Dumaguete Info Search

Schools in Dumaguete

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by grindven_cruz@yahoo.com, Nov 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. derivative_guru

derivative_guru DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 1
    Here is the URL for SU High School:

School of Basic Education

Phone Number: (63)(35) 422-6002

It is not an IB curriculum but rather an "enriched" version of the Philippine Dept. of Education's Secondary curriculum. Cebu International School in Cebu City claims to be the only International Baccalaureate school in the Visayas and Mindanao regions. Their website mentions 7 schools nationwide accredited to teach IB, I assume the rest are in Luzon. You can check them out here: coverpage

Silliman University is generally ranked about #5 among **Universities** nationwide. What that means for the high school, I am not sure. The "School of Basic Education" which houses the Early Childhood, Elementary and High Schools is largely comprised of the children of the University's faculty and staff--I was told 60% are university employee children and roughly 20 to 25% are foreigner/foreigner-mixed students. (Those numbers were quoted to me by the Director of the Early Childhood Program but probably are similar for the High School.)

Hopefully some Sillimanians can enlighten us with their direct experience!

Also Grindven, have you researched Online/Home School IB programs? If so, please share!

2. Boom'E'rang

Boom'E'rang DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    - there are two international schools in Dgte. One is Montesori high school or Elementary located on the way to Valencia. The other 1 is near El Camino Blanco I just can't remember the name.

Sorry i don't know details of these schools.

3. derivative_guru

Ratings:
    +11 / 1
    The one near El Camino Blanco is Royal Oaks. It has Pre-K through high school.

I thought the Montessori School did not extend through high school though??

Neither have IB programs.

4. lordkhryst

lordkhryst DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I agree with you Pedro...

5. lordkhryst

lordkhryst DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    HAHAHA, El Camino Blanco Drinking 101... Just kidding...

6. Boom'E'rang

Boom'E'rang DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    D-guru,
    thanks for extending the information. The name is Royal Oaks International. that's right

lord khryst,
    Drinking 101. It must be a subject... he he he. For Kids? Lord Christ.

7. akis51

akis51 DI Junior Member

Pensioner
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Well, dear Rhoody, what do you suggest for people living here ? Forget Manila
    and international (..?) standards. We plan to relocate in Dumaguete during September. Our daughter is 10 years old, 5th grade to St. Patrick, private school in Quezon City.

For the Silliman elementary, some of you say Yes, some say No.. For other
    schools, as Royal Oaks, another post said Yes but without any additional info. :confused:

I am against any school for girls only. So, what we will do ? :mad:

8. derivative_guru

Ratings:
    +11 / 1

I don't possess the inestimable wisdom of Sir Rhoody ;-), however, if you will permit me I will make a suggestion:

Visit these schools and interview their directors AND the individual teachers your student(s) would be assigned too. I think one 45 minute or so visit to each will give you a good feel as to which is right for your individual student.

In alphabetical order:

Cittadini
    Don Bosco
    Holy Cross
    Silliman
    Southdale

I don't think any one school is clearly the best for all students. I think you will have to find the right school for your student.

Supplementation at home and a place like Kumon is also good. By the way, I have no direct experience with Kumon so I am not endorsing them, but I will say that I have yet to hear negative reviews of them which says something in itself.

9. Lai

Lai DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Huh! International School? This must be a joke. International or not international school really doesn't matter. What matters is that if your student is smart enough to study hard, read a lot, do something that is productive and get a good grades without cheating. Then you can be successful.

.... unless "domestic helper" and nurse abroad are enough for your kids...
    Domestic helper and nurse - these are the students who are failing because they did not study hard not because their school is not international standard. Jeeesh!

10. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    well, if you get your pink glasses off, you will find out after researching that NO Single course in Dumaguete has any accreditation outside the Philippines.

no matter how hard and honest you study.

Don't get emotional about my statement, this are the simple facts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.