Dumaguete Info Search

Recommendations for flat-screen tee-vee.

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by Manzanita, Feb 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tunji oluwajuyemi

tunji oluwajuyemi DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +47 / 0
    If money is no big problem then Samsung is the best so far and they are not way more expensive..SAMSUNG FOR FLAT SCREEN IS THE BEST-its like watching reflection on water...

2. firefly

firefly DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 1
    "best" is a very subjective matter, what is good for one is not always for another.

3. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    Sony is using Samsung LCD Panels while Samsung uses Sony chips. In many "Made in China" TV's you will find Samsung or LG. most of your cells and monitors will have samsung or LG panels, no matter what brand (including macs and other Apple products - either Samsung or from last year on LG)

The LCD factories of Samsung got that much under pressure that they used for their own series LCD panels from competitors to fulfill their contracts to deliver to Sony and others, which resulted in quite some upset customer of Samsung.

4. OP
    OP
    Manzanita

Manzanita DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    Thanks for answering everybody, Firefly hits all the bases for us with this recommendation.
    Going to check it out tomorrow.:D

5. Soap

Soap DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I recently bought myself a 32" Sony but sadly it was my second choice. My first choice was a Samsung C530 but was sold out at the time. Both are magnificent sets but I recommend you if you go the Samsung route don't waste your time with anything under a 5 series and if you go Sony don't go with anything under the EX400 series. I recommend you getting list of the models you're looking at and cross reference them with the AVS forum.

6. garbonzo

garbonzo DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    Big Samsung fan myself. We've been using Samsung plasma's for years. In our experience, been very reliable...have never had a breakdown...picture quality has been superb..particularly HD and full HD which are outstanding...funny though SD is a little ordinary...I will say though that Panansonic plasma's I've tested had slightly better sound quality....but not enough to sway me. I run the Samsung sound into our stereo system when I want more boom-boom....

7. OP
    OP
    Manzanita

Manzanita DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    What is "plasma"?
    Is that LCD, LED or some other type screen technology?

8. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,539 / 1,016
    Mark, LED is the latest technology. You have a choice of LED or LCD and going high price (Philips, Sony Bravia), middle of the road (Samsung, LG) or a number of low price Chinese brands. Size matters for price. Have a look at Robinson's Appliance to get an idea. I bought an LG LED but Dream cable does not have high definition so maybe a waste of money.

9. firefly

firefly DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 1
    Plasma is "some other type screen technology" that was introduced around the same time as LCD.
    From outside you don't see any difference with LCD.
    Plasma is now fased out and is no longer in production, therefore you probably can buy some cheaper plasma TV sets now.
    Plasma TV's consume more electricity than LCD, LED is the lowest electricity-consumer.

10. simple mind

simple mind DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +19 / 4
    Some correction, all the so called LED TV's are in fact LCD TV's, what the LED (Light emitting Diode) does, it is used as a "Backlight" of the LCD (Liquid Christal Display) Screen, as more and better quality LED's there are used as more brilliant the Picture, what Roodie mentioned about the Blacks being to "Black" and like glossed over, is what many People owning for the first time a LCD TV complain about, something to get used to.:wink:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.