Dumaguete Info Search

Questions on setting up an artificial reef/fish habitat

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by gerardbumanglag, Jun 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gerardbumanglag

gerardbumanglag DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello, everyone! I'm Gerard Jude Bumanglag, a city councilor of Tanjay City, which is 30 kms drive from Dumaguete.

I've been to many destinations with unbelievable coral formations and fishes under the sea. I was wondering if there's any way I could ask for tips on how to set up an artificial reef in my place and how much a "dream" like that would likely cost our LGU. I've researched them on the net and they seem to be pretty doable.

Also, where can I get the designs for the wooden fixtures, in case we will hire a carpenter to do them?

Do I need to seek the help of professional divers to explore our waters and help us out in doing this project? Since I think this hasn't been done yet in our area.

This is my first post here. Thank you very much!

2. cbindenver

cbindenver DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello gerardbumanglag...can't help about the reef...just want to welcome to the forum:smile:

3. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
  4. OP
    OP
    gerardbumanglag

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks!

Thanks for the swift reply. I'm also a member of the Rotary Club of Tanjay City and I heard that the Rotarians of Dumaguete have done a similar project in the past. I'll ask them first about it for more insights.

Again thanks for your replies. Now I'm definitely going to ditch wood from the list of fixtures. :smile:

5. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    Sir Gerard Jude Bumanglag,

first welcome to Dumagueteinfo. Like mentioned before, there are many options for setting up artificial reefs. Important for it are bottom-structures, neighboring reef or rock formations, depth, currents and and and.

The costs might be lower as you think as you as a city councilor are behind it and there is no need to pay tons of permit-fees to local governments, like in other places in Negros.

Many objects can be used, to attract each kind of aquatic life and emphasize coral growth.

Old tire-formation are used very successful around the Philippines but of course it needs time for the coral grows. Bigger formations and objects like cars, bangkas etc. provide hiding-spots for bigger local species pretty fast and make the same spot for scuba diver faster attractive.

The options are basically endless when having environment and safety as #1 on the list.

I hope it helped already a bit, off diving... :smile:

cheers

Rhoody

6. OP
    OP
    gerardbumanglag

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks, Rhoody!

I will be saving all of your pointers. I'm already familiar with you guys as I've read a lot of your posts before for guidance in travelling. I'm sure the other regulars here will also have their two cents worth, so I'm just going to give it some more time.

Thanks a lot and nice to finally interact with you guys!

[​IMG]

7. Manzanita

Manzanita DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    Welcome Gerard, good to have you aboard!

On topic, I've always thought that old trikes would make good coral reef bases.

8. OP
    OP
    gerardbumanglag

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello, Manzanita.

Yes, actually that's a great suggestion... just like what they did in Dauin.

Will try to scout for old vehicles here in Tanjay and see if the owners will support our cause. By the way, my ordinance of setting up our own official website (tanjay.gov.ph) has already been approved and currently in the works. So, I think if ever this plan of mine will push through, the whole thing will be documented on there and the owners will see a pic of their ride being drowned underwater. :smile:

Thanks!

9. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    If you are going to use vehicles, please make sure they are thoroughly pressure washed and drained of ALL fluids before submersion! You don't want to contaminate the ocean.

10. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    good advice, 2 adds to it:
    • draining the liquids is usually not enough, needs also good cleaning
    • the color (if not rusted of already) can be oil based and includes led as filler. (not today anymore, but I doubt there will be new vehicles donated to submerge)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.