Dumaguete Info Search

Please do not feed the badjao in Dgte

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by Bandit, Mar 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. garbonzo

garbonzo DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
  2. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    Let us Not Forget!

:( I was never going to join this thread, as it was getting very Political and a little overbearing. On Saturday in Zurich Airport, I met a Palestinian, Now here we have a Real displaced person, he made a few comments to me over 2 hours that reminded me of this thread. Basically, he said that the majority of beggars, thieves and that type are not of the true faith they proport to be from. Most were out cast from their own Tribes, Clan, call it what you like, for being too greedy. We all have from our own countries Indigenous cultures that demand some respect but will not earn it. All these ethnic groups have an aid programme that some will not accept, this is for various reasons. I ask you now? DO we believe the Badjao in DGTE are for real or are they just renegades of the true people. I for one will never ever support them. Their own Elders on Web Sites ask us not to support them, Donations can be made to their suppot but they do not and have never condoned the actions we have been reading about. :o

Jack P. :smile:

3. testonilo

testonilo DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Whatever you is......Be that!

4. chris

chris DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    yo!

This thread has bothered me since reading. DCOS gave a balanced and thoughtful post on the point.

Tho i've spent alot of time in the Phills, never felt the need to judge what people do here, or how they get along in life.

Beggars bug me..., i think like thay bug everyone? maybe not.

These Moros are born and bred philipino...not like guys on visa's.

They are DPs--displaced persons.

Hey, 80 years ago they were raiding and slaving up this coast.
    I call that progress.

The guys on the Boulivard? A pain in the @ss, but hard working.

I mean that. No money, no food for them that day.

Luckly, fasting and praying is a Muslem thing.

I got a friend "danny"..., old guy.
    He married a catholic woman, so his kids go to school, a place to live.
    Still he sells dvds and stuff on the strip..., all he knows eh.

Lots of young guys cycle thru town. Their Mum gives them a stake, and some pesos before they leave.

The stake is often chinese gold chain from long ago booty.
    Sometimes jade. And you've seen the pearls.

Few stay in Duma very long. Most want some money to go to Cebu for the markets.

The Moro traders i look for are the rug and batik sellers they got prime stuff from Malay.

I buy bud from them too.

Beggars are everywhere. Trip over them in NYC, San Fran, Vancouver.
    In LA, they got'em on the freeway offramps.

Many a time, show up early to evening Mass, hunch down in the shade of the Lee plaza across the street and watch the action.

Harmonica Man?

Goldfish girls?

Never seen a white guy give nothing.

The peanut kids do sell fresh peanuts. And like Roody said, they do go to school.

Ya know, there's worse than Moros in Duma. Talkin' 'bout the Negros.
    You've seen'em --thay're very dark, walk the streets naked 'cept for dirty shorts.
    Negro kids hang 'round the Plaza by McD.
    All high on 'Oxford' --it's a paint thinner they huff.

'Oxford' is big in Manila too with the kids.

Moros and Negros can't get hired; can't rent 'cause nobody will hire them or rent to them.

This thread reminds me why when i go to the Philipines i hang with locals, not white guys.

It's about soul.

chris

5. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0

Me thinks you are not differentiating Moros from Badjao.

Larry

6. Talibong

Talibong DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think Badjao is one of the tribe of that consist the Moro nation.

7. Ricofoto

Ricofoto DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I feel that I need to contribute my thoughts and experiences on this. Although not an expat I travel to the Philippines quite often. And as photographer, I like to capture life in the raw so to speak. In my experience street kids are not such a problem in Dumaguete as they are in Cebu and having lived in both places and photographed the street kids, not to exploit them but to present life as it really is. I always pay for their services by way of a peso or two or something to eat. I am fully aware that there are “Fagins” who control some of these kids and make a business out of it. Some kids are grubby and malnourished and obviously in need of a wash and a good meal, others are quite well fed in appearance and a bit overdone in the dirty department and working for a Fagin. Good judgement and observation come into play here.

I often hang out on the “skyway” in Cebu. In the early morning. Many kids are sleeping there and obviously have no other home. Like I said, if I take photos, I expect to pay for the privilege. If I photograph them sleeping, I leave some small change. I have often had the situation where on giving one a peso, a dozen more kids appear out of the shadows. These are situations that I have handle at the time, either take a lot of photos and exhaust my small change or move on to where they cannot bother me.

I will admit I am a sucker where small children are concerned anyway and it pains me to see children suffering from minor medical conditions that can so easily be fixed with a bit of knowledge and simple medication. That’s all from me. Cheers.

8. Manzanita

Manzanita DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    Badjao remind me very much of the Roma Gypsys that you see in the Eastern European Cities.
    They're a non-conformist culture to all but their own.
    But I notice some of the Badjao have decent looking dentalwork. Whats up with that?

9. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    mmm Dental Work!

:wink: Judging by some of the Costs Quoted on DI for Dental work in the PI, I guess some of the Badjao are Doing OK. :smile:
    You are right about the Gypsies though.
    Jack P. :D

10. firefly

firefly DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 1
    No longer in Eastern European cities but in all cities all over Europe.
    Right now the French president Sarkozy wants 300 of them to sent back to Romamia after some of them where making big trouble in some French cities.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.