. Some of them for over 10 years learning their language and culture. Currently I live with the related tribe Sama (known as Samal and sometimes called Badjao). I have a friend living across town with the Badjao.

"Actually, most of the problem badjao in this area are from Mindanao, and not displaced from Tawi Tawi. They come here because ignorant do-gooder type people here give them money. They CAN go home and work like anyone else!"

Ignorant. Hmmm...Where is home to a people group that within the last generation lived on boats? Yes, you saw the news article about the Japanese or the American or the Red Cross person who was kidnapped for ransom or butchered like cattle. However, you didn't get close enough to a Badjao to hear the story of how his cousin was kidnapped for ransom ($100) or how his nephew's houseboat was stolen from him by pirates and he was left to drown. Maybe you didn't think about how the former homeland of the Badjao all have Tausug mayors and barangay captains. The Badjao are peaceful and do not like confrontation, so they went to Mindanao. Mindanao is also not peaceful. So they went to Dumaguete. They have been to Dumaguete and many of the islands in Visayas on occasion after occasion for at least more than 500 years. That is why you can find related languages from Indonesia to as far as Visayas. In our modern world they cannot travel legally to Malaysia or Indonesia so does it not make sense that they would take their boat in the other direction to the lands they once traveled. As for work, the phrase is, "Bang halam takˈllo mbal kami amangan. Atuli sadja kami." If we don't catch something we don't eat. Therefore we just sleep. If you think they are lying, I witnessed this last night. I went to a home of friends and talked for a long time. I noticed that no one attempted to start cooking. I also noticed that many were quite without smiles on their face. I remembered earlier in the conversation that the old man who works every day to feed his family said they had no fish in his traps. There was the family who doesn't beg, starving. Farmers and fisherman world-wide are undervalued and mistreated.

"Yes, I help what I can, but do it where I know where the money goes, and do not give to where I suspect the money goes to support Muslim extremists in Mindanao."

I will just state the fact as I understand it. The reason that Badjao you mention is in Dumaguete is the Muslim Exteremist you claim he is supporting. Badjao have a history of running from "kalengogan" which means people stirring up trouble. They want nothing to do with the other tribes that have embraced movements like the Abu Sayyaf and MILF in their area. Very few Badjao if any have tied themselves to the Muslim extremist movements.

"It is obvious you know little of the real problem here." Larry...I'm sorry. I don't usually like making things personal, but I don't know why you felt the right to claim the things you stated in your brief comment. You seem to know very little about this people group or the real problem. Help where you can and let the dogooder types do their good without being accused of being ignorant.

"and all the departments that take advantage of my long nose" I am a long nose and I don't like being taken advantage of. Long noses though have been taking advantage all over the world for a long time. Let's face it. We are all humans. We like to "take advantage" because of the advantage therein. Start checking the tags on your products and your clothing. Its not slavery, but it is the reality that certain citizenships give you higher wages than certain other citizenships. To bring the topic back to the Badjao, the theory on why they chose their lifestyle of living on the sea is because in the past it was quite lucrative. In fact they became the power in the trade-route through Sulu, which is the reason why Tausug borrows much of their vocab from Sama. When Islam came the Badjao started to lose status, because a Mosque can't be built on a boat. Therefore they started borrowing words back from Tausug. Finally when the long noses came around (the Spanish, British, and Dutch) they no longer had control over the trade route since their were new powers to deal with. It was the arrival of the long noses that in a way sealed the doom of this people. However, no one on this blog has the time or interest to look into that research.

"it's worse around a train-station and several areas in a medium-sized city in the "1st" world." I appreciate this quote. I think it is on target. People don't denounce a whole people group based on the few that they see in the train station. Those that do are considered racist. Please don't racially discriminate against the Badjao. There are many honest Badjao that are not begging.

"They do not speak English, Tagalog nor Bisaya and do not attempt to learn" Please don't forget that there is a large population that did not go to school. Many dropped out for financial reasons. Others had to go to work. In short, don't give up on the Badjao. There are things that can truly be done to help them. Money to a beggar on the street might not do it. But they need advocates in the schools and in the government.

The Badjao are humans. They have major character flaws as we all do. It would be nice to see things improve for the Badjao so that they aren't known as the beggars. In Davao city the power of the mayor has made quite the difference in discouraging begging. It still happens, but it sounds like Cebu area is worse off. When you see that Badjao please pray for them, even if you don't give them money. If they are annoying you, pray for them harder.

10. Gass

Gass DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    ... praying doesn't kick them out ... a strong city government would !

It is a shame for Dumaguete that it gets worse. Take all people who like and understand them on the same big boat and let them all pray together as hard as they can, but not downtown Dumaguete.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.