Dumaguete Info Search

Serious Question ?

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by 415gem, May 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Timn8ter

Timn8ter DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    I don't understand why you're so defensive. I'm simply seeking opinions from a certain group of people. If they say they're concerned about safety I will accept that information the same as someone saying they are not concerned and try to draw my own conclusions. This is about information gathering, not trying to prove or disprove one person's perspective.

2. cebudiver

cebudiver DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I am an american living in a small rural area in cebu - 2 months every summer for 12 years now - I dont have any problems and feel much safer than living in small rural areas (or cities) in my home country
    citing a few isolated incidents in Dumaguete and saying safety is a big problem while not mentioning that similar incidents are actually more frequent in small town USA ( pop.100,000 or less) is not informative- its misleading. For instance, Sarasota Florida is one of the safer towns in the US - We had 2 child abductions , a serial killer and a few homocides in the past couple years that if cited case by case (like whats being done here for Dumaguete ) would make the city appear to be a den of crime to be avoided at all costs

3. TUYOM

TUYOM DI Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 4
    visayas can you please help me and all my family get out of dumaguete? we want to migrate to the USA i hope its safer in there.everytime i get out our house i feel like someone is following me.i dont get out at night anymore.please help.

4. cebudiver

cebudiver DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    back to the OP
    If you come off as a know it all arrogant Puti or worse, a pedophile, you may very well have problems with the locals in a small village
    If you live within the cultural norms and act reasonable , most foreigners will get appreciation and support from the local residents - be pleasant, pay employees a decent salary (but not overly generous) and treat everyone as equals - you will have a special table at the town festivals and most townspeople will want to associate with you and share a drink and a plate of food - living in a gated community isolates you from village life - one of the best things about living in the philippines, imo
    petty crime is a problem so dont advertize your laptop computer, etc...
    we have a wall around the resort to protect our belongings but we dont feel uncomfortable walking around anywhere in the village at night
    ( some locals are afraid of supernatural dangers - some fishermen thought our beach was enchanted after we put up a motion detector and floodlight ... )

5. Swany

Swany DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    tuyom; :smile: You are not serious, are you? Dumaguete is a lot safer than USA... Aw... ok, I got ya, hahaha!

6. West Coast Hokies

West Coast Hokies DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +6 / 0

Thanks Tuyom, :D It's nice to get a little humor back on the board!!

7. TUYOM

TUYOM DI Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 4
    no really im serious.i heard that in UK they do a transplant in a patient and put him back to work within amonth,and in Canada they do brain surgery and the patient went back to work in a couple of months,and in the US they put a man from texas with no brain and the next day a lot of people was out looking for a job.

8. Visayas

Visayas Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Timn8ter the pot calling the kettle black!

I was clearly talking to 415gem, Timn8ter draws first blood by taking swipes at me, then whines that I'm "so defensive". When I'm simply supporting my opinion, which I have the right to do.

Garbonzo's wife is a native Filipina, born and raised, and she INSISTS on living in a gated community. According to some of the self-proclaimed experts here, she must be "unreasonable" and "paranoid". I say she just has good common sense.

9. Visayas

Visayas Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It appears TUYOM is in the market for a brain. I agree you need one. :D :p :smile: :wink:

10. Visayas

Visayas Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Your post begs a number of questions, and "misses the boat" in several areas.

If your area is so safe, why the wall? There's not a wall around my middle-class neighborhood in the States, and I'm right down the road from a trailer park.

If your area is so safe, why the motion detector and floodlights? I don't have ANY floodlights on my home, nor do I have a motion detector.

Your assertion that living in a gated community isolates you from village life, is false. A gated community is simply a group of homes with a wall around it and a gate. Some have nighttime security guards, some don't.

I know several expats living in gated communities in the Phils, and they interact regularly with the Filipino townspeople. They come and go anytime they want, day or night. They shop in town, they go to festivals in town, they have Filipino friends over to their homes. Some enjoy the "nightlife" in town.

The only difference between your resort and a gated community, is the gate!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.