Dumaguete Info Search

Random thoughts on my Dumaguete visit...

Discussion in 'Tourist Information' started by devildog4, Sep 23, 2012.

1. devildog4

devildog4 DI Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +5 / 3
    I've been coming here since 1995 or 1996. First to meet my penpal, then again to propose to her, then once more for her Fiance Visa interview, then back to visit her family. Maybe 6 or 7 visits so far. Been married 13 wonderful years.

I haven't been here for 6 years, but it seems very different.

Way too many pedicabs. More than needed.
    Traffic jams anytime of day.
    I forgot all about the litter on the ground, vehicle pollution and smoke from fires. Gets pretty bad sometimes.
    I also forgot about the heat and humidity. Never rained this much in Sept before. Couldn't live without A/C.
    Bethel was the best place in town to stay. They have competition now.
    Music Box changed to Why Not, but pretty much the same clientel.
    I still get stares depending on where I am in town. Especially when riding with 3 people on the rented scooter.
    If you smile and engage people, more likely than not they will smile and talk to you. Otherwise everybody is shy.
    Never felt uncomfortable or in a bad situation. This is not Manila.
    I like Valencia. If it was safe from landslides and flooding, when I retire I might stay there.
    I am in my mid 50's. All the other Americans and others with a young cute Filipina look much older than me.

Dumaguete is a nice place. Lotsa things to do if you want. Maybe a good place to retire.

2. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,539 / 1,016
    Interesting observations, no surprises. Glad you still see Dgte and a place to consider retiring at. Btw, did you notice the smiles on the old guys with the cute filipinas? I would say that is now pretty much the norm here. Why not?

3. OP
    OP
    devildog4

Retired
    Ratings:
    +5 / 3
    I forgot to mention the pedicab drivers pissing everywhere...

4. mntnwolf

mntnwolf DI Member

university professor
    Ratings:
    +110 / 10
    Hey, i'm an American in my mid 50's. And my cute Filipina is pushing mid-30s...

The litter on the ground is bad. Petty-paid recycling system would fix that fast.

Vehicle pollution might get better (less) as Peak Oil hits.... but then we'll have streets covered in horsepucky again...

5. OP
    OP
    devildog4

Retired
    Ratings:
    +5 / 3
    We went to Dipolog, and coming back to Dumaguete pier the pedicab driver wanted P20 each to go to the hotel. I told him it was P9 each and he waved us on...got about 2 steps and another driver (he parked off the pier) carried our luggage all the way to the blvd and took us for P9 each.

Years ago we missed the flight from Manila and flew to Cebu to take the Super Cat ferry to Dumaguete. Got to the pier and the driver wanted P50 each to go to Bethel! I told him it was P5 each. Christ, you could see Bethel from where we were. My Wife told him she was from Dumaguete and not a tourist. Again...went to the blvd and paid P5 each...

Mntnwolf...you are so right...if the government had a recycling program think of how many people could make a few pesos and how clean the PI would be, not forgetting the cost of paper and plastic products would go down.

6. Blaze_Pontaine

Blaze_Pontaine DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    A pedicab driver trying to fleece a longnose is as natural as a puppy eating a hotdog that falls on the ground.

7. Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    And the reverse is true.

Btw, did you notice the smiles on the cute filipinas with the old guys? I would say that is now pretty much the norm here. Why not? Pat O's wife always has a smile, and Pat is even offering stud services now(see the thread)... hahahaha

8. redhorse

redhorse DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +269 / 62
    LOL, part of it is that these gals don't age the same way we do! I've been married to my "cute Filipina" for almost 26 years, I'm 57 and she's 50. When she was 40 she was still occasionally asked to provide proof she was 21 before she could purchase an alcoholic drink. Thrice a grandmother, people still think she's in her late thirties, while I definitely DO look like lolo :smile: