Dumaguete Info Search

Schools In Dumaguete

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by BAZ, Mar 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wak-wak

wak-wak DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Is it a school for dyslexia? :D

2. sheelah

sheelah DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Simon

LOL! Thanks for the info Cheskaraul. I thought SIMON was some other school:D

3. sheelah

sheelah DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    for PhilT

If you're talking about private schools, then, I'm sure you are right PhilT. However, I do have to say that we do have some public schools that are much better compared to some of the public schools here in the USA. Take for example the Dumaguete Science High School. We may not have sufficient laboratory equipment but we were still able to compete in the US for some of the most promising students' investigatory projects.

And since you're scoffing about our schools there, at least our children there WANT to go to school. Here is an article that I would like you to read and ponder on. ABC News: John Stossel's 'Stupid in America'.

4. PhilT

PhilT DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    So okay US schools are poor, so I rephrase my original post, if you are in the UK and thinking of living in Phils and sending your children to school there you must be prapared that the schools are not as good as British education.

The word "Scoffing" I take as an insult, my comments were thought through and measured, I did point out in my post this is not an insult, but an accurate observation, I was a Temp teacher in dgte and my sister in laws, and neices are Teachers in both private and public schools, so I think I am entitled to comment on this topic, the only thing I agree with you is that yes kids in the phils WANT to go to school, here in UK kids do want to go to school, but as it is free they take it for granted, thats the main difference. BUT for any western child, they will get bored and go backwards in the phils, also you forgot to mention, the language problem, are the kids dual speakers or just english or do not know Tagalog, or do not know visayan etc etc, that also makes a big difference. maybe the western kids will speak better english than some teachers?? which has been known, and also if there are international schools in the phils with western teachers, why are they not in their own countries teaching? if they are supposed to be that good!, see? not so easy a topic is it? If I had a child atttending an international school I would want to see the teachers CV's and check them out before spending lots of money, for a so called top class education.

Also in countries where the education is not free, the school is usually run on commercial terms. the money gets in the way! eg : if you cannot afford your school final fees that you have knocked up over the years and want to graduate they will not let you, even if you have passed with flying colours! No money, no diploma.

I will add another thing, once you have got a degree in the phils and are highly educated, where is your job? most top jobs in ther phils are not given on skills and education, but by who you know, ie ; corruption, ( see who can become Presidents of the phils! ) and when you get it, where is the high pay that you expected? Okay so you need to go abroad to get the job with pay that you want, so what is the point of living in the Phils in the first place! so what started as a simple topic turns into something much more complicated. I read the article on the US schools, yes, seems like you got big problems there, sorry for that, here its not perfect , but nothing like those problems, I see so many overseas students here in our British colleges so they must be here for a reason, MIND YOU! those people pay and have rich families at home, HMMM I wonder where they get the money from?? more corruption? who knows? lol! okay thats my "SCOFF" done.

EDIT : okay found this info and...well...a bit vague.

Negros Oriental Montessori International School (school id 2863)
    Year Founded: 1994
    Affiliations: NAMTA and AMI
    Address: Dumaguete City
    P.O Box 103
    Dumaguete City, Negros Oriental 6200
    Phone1: 035 224 6947 / 035 420 0712
    Number of students: 30.................how do you teach 30 children of different ages?
    Student Faculty Ratio: Philippine Peso.............faculty ratio???
    Tuition Range: PhP100.......................cheapest thing is P100??
    Programs offered
    Teaches French.......................usefull?
    Horseback riding......................and why not?
    Library................................I hope so!
    Lunch Program.....................yes they eat as well!
    Music Education..................like instruments? reading music? listening,,what?
    Outdoor Education............whatever that is
    Physcial Education...........same as below
    Sports...........................same as above
    Summer Program..................??
    Swimming...................okay
    Transportation................got their own bus!
    Dumaguete City, Philippines

HMMM! a bit vague on the curriculum there! spose they tell you more when you get there, or I hope so!

5. sheelah

sheelah DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    my answers for PhilT :smile:

I apologize if you took the word "scoffing" as an insult. I will answer your questions as best as I can. I'm not saying I'm right but it is just my opinion.

If the western kids will speak better english than the teachers, I don't think that's such a shock. It's their primary language.

As for the international schools with western teachers, maybe they have their families there. Or maybe, they want to live a very comfortable life since the exchange rate is in favor of the Euros. "If they're supposed to be that good, " like you said, they don't have to stay in the UK if they don't want to. They can teach elsewhere and still be good in their field.

If you had a child attending international school, of course you would want to know if it's worth paying that much. That's what research is for.

If education is not free, obviously, money will get in the way of getting a diploma. That's just the way it is. It is sad but life is not fair, right? You just have to adapt and make the best out of it.

Yes, jobs in the PI are pretty scarce. That's why we're a third world country. We either have unemployed people or underemployed people. You're right about jobs not being given based in education or skills in some cases. However, think of it this way. If people with college degrees have a hard time looking for a job, how much more for those who were only high school graduates. It is better to be underemployed than unemployed.

So what is the point in living in the Philippines? It depends on who you ask. I'm sure most people would say because of their family and friends. They're happy to have a job even with a small salary because their family is there.

There are a lot of overseas students here in the US so they must be here for a reason as well, huh? As for your comment about rich families and where their money is coming from, don't be in denial. Corruption happens everywhere not just in the Philippines. Just because you don't see it or hear it, that doesn't mean it's not there.

As for the info about the NegOr Montessori International School, it is indeed vague. But if you want your questions answered, there is a number that you can call.

6. PhilT

PhilT DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    Western born kids will get bored in the Philippine schools...believe me, they will. After they get used to being on the beach alot there is not much for them in the phils, for entertainment. Thus stimulation for them is low. nothing to do there.

Quote ; Corruption happens everywhere not just in the Philippines. Just because you don't see it or hear it, that doesn't mean it's not there.

When I got married, my wife went to the NBI clearance in Manila, because there was someone in the NBI who was a realtive, she was taken from the back of a very large queue, and put in first place, clearance done in 5mins!!! that does not happen everywhere!

PLUS last time I arrived in the phils i was stopped at customs, no worries I put a few hundred pesos in my passport, the guy opened it looked at it and took out the money put it in his pocket and said have a nice stay sir! See? when you are there you do the same thing as the locals! BUT I could NOT do that at Heathrow!!! I would be in the slammer! lol!

7. cheskaraul

cheskaraul DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    hey wak-wak, no it's not a school for dyslexia but the school does have such a long name and i doubt NOMIS would sound better than SIMON :wink:

8. sheelah

sheelah DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    corruption

That just goes to show that there really are people who tolerates a corrupt system when it is to their advantage. You say it is not right, yet, you were "amused" of the fact that you were able to buy your way out of the scrutiny of a customs official. You say it is not right yet your wife took advantage of the fact that she had a relative in NBI and bypassed all the people who were in queue probably since 4 am. These examples just show these corrupt people more encouragement.

You said that when you are there, you do the same thing as the locals? Just because a lot of people are doing it, that doesn't mean it is right. You should know better, coming from a place where corruption is not as rampant and obvious as the Philippines.

9. pickled_newt

pickled_newt DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +17 / 12
    We had been back many times to the Philippines and we took it just as a normal part of custom personnels' SOP to pick randomly on people they like to have chat with.We experienced similar like that with the customs and just carried on with a nice conversation that went on as normal infact ending it with few hilarious banters with the custom guy as we left ,nothing demanded from us and we never gave bribe.There's no reason to give bribe ,only for a simple conversation with a customs personnel,looking at your bags or passport,unless one is caught with an illegal doodaa ,whoa,and big fine on the way ,lols.Were you @PhilT? Or is this only an exagerated account to prove your point ?:wink: and we don't mind interesting revelations if there's more in store.

Ever since going in and out of the Philippines we never give bribe particularly to airport customs personnels.I don't think they are all evil and corrupt,unless one has done bloody stupid thing and need to make secret arrangements with the costums,to save face or from massive penalties .

To give money to customs personnels for no reason is ridiculous,sorry I might be sharp to say this. But in defence if I were the customs ( hard up ,broke & underpaid,having 9 demanding hungry kids back home with one on the way ,I will not do any heroics if I can get away with it) and here comes this foreigner PhilT so generously giving me some money for no reason, hmmm d*mn only doing my job looking at Philt's hunky drop-dead gorgeous passport photo and lols :D can magically get few hundred pesos nice treat for the day to buy few kilos of rice ; perhaps he just won a the lotto jackpot an expression of goodwill,lovely,I would accept it happy,WHY NOT?:D though officially it is not allowed in the books ,but who cares, PhilT was too generous and kind.That's more likely the psyche of a typical costums personnel,why refuse any 'blessing' when it's given to you.But then on PhilT labelled it as corruption , when he's the one who initiated giving money without the need of it.

Indeed , this act is encouraging bribery and continuous corruption,this practice should be discouraged .

I am not getting at you PhilT:wink: ,but only my simple reaction from your post.

10. wak-wak

wak-wak DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    NOMIS sounds good too.

Female teacher asks student if homework was done....

"No MISs". :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.