Dumaguete Info Search

Prospects for children in Philippines

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by silabay, Jun 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    :wink: As an Educated Englishman I say Absolutly correct my friend, Well said and I guess meant from the Heart, there is a saying " When in Rome, Do AS the Romans do" Lets just get on with the life we have been given or chosen in our later years, Peace and harmoney, " If you can't Beat them, JOIN them" Best of luck on what ever road you choose to travel.:wink:

Jack P.:o

( Here in spain where they DO NOT even speak English )

2. word_nerd

word_nerd DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey Larry,

Unfortunately, I'm in New York area teaching high school kids how to find the US on a map. They have no idea where Europe is and won't be able to spell it. Their math skills are dismal as well but that's a different conversation.

Anyway, I would love to take you up on your bet. I'll be back in Dumaguete next year and we'll gather about 30 high school kids and give them math problems and questions on geography. If 70% of the kids get the answers right, I win. If less than 70% percent of the kids get it wrong, you win. Deal?

Just wondering though, do you encounter a lot of kids? If so, in what context? Are they "street kids" who beg and are practically homeless? Or do you meet kids who have homes, however poor, but have parents who urge them to go to school. I ask because I want to know what kind of kids will we ask. Ask a homeless, hungry kid and s/he will probably get the answers wrong. Ask a kid with a home and a family... well, you see where I'm going with this. Actually, if you want, start asking high school kids to solve basic math problems. If you have a map available, ask them to point out those three countries. Just keep in mind who you are asking. Would love to see your results. And when i get back next year, my husband and I can meet up with you over drinks and seafood.

However, you're missing the point of this thread. I was merely stating that the educational system in the US is far from great and that's pathetic, coming from a first world nation. The educational system in the Philippines is quite dismal but no surprise there due to overpopulation, graft and corruption and third world status. Despite the desperate circumstance of Philippine education, Filipino students seem to be more motivated and are more respectful of education.

cheers,
    b

3. josephen

josephen DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Shame on you, Educated Englishman! You do not even know how to spell!:D:D:D

Teasing you, Jack. Who cares about spelling? I absolutely and definitely (and why some do spell that definAtely!:confused:) know and understand what you meant. And with the advance technology like sms and even with emails thru pc's TYPOgraphical errors are seemed to be universally accepted, even in the business world.

4. josephen

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    China...china...chi-na...where is that:confused:

:wink:

Welcome to the forum, word_nerd. You seemed to be a new member basing on your number of posts.

:smile:

5. josephen

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    OH - my sincere apologies, word_nerd! You are not even really new here and in fact, you have started 3 threads already.

Shame on me, not even read your started threads...

6. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0

My exposure to kids comes from the three that live on my lot, the kids of my employees, and their friends, and those that I see and talk to, and help with homework, on a regular basis. Few can get past hello, so your insinuation that English is normally usable is out. The teachers here seem to be more interested in having everyone donate to build a fence or plant corn than teach math or science. The closest thing to science any of these kids has expressed was his teacher telling him there were never such a thing as dinosaurs, and that the Flourescent light was invented by a Filipino named Flores!

Even the textbooks are incorrect half the time, so it cannot all be placed on poor teachers or schools, it is the entire system that is failing.

All one has to do to determine the math level of the general populace is buy something downtown. If it is 3 pieces of something at 12 pesos each they need a calculator. But these are not high school, they have 4 year degrees!

I live in Valencia, considered one of the wealthiest municipalities in the Philippines. In the proper here, most of the elderly people speak very passable English. (Of course they don't understand it at all, but they speak it) But anyone younger than about 40 forget it, very few have enough English skills to make a simple transaction. One in five students may be able to find the Philippines on a globe, or Dumaguete on a Philippine map. Half the younger adults still cannot, 4 year degree or not.

In 1960 South Korea was at the bottom of the heap of Asian economies, and the Philippines was at the top. NOW, South Korea is at the top, and Philippines is second from the bottom. Now THAT is motivated!

Yes, there is a problem here, and burying one's head in the sand and getting all prideful and indignant when someone points out the obvious flaws is not going to help the problem. The first thing this country needs to do if it wants to pull out of it's mess is acknowledge that there IS a problem. But that is not the Filipino way, is it? Most Filipinos will NEVER admit when they are wrong. Gosh, they might lose face! Much better to DENY DENY DENY!

No, the US is not perfect either, very far from it, and I, as an American, am usually the first one to admit that. I have no desire to ever return.

I look forward to your visit next year. Now to address this;

"If 70% of the kids get the answers right, I win. If less than 70% percent of the kids get it wrong, you win."

Is this a trick question on some kind of pop quiz? Is this like, "Heads I win, tails you lose?"

Did you learn this tactic in the Philippine schools or in the US? Or is this something that takes a masters degree in English Education to comprehend? So who wins if none can answer the questions? Is it a draw? How about if 90% can't answer?

Larry

7. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,855 / 1,022
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Absolutely :rolleyes:

8. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    well, again it is not about understanding.. your country can't speak and write the own official language, simple as that, nothing to discuss about that. Math is even more ridiculous.

I bet another 10 K with you, we go to a shop (Lee Plaza for example) where all employees are minimum high-school graduate and they wont be able to to do the easiest calculations

But I am sure you find the next pinoy excuses why it is like that... probably in a 3rd world country they don't need to count to ten, as they are so poor and only can afford single items...

(Wonder why east europeans can do that... many of them were so poor, they did not even have weather ...)

Go in a shop and ask how many month a years has...
    When is the birthday of Jesus
    When is the midnight ferry to Cebu leaving
    Why do we celebrate eastern

you will be super surprised about the answers.

Serious, come here, cant wait to go with you and shadow around and listen to more lame excuses...

But I admit, that I would probably loose when they ask me what the latest unlimited text rate for smart is....

any way, it is again a Filipina who feels the immense urge to defend something where there is nothing to defend as it is too obvious for everybody else in the world including the male population of the PI. We never had that before here :rolleyes:

9. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    Very well said!

10. felisa gil

felisa gil DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Did any of you even read what I wrote?

.[/QUOTE]any way, it is again a Filipina who feels the immense urge to defend something where there is nothing to defend as it is too obvious for everybody else in the world including the male population of the PI. We never had that before here.[/QUOTE]

My dad just read this and in grammatically correct English replied, "One does not reply to vermin." Ouch.

My, my, my, some of you have your knickers in a twist. Who's getting indignant and displaying false pride now?

Is too much to ask that foreigners refrain from insulting their host country? Bad manners, my friends. No wonder you're not exposed to the larger Philippine society. Your rants are tiring and demeaning. Only those in desperate financial situations would be willing to hang out with you, Sugar Daddy. This forum should be renamed, "b*tch fest for bitter expats."

As for the the bet, sorry about that Larry. You're right and I am wrong. I mistyped. If 70% are right, I win. If 70% is wrong, than you win. I picked 70% because that's about a C, right?

Well cheers, my friends. It's been interesting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.