Dumaguete Info Search

Road To Valencia

Discussion in '☋ Tourist Information ☋' started by earlmj, Mar 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cebudiver

cebudiver DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    my wife takes the truck over from cebu every once in a while and gets plants - I cant go cuz she says she cant bargain when I'm there : )

2. pickled_newt

pickled_newt DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +17 / 12
    Valencia has been blessed with very fertile soil.People there said brocolli ,pachoi ,cauliflower etc thrive and they don't even use any insecticides as growth spurts quickly and ready for harvest for any crop eating bugs to develop,dunno might be slight exaggeration.But I can see it when passed by the small farms in upper Valencia,including flower farms. Houses have thriving flower gardens . Flowering plants like Dahlias,asters , bizzy Lizzies etc do well there.Those plants that grow in my garden here in england seem growing well in Valencia.But hardly in our location in negros,I have tried planting them, sadly all dead, perhaps because of heat . My sister has about over 2 hectares lot in upper Valencia, bought it for a low price P100/ sq meter with stunning views overlooking Dumaguete and tip of Cebu, also with both sloping hilly and flat part of the property and a deep sloping ravine with creek below and view of Talinis at the back .She's an avid gardener (or mad gardener lols ) fanatic in terms of gardens.I thought it must be a good site for people loving gardens,water is also abundant,people were said to have unlimited access of water for household use,they only pay as what I've heard of only 10 pesos /month even with a pool ? Good to be true,but that I knew electricity is subsidized in Valencia,just wonder about water,or are people only given flat rate regardless of amount used .

Also lately , I've heard farmers in Valencia are growing succulent type of virginia strawberries .This was introduced by some Koreans .Farmers were said to have already having their strawberry produce in the market.Has anybody in Dumaguete tried these Valencia strawberries ?

3. caymimi

caymimi DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    I heard from an Australian friend that the Vicunas no longer own Forest Camp, and that it is now owned and run by Mike Butler (who owns Coco Grove in Siquijor, Coco Grande Hotels, etc). Is this true?

Also, regarding Casaroro, I'm not really sure which one I liked more, I mean definitely back in the day it took almost an hour to climb there because you just had to rely on stones and roots for gripping, but those metal stairs they have now are a pain in the butt when you're walking back up the mountain to get to the exit, especially if you're already tired from swimming in the strong current of the waterfall!

4. pickled_newt

Ratings:
    +17 / 12
    some gossips

That is possible the Vicuna’s might have sold Forest Camp to that aussie owner of Coco Grove. Over a year ago,I came across part advertisement of the VETERANS BANK of Dumaguete ( in the Negros Chronicle) about the Vicuna’s who took 4 million pesos loan to do up the Forest Camp for more tourist accommodation . Either they aren’t making profit from it or just feed up running it.But this remotely crossed my mind that it was a lot of money to borrow , added to the equation is the choking very high interest rate in borrowing from Philippine banks , which is a potential killer to any business .

I like those old times of Casaroro with only those rough slimy improvised bamboo -wooden steps to climb ,as if your’re going back in time adding to the excitement ( as if you're in jurassic park except without those man-eating T-rex :D ) it gives more natural feel . Although it’s far less safe esp. for heavy people.I just wonder had there been some unlucky soul who slipped off those steps and fell rolling down to the bottom of casaroro,as those steps have seen its better days :eek:
    ……………………..

5. sheelah

sheelah DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Casaroro falls is indeed very nice but have you been to the Pulangbato Falls? It is very pretty as well, with several smaller falls surrounding the area. It is much harder to get to than Casaroro but it's worth the hike:smile:

6. Columbo

Columbo DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Where are the Pulangbato Falls? Casaroro is very nice but already that takes too much time in relation to te efforts. If it only was the other way around: First go up and Back down, should be more nice. Going up tired from swimming is hard.

7. pickled_newt

Ratings:
    +17 / 12
    In going to Pulangbato,you have to head the same route going to Palinpinon (georthermal power plant),just before you hit Palinpinun,there's a village called Puhagan ,there's group of houses next to the highway.Just ask the locals you'l come across . You have to walk middle of the village and about 15 minutes you'll hit the stream a little further on is a little waterfalls and very shallow.You can dip in there.From the small waterfall you can see a dry river bed,never follow it,you'll end up somewhere else.I felt it must be sign posted by now.Follow the trail and with in about 5 to 10 minutes ,not a long hike,you'll reach Pulangbato.

Here are couple of photos taken along the way going to Palinpinon with some thermal vents along the road.You can cook an egg in some of the vents.Some vents aren't that spewing hot ,but some are and potentially will scald you. You can also see some badly erroded sections of the road .This is before you hit Puhagan.

Attached Files:

8. chrissar

chrissar DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 1
    LOvely pics Pickled_newt. We will definitely have to tour Dgte next month. Thank you for sharing.:smile:

9. caymimi

caymimi DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    Pickled Newt, I must ask, who is that guy in the picture with you? I know him, but I can't remember his name. I'm so forgetful these days. I haven't seen him for a long, long, long time. But I knew him back in the day. Can you please enlighten me?

10. pickled_newt

Ratings:
    +17 / 12
    To caymimi

To help refresh your mind ,that guy in the picture is Joshua 'Moe' Atega or known as Kuya Moe ,he's working in SU Alumni hall ,if not in the US for his masters.He's one of the artist in SU during our time and now .He is a psych grad or have done another degree ,but used to help organizing activities around SU.You see him everywhere those days .

For those who might be curious of the others in the pic ,they are Faith and Sha all artists too.Sha is studying in Silliman right now with her masters.Faith also a sillimanian , had worked as Guidance counsellor in Foundation Univ but left last yr for the US.Most members during our time are out of Dgte .Seems everyone is leaving...but left their hearts in Dgte .This was actually meeting ol' friends in our OGPA group 'ORDER OF THE GOLDEN PALETTE ' of SU. 'twas good ol' days.I doubt if I recognize any of the current OGPAns of today, most likely will be youngsters ,i mean of students .We are the oldies.:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.