Dumaguete Info Search

Questions on setting up an artificial reef/fish habitat

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by gerardbumanglag, Jun 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sntmig

sntmig DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +121 / 17
    Buuntag Gerard...It is good to see a Counsellor who can see the potential of Marine sanctuaries....good for all ..a win win for the locals with an income from fees and the hopefully increase in aquatic life..Also the added "diver tourist" buisness that having a desireable dive/snorkel site would bring.
    Why not go after something that we,the diving community,would really want ?? Old cars and tires are ok ,but... a real Shipwreck or Airplane, would be something unique to this area.....many ,many tourist diver ask for this.
    "If you sink it,they will come"
    You ,as a counsellor having many political and personal connections,would be in a good position to loccate and procure an old ship or airplane,clean,make it 'diver safe' and sink it in a designated,protected area...Maybe talk to some of the larger companies (Petron,Matiao,) for support/donation. ("do you have an old ship that you would like to donate and show ,to the Philippine people,that your company is concerned about the environment and is takeing an active roll to help protect and promote its future"
    keep up the good work and thoughts... Miguel

2. Kojak

Kojak DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +47 / 2
    Might I suggest an alternative avenue..... I am sure this is not the first time someone in the Philippines has wanted to create an artificial reef....... or has created an artificial reef

A trip to Dumaguete City and a visit to the Department of Marine Biology might prove beneficial....... I did some research on Red Tide and found them very helpful..... I am sure they can hook you up with a plethora of contacts.... I will even take you there and introduce you.....

Building a reef is eminently "do-able".....but there are things to be avoided.... it is possible to do more damage than good..... or waste your resources.... using old cars is not the best technique.....

There are marine ecologists working in the Apo Island area.....they might also be able to help..... Mrs Poole from "One Candle School " is currently attempting to set up a natural marine sanctuary..... she might offer some insights One Candle Schoolhouse

3. Firefly44

Firefly44 DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +71 / 4
    Hi Sir Gerard. This sounds like a great idea. A line of old Jeepneys underwater will make a great artificial reef and maybe quicker than some anticipate. I have recently watched a TV documentary about the West Indies where they selectively allow Ship's to be scuttled to allow Coral formation and great habitat for many fish and like. If there are restrictions on the catching of fish in that area also this will help to progress your idea.
    Best luck to you and I will look forward to seeing your progress. Take care. :smile:

4. OP
    OP
    gerardbumanglag

gerardbumanglag DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for those last-minute tips! :smile:

So, as it all turns out... wood = not long lasting, tires = controversial, vehicle frames = nice and catchy (but with extra care), construction rubbles and debris = interesting, concrete blocks = expensive.

I appreciate all your feedbacks. Good day! :smile:

5. OP
    OP
    gerardbumanglag

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I don't think we can afford a line of old jeepneys. I'll just think of this as the start of a wonderful project. There was also a feature on TV of an underwater display of humanoid sculptures, and they're so awesome to look at. And yes, hopefully it would also increase local fish population. Thanks so much, bro!

6. OP
    OP
    gerardbumanglag

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Oh my... this is a very informative post. Yes, maybe I was a bit after the tackiness of drowning cars and how that would attract curious on-lookers. But, on the other hand, this is not a beauty or popularity contest either. We need to do the right thing. Thank you!

7. OP
    OP
    gerardbumanglag

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm definitely gonna try that. I can't stop laughing at such a big idea though. Man, that's really pushing this whole thing to the limits. :smile:

8. Knowdafish

Knowdafish DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    Don't be afraid to go after large ideas!

"If you want to hit the moon, aim first for the stars!" :D

9. KTM

KTM DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +204 / 69
    Try Rotary Club of Dumaguete North, they did quite a few projects like that back in the '90's.:wink:

10. Kojak

Kojak DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +47 / 2
    If you visit our fair city.....I will take you to lunch (my treat).....introduce you to the head of Marine Biology....and the editor of the Negros Chronicle....who not only has a similar project.... but is a very knowledgeable and influential man....

Rotary North meets on Friday night.... long pants and shoes..... The Mayor of Dumaguete City is a Rotarian and very interested in ecology..... saving and improving our environment.
    Ely Dejaresco (editor of the Negros Chronicle) added a erosion barrier to the Press Club sea wall....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.