Dumaguete Info Search

Siquijor Jungle Trek

Discussion in '☋ Apo - Siquijor - Bohol ☋' started by The Dane, Nov 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Dane

The Dane DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    We drove all the way up in the mountains of Siquijor to walk in the jungle up there. The jungle trek paths are clearly marked with distances of the individual treks.

We made the mistake of taking the hardest and least interesting path, we wont be making that mistake again :smile:

There is a center up there with staff that can send you in the right direction and help you choose the right Siquijor Jungle Trek experience :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  2. yabs

yabs DI Forum Adept Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    I was very dissapointed with this "jungle".
    Like elsewhere in the Phils this was not primary rainforest
    as it all had previously been logged. It was just secondary trying to make a comeback. I think the only pockets of primary left in the phils are in palawan
    and maybe the bit around Subic

3. pickled_newt

pickled_newt DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +17 / 12
    I agree with this,no real jungle in Siquijor.But Palawan has that to offer,only by experience during the 1991 trek by visiting the Ta'ut Bato tribal people,took us a long day's hike rambling through what it looked like jungle.There was no trail to follow,so one needed a local guide .It was very interesting trip going through the jungle and these were tribal people just clothed partly with tree barks ,women go around topless,and men wore what it looked like G-strings.They live in caves during the monsoon season and go out to live in the huts when the months are dry.They sustain their lives through slash and burn agriculture ( not environmentally friendly though ,cutting through the jungle to make clearings) planting dry land rice, also they do well as hunters and gatherers . There was an occasion during the night they took us to the caves where they did catch bats,grilled and fiest on them.We never ate the bats,but did manage to eat the boiled squirrels ,we don't like to offend them ,so get on with it.Tasted like chicken .Apparently this ethnic group had less contact with the outside world as we knew it during that time,and hope they remain the same.

4. lancemaria

lancemaria DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Nice trip trek

oh man! i wish i can be there.

5. joernhh

joernhh DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I visit some parts of the hilldjungel in March this year. And I like it! I`m very interested about botanic and found some nice trees and other plants there. I`ll go back...

6. chi town

chi town DI Member Showcase Reviewer Air Force Active Duty

Ratings:
    +47 / 1
    People living in caves, dressing in bark, eating bats. No resorts, no American style malls, as opposed to any other type of mall, no McDonalds?? Sounds like the perfect spot for a more vocal "keep things as they are" member.

Chi Town

7. dynamic25

dynamic25 DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi all, i'm planning a trip to Palawan in January. I'd like to go jungle trekking, how do I organise this and get a decent guide? Any recommendations? J

8. pickled_newt

Ratings:
    +17 / 12
    We did some jungle trekking in palawan but organized it ourselves with help of our LP guidebook,but now its crappy,less info,not very reliable travel book for around philippines.Anyway we went to visit the ta'ut bato tribe ( this is an ethnic group that live on caves up the cliffs of this huge crater basin west of mt mantalingahan during rainy season and moved to their huts on during dry season ,normally doing slash and burn agriculture and hunting wildlife ).

We visited the local tourism office in Puerto for info for this activity ,then we started of in Ransang ,Rizal for this ,see the mayor and was even offered to stay at the mayors house for the night.we were given a local guide,named 'buano' ,he looks like in his 50's but really quick guy ,he was good,then we started off early morning for the jungle trek,takes day hike ,and it was good,no leeches though which relieved me ,unlike malaysia jungle. Stayed with the tribe for 3 days,(women are topless and men wear g-strings that be a good start ),in all it was good experience.

Don't know where you like to do jungle trek ,but why not have a chat with the tourism office when you'll be in Puerto princessa .Tourism now is little bit organized than before, they might give you some advice.

9. Cyndi

Cyndi DI Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Great info Pickled_newt! That is exactly what I have wanted to do but didn't know where to go or how. I am saving this info for when I return.

thanks!

10. pickled_newt

Ratings:
    +17 / 12
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.