Dumaguete Info Search

security recommendations please

Discussion in '☋ Tourist Information ☋' started by TekaMuna, Jan 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    of course it was, but...
    what are you dreaming of... you should know your country better.
    The management (as long as it is local) gives a d*mn sh#$% unless you catch the thieves red-handed. If not they tell you thousands of excuses why it can't have happened as they have excellent staff...

2. bull shark

bull shark DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well I can only relate my info from my 1 month stay in Dumaguete City way back in Nov 2002. I stayed at the Bethel and one other place before I stayed for 3 weeks at the Worldview hotel in Dumaguete City. When I went to Siquijor for a few days I left in my room a few thousand dollars worth of valuables that I did not feel like toting to Siquijor. I never had any problem with my items anywhere. The maid would come to clean everyday, even when I was gone, and everything was just fine. I never did ask the staff about their safe.

3. DivingDane

DivingDane DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Hi

I think you'd be perfectly safe most places, and I certainly wouldn't worry about outsiders robbing your room (unless there's easy access from outside, through a sliding door or something) but honestly any recommendation we could make would be a pretty moot point if you then had something stolen. The thing is, staff comes and goes.

A hotel with perfect staff could hire a thieving b@st@rd next week, who'd clear your room out good. A hotel that once suffered from theft, could be perfectly fine today. Noone can give you good advice about this matter, as none honestly knows the staff - least of all the manager.

I've always been lucky with leaving my computer, camera and belongings in the room. If you're not comfortable with this, you'd need to use the safe of the hotel or only get rooms with their own safe. One possible, but not fool-proof solution, could be to get a good padlock, and then store everything valuable in your locked suitcase when you're out of the room. It takes a very dedicated thief to cut or pry open a suitcase to have a look inside - I'd say it's probably more of a stretch that quickly stealing 100 bucks from a wallet left open on the nightstand.

Cheers,
    Soren

4. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,855 / 1,022
    Blood Type:
    A+
    There again, a canny thieve might just walk out of the hotel with the case.
    Hardly conspicuous is it :rolleyes:

5. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    mmm ????

Well Jim! it depends on the Hotel, In Manila and Dgte I was challenged!
    "Have you got your Room clearance" Sir! but like the old saying, Security is like Charity, IT begins at home! :D

Jack P.:smile:

6. DivingDane

DivingDane DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I'd guess the security guard would have to pretty thick not to wonder why the cleaning lady walks out of the hotel with a suitcase, when she usually doesn't. :wink:

/ DD

7. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,855 / 1,022
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Thats why I said (Canny) thief. :D

8. mwakio1

mwakio1 DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I stay in hotels all over the world and what brings me some peace of mind is a small cable lock for my laptop. If I leave the room without it, I find a large piece of furniture or something mounted on the wall (like a flat screen TV) to lock it to. Most times, probably all you need is a deterrent. Don't tempt good people.

9. dpt123

dpt123 DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    4 weeks in the Philippines yesterday. Have stayed in a total of 5 different places, including Mindanao. All fine, nothing stolen - except - my first aid kit from my scooter (motorbike). Under the seat there is a small compartment, thought it the perfect place to put a basic first aid kit but alas, it has been pinched. Its a simple lock I guess and a local must have needed some bandaids, creams, bandages, gloves etc etc more than I...Cant work out if I was watched or if someone just took a look one night walking past...

10. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    Life!

:eek:No Kid, it's called Life, Welcome to the PI, Good it was not your wallet.:wink:

Jack P.:smile:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.