Dumaguete Info Search

Siquijor Jungle Trek

Discussion in '☋ Apo - Siquijor - Bohol ☋' started by The Dane, Nov 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chuck the Canuck

Chuck the Canuck DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Man...fantastic. I'll open up a disco there and introduce them to Britney Spears !!! All kidding aside, sounds trully fascinating. I didn't know that the Philippines still had these old tribes cut off from civilization. Sounds like a great side trip for me. Would you happen to know how to say "No thank you. I'm vegetarian." in their dialect or should I just fully experience the culture and bring some dipping sauce ??

2. Chuck the Canuck

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Interesting article but sounds like they need some help. That would be pretty hard helping them without further deteriorating their culture I would guess. Oh well, sounds like they at least have a pretty good Mayor in Princessa.

3. Cyndi

Cyndi DI Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
  4. dynamic25

dynamic25 DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the info, really helpful!

5. Chuck the Canuck

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I did some research on Palawan malaria and there are 3 drugs recommended by the WHO or CDC (the malaria there is resistant to other more common drugs): Atovaquone/proguanil, once a day; Doxycycline, once a day or Mefloquine, once a week. I will opt for the last one because missing a once a day dose can leave you compromised. Incidently about 40 % of all Philippine malaria cases are on Palawan so I definately wouldn't take a chance on going without antimalarials. Dose anyone know how to get to Palawan from DGTE ?

6. dynamic25

dynamic25 DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Guide organised...

Thanks Pickled Newt and Chuck! Just to let you know I have organised a guide and I think we're all set. Any other advice about things I should take etc? This is my first jungle trek:smile:

7. Chuck the Canuck

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Dynamic...where are you now ? Are you going to be able to get the antiMalarials ? If not, PM me. Can you tell me how to get to Puerto Princessa ? The only routing I've come across so far is via Manilla.

8. dynamic25

dynamic25 DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    route to Palawan

Hi, i'm in Korea at the moment so I can get anti malarials from here hopefully, i'll check it out with a doctor. I am flying into Manila and then on to Puerto princessa. From there i'll catch a bus down to Rizal and then meet the guide.

9. Chuck the Canuck

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Mefloquine and Cebu P Princessa Flights

I just found out that there are at least a couple of Cebu Pacific flights out of Cebu each day to P Princessa. Unbelievably cheap prices too. I have an extra large supply of Mefloquine but you won't be in DGTE so good luck !!

10. Chuck the Canuck

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think Cloroquine or something like that is the most common antimalarial and it doesn't do anything against that strain. Make sure your Doctor checks the WHO website for Palawan !!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.