Dumaguete Info Search

Sending Money to Loved Ones in DGTE

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by Kuya, Feb 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0

We have had nothing but problems using Xoom. As of right now we are still waiting to collect a Xoom payment sent from the US 3 days ago. We have never spent more than 20 minutes collecting Western Union payment.

If sending money on a regular basis, the ATM method is great. I have used it many times in the past. The charges will dpeend on the foriegn bank and the ATM fee at the place of collection, but will never come near the amount involved to send Xoom, WU, or moneygram. Simply open an account in your name in your location, and send the card to whomever it is you send money to. You deposit into the account whatever you want them to have.

Larry in Valencia

2. liquido

liquido DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I guess its like any service,some people have good luck and others do not with xoom..I have done countless transactions without a hitch,I even had one transaction that went through in 30 minutes..Granted the ATM plan works great..I will not pay the western union ripoff prices..Whatever works.......

3. caymimi

caymimi DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    I used to use the ATM with my parents when I was at Silliman. My mom gave me her Citibank ATM card and she would send me money. The minute she deposited I could withdraw it in seconds. We soon found that it was the most convenient option because bank-to-bank transfer always took too long. The only problem I had with the ATM was something that happened twice: I withdrew from BPI (it being the only bank back then that you could withdraw P10,000 in one go) and it never released my money, but it deducted from my account. BPI personnel later told me that it was some crap to do with their international banking service. Anyways, when Equitable merged with PCI, I transferred there and never had problems since. Now I use my Equitable PCI account to transfer funds while I'm working abroad. They even allow you to open an Equitable PCI account from here in Dubai, in Hong Kong, and I would guess a few other places.

4. kevinbustillos69

kevinbustillos69 One Hit Wonder?

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I suggest you should try LBC in terms of remittance... they have a good service too!!

5. davfitz

davfitz DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    ATM is the best way to go - bar none! And when you come to Dumaguete and marry your Filipina, you get your card back!

Je! Je! Je!

Anne's laughing beside me as I write this.

6. ramrocket

ramrocket DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I dont do western union anymore. I use wire transfer bank to bank. 2-3 days it will get to dumaguete bpi. My bank does not charge for wire xfer(FREE).

7. derivative_guru

derivative_guru DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 1
    I agree with the previous posters...nothing beats getting an ATM card with a foreign bank and sending it to your recipient. So long as they have access to an ATM, then all you must consider is the ATM fee and exchange rates. My bank charges no fee and the exchange rate seems to be about -20 centavos per US dollar...as good as you will find with top money changers.

I understand that many banks assess high foreign ATM fees. Mine is a local bank with locations in AR and FL, but in this day of internet/telephone banking, it may be an option if one can't find anything closer. It may be a relatively small bank, but I can say with confidence the customer service is absolutely world class!

Centennial Bank: Centennial Bank of Arkansas & Florida- Free Checking, Online Banking, Business Loans & More! - My100Bank.com

8. KAYLEIGH

KAYLEIGH DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    ATM card is a good idea. I use card whenever me & my daughter extend our holiday in Dgte. and my husband has to go back to Oman. W.U. is too expensive here in Oman. We also try Xoom.com but always encountered a problems. I also have a credit card with my name, in case i need it. We use a 6 months free interest credit card, but we make sure we pay off before free interest runs out.Before our holiday in Phil., he will apply for a 6 months free interest credit card.Good to spend during your holiday, just to make sure you know how to spend it wisely.

9. john reynolds

john reynolds DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Atm Card

My Wife has been using one of My ATM cards in Dumaguete now for more than 3 Years.For Me,it's the most convenient way to send money,and also the cheapest.Metro Bank {which happens to be one of the banks that You can take out as much as P10,000 in one transaction} only charges Me $1 U.S. on Their end, and My bank over here in California only charges Me $1 U.S. And if You ask Me,nothing compares with the exchange rate that You'll get from a bank ATM over there,so if You can,forget using Western Union and Money Gram unless it's an emergency. The only problem that I have now, is that My Wife's ATM card,which is in My name,has just expired and there is no way for Me to send Her a new one without the possibility of it being stolen..Unless of course I send it to Her thru Forex in a Balikbayan box,but then it will take over 1 Month to get there.I tried using LBC Air last week,but I was told that an ATM card is considered a highly sensitive item and is not allowed.So needless to say,I will just hand deliver it to Her when I come there in June,because there is no way that I will use the U.S Postal service to send anything over there,because We all know whose hands it will be turned over to once it arrives in the P.I.......Yes, The Filipino Postal Service... I hope this advice will help You out a little more..John..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.