Dumaguete Info Search

SIM card registration

Discussion in 'News and Weather' started by charlyB, Oct 11, 2022.

1. kelpguy

kelpguy DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +674 / 92
    i wound up making an online appointment with the smart store in robinson's mall and, upon arrival, i was happy to see a sim registration desk at the entrance so i had two smart sims registered; one for my fone and one for my modem. the smart rep used the non-tourist category so evidently, the registration app has been updated.

the rep registered me on her tablet and since one of my sims is for a modem, i had to put that sim in my fone in order to get the one time password (OTP). if done at home online with the unregistered sim in my modem, the OTP would of been sent to my modem dashboard.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  2. OP
    OP
    charlyB

charlyB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,110 / 333
    Saw this news today,

MANILA, Philippines — An extension of the April 26 deadline for SIM registration may become necessary with only 25 percent of subscribers so far enlisted, the Department of Information and Communications Technology (DICT) said.
    “The DICT is looking at the possibility of an extension,” Lamentillo said. “The DICT has the prerogative to extend the SIM registration process for another 120 days and we’re still deliberating on the matter. Now we’re focused on increasing the number of registrants before the April 26 deadline.”
    As of March 7, the NTC reported that just 24.54 percent, or 41.47 million, of the 169.98 million SIMs across the Philippines were registered with their telco providers. With less than 50 days to go before April 26, the government has to register roughly three million a day to meet the initial deadline.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Edward K

Edward K DI Senior Member Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +996 / 82
    I tried a couple times to register my smart sim online, got the usual glitches... Went to Ayala in Cebu (there for other biz) and found the same kiosk outside the office as someone found at Robinsons, clerk registered the sim in 10 min. Expats should bring home passport and visa, clerk will ask you for whatever, easy....

• Like Like x 1
  4. OP
    OP
    charlyB

charlyB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,110 / 333
    Has anybody on the forum registered a foreign SIM, i have a UK Vodafone SIM which connects here on the smart network and on the registration site it asks you to put in your number so they can send a PIN but there seems to be no option to change the country code from +63 to +44 ?

5. Swissrider

Swissrider DI Member Restricted Account Showcase Reviewer

Retired
    Ratings:
    +132 / 28
    Has to be a Phil.No.

Gesendet von meinem M2101K6G mit Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 1
  6. Dutchie

Dutchie DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,743 / 123
    Blood Type:
    A+
    You don't need to register a foreign sim, see here:
    https://dumagueteinfo.com/board/threads/sim-card-registration.74665/page-9#post-259280

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. kelpguy

kelpguy DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +674 / 92
    i purchased a slew of smart rocket sim cards several months before the sim card registration thing was announced. i thot the rocket sims were a good deal for ₱495/ 30 days, unli data and no throttling. i use them in my pc modem.

all was good until the sim registration thing appeared on the scene forcing me to register a new sim every 30 days.
    i've registered 5 sims so far and not one of them went smoothly, i spent more than an hour, doing several process restarts, on the last one due to slow on-line app response and fill in the blank fields not being active.

however, something to look forward to...
    on 4 april, smart posted the following in my modem sms; ''COMING SOON: AN EASIER way of registering your SIM in the App.''

i assume ''App'' means using a cell/mobile fone but what about sims installed in modems?

8. Dutchie

Dutchie DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,743 / 123
    Blood Type:
    A+
    The supreme court of the Philippines has been asked to declare the sim registration act unconstitutional.
    We'll see (I don't have high hopes they'll actually do that).

So far, DICT (the department in charge) keeps saying there will be no extension of the registration period.
    They may change their mind though (which I think they will).

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. NowandThen

NowandThen DI Forum Adept Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +353 / 87
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    If they don't extend the deadline millions of users will wake up one morning with a message from their provider: Your SIM has been blocked and deleted. Both the providers and the users won't be happy with this outcome. Interesting to see how this will end.

Gesendet von meinem M2101K6G mit Tapatalk

10. God Bless Texas

God Bless Texas DI Member

Ratings:
    +294 / 17
    This would be AMAZING for those of us who have registered. Image the internet speed without all the neighbors on FB, Tic toc or whatever the new trend is.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1