Dumaguete Info Search

Prospects for children in Philippines

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by silabay, Jun 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. josephen

josephen DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    It is sad knowing we do not have dedicated people in the field of education anymore. I even think they can not identify what and where the faults are in the PI education system.

I wonder what they are having during the PTA-meetings. All I can hear from my sister when I asked about how school is, is 'donation for that, donation for this, money for project this and money for project that'.

Weren't they suppose to discuss the child's progress in school instead of the things that require poor people to donate? I am speaking for a public elementary school. Must be different in a private school (unluckily none of us in the family had any experience with them).

During my high school I once had a 'fight' with a teacher about the word 'cockpit'. But now looking back, I can not blame her, her having a very limited vocabulary. She gave me a WRONG or an X for my cockpit for that compartment in an aeroplane. Her vocabulary was only limited to the cockpit where we go to during Sundays for a cock-fight! Geeze!

But there was only one solution for that if I had the authority to do so: Replace her and/or not allow her to teach the English subject.

2. felisa gil

felisa gil DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    The recent rejoinder comes from my daughter, using my computer, and that is her position. Felisa

3. josephen

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    So word_nerd is your daughter, felisa gil...?

I can see she is a brilliant one! Congrats, Mama (and Papa, too, of course!)!

4. felisa gil

felisa gil DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Thanks Josephen, she is one fiesty girl !She did her grade school in Manila and the rest of her education in the US (UCLA).

Both her Dad and I are products of Philippine educational system,so we know where we are coming from.We are not defending the system, or denying that these situatuion exists ,but just want others to know that there is more than what the see in the Philippine society.

Felisa

5. josephen

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    You are welcome!

6. atlargex

atlargex DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Wanna try again?

As a community college dropout from the US, it's still obvious to me.....

There's mathematical problem with your second attempt to correct your wager proposal.....

So if less than 70% are wrong, say 69% are wrong......not 70% right nor is it 70% wrong, who wins? Is it a tie?

I doubt that "mistyped" is the culprit here.

7. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    hahaha, bitter foreigners.. the the only people getting bitter are Filipinas when they read the reality but continuing denying all facts, that throwing a young teenager from abroad (THAT was the thread topic - talking about reading...) into the Dumaguete education system isn't a Noble-price winning idea and limits the chances of a proper education extremely ...

@ Josephen, there is no much difference to PTA meeting in private schools (just had one) , just the donations there are higher and the costumes for "events" field trips and food-donations more expensive...

thanks for confirming some earlier statements about math and number skills in an impressive way :smile: ... twice now

8. appy_ammer

appy_ammer DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Im worrying already and my boy is only three years old. Im not sure if i should take him back to England for his education or stay here. My choice is ( he has an English passport ) he gets his education here and at 18 he has the opportunity and choice to work anywhere in the world or i take him now ! Thing is i have to suffer being back in the city rat race when i would rather sit in my hammock with a cool beer and bbq !

9. appy_ammer

appy_ammer DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Im worrying already and my boy is only three years old. Im not sure if i should take him back to England for his education or stay here. My choice is ( he has an English passport ) he gets his education here and at 18 he has the opportunity and choice to work anywhere in the world or i take him now ! Plus i want him to learn English not American English... Its colour not color and pants are underwear not trousers lol.... Thing is i have to suffer being back in the city rat race when i would rather sit in my hammock with a cool beer and bbq !

10. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0

I've said it several times on the forum, I believe education should start and end at home. What is lacking in the education available here you could easily do from your hammock while doing 330 ml curls and eating baby back ribs.

But, if you're rather go back to the rat race...

Larry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.