Dumaguete Info Search

Shallow water dive

Discussion in '☋ Diving and Marine Life ☋' started by The Dane, Mar 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Dane

The Dane DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    We just got back from a 90 minute dive in 3 - 4 meters depth...

Sounds boring?

Not at all, we found a lot of interesting things to look at, the cutest was a 1.5 cm long frog fish wobbling about under a sea urchin.

We took notes of the site and will visit it again later with a camera :smile:

2. garbonzo

garbonzo DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    Love those shallow dives....even snorkeling...colours are better...and usually more varied fish life. Good fun!

3. earlmj

earlmj DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    shallow water Dive 2

Can.t wait so see the pictures !!! In shallow waters you will find Ghost Pipefish and many other extreme kind of fish which you will never find in deep water !!They mainly inhabit the Seaweed fields and just like their relatives the Seahorses , the MALES give life birth to miniature Ghost pipefish exact replica's of their parents. They female lays here eggs into a pouch with the male , that hatches the eggs.. I do believe a lot of our women would love the idea of it all !!! They come in all colors and many varieties .

Attached Files:

4. garbonzo

garbonzo DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    Nice picture Earl! Very colorful example. Last time at Cabilao I saw a couple of those...much plainer looking...in fact the DM pointed them out to me - or I would have missed them.

5. earlmj

earlmj DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    It is just sad to see , once more , that polution of the coastal waters makes them disappear..........

6. OP
    OP
    The Dane

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    Cool fish on the shallow water dive

We will try to get up early enough to do another shallow water dive tomorrow with the camera.

We saw a bunch of new fish, so we were pissed at ourselves for not bringing the camera...

One of them looked a little like a stony / coral skinned lionfish, hiding on the bottom half under a piece of coral. only reason I spotted him was his white spinal fin. we moved a rock a little to get a better look but he didnt like to move at all :smile:

He looked like a nasty one to step on for sure.

We of course swam by our good friends the Nemo family as well :smile:

The little frog fish was the highlight of the dive for me, he was so cool.

Same rock had 2 eels sticking their heads out all the time.

7. cebudiver

cebudiver DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    stonefish

One of them looked a little like a stony / coral skinned lionfish

like this? it's a stonefish and it has basically the same toxins as a lionfish

Attached Files:

8. OP
    OP
    The Dane

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    Stone Fish

It did not look like the picture there, but I surfed Google Images for stone fish, and found a bunch that looked pretty close.

Nasty bugger, should have whacked him before he swims under my foot one day while I am swimming :( Most pages said he just lays around waiting to kill people...

This is not my picture, but it kind of looked like that....

Attached Files:

9. cebudiver

cebudiver DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    stonefish are just waiting for a meal to swim by - the toxins aren't an offensive weapon - they just don't want to get eaten or stepped on!

he's another reason to be environmentally responsible and keep clear of the corals when you are swimming !!!

10. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    Actually the pictures are not real stonefish, they are scorpionfish,.
    Great shot of the ornate ghostpipe, they belong to the seahorse family, but unlike the seahorses the female carrying the eggs in the pouches, and are the bigger ones. The juveniles are usually seethrough but exact copy of the adults.They are developing the colours like the invironment (mostly in this region here criniods). If you have the change to dive the Dauin car-wrecks, enter the water and go down at the deeper bouy. The line ends on a congrete block on around 20 m/ 66ft. there is still a juvenile around.
    cheers

Rudi

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.