Dumaguete Info Search

SM finally coming to Dumaguete

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by echir, Dec 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Manzanita

Manzanita DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    Echir, is that pictures location jive with this map?

SM future location?

2. OP
    OP
    echir

echir DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    I would like to quote an excerpt of the news that I cited above

It is worth noting that this is really the first time that this story about SM found its way in the pages of local papers. All the story about SM before were just rumors and hearsays and have no basis. I guess this item now has factual basis...

Bizmen, Dumaguete mayor optimistic of economic boom

Edward Du, president of the Negros Oriental Chinese Chamber of Commerce and Industry, yesterday expressed relief after the Negros Oriental Electric Cooperative 2 signed the Power Sales Agreement with Green Core Geothermal Incorporated Tuesday, at the Bethel Guesthouse in Dumaguete City.

Earlier, members of the NOCCI conducted a power forum with NORECO 2 and GCGI representatives after the rotating brownouts were experienced in Dumaguete, and the NORECO 2 coverage area, which had caused alarm among members of the business sector.

He added that the stand of the chamber is always the reliability of power supply which is very essential for the business sector. The cost of power only ranks second, because they are willing to pay a much higher price for as long as there is reliable power supply, he said...

Representatives of the SM department store have recently made a courtesy call with Dumaguete Mayor Manuel Sagarabarria showing their intention of putting up an SM mall in the city.

Although nothing is definite yet with SM, the assurance of a reliable power supply is already an advantage, the mayor said.

Sagarbarria is also hoping for more investors to come to Dumaguete. He said mall representatives are looking for a 12-hectare land area in Dumaguete that would be suitable for SM department store.

I would have wanted to believe so but it seems that area is smaller than 10 hectares. As it is now there is no way they can have that area unless they demolish some buildings and houses. Somebody has been pointing at areas along or near the Dumaguete-Sibulan border, at the golf course as well as at areas near the airport...

3. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0

well answer given earlier:

4. shaboo

shaboo DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I actually went to Robinsons management and asked about tenants and they said they had invited many of the more popular brand stores to come but most turned them down saying the market was too small. They could not even attract a good movie snack food vendor like "Taters" you would find for example in Ayala malls movie area. Even restaurants ie: Gustavians pulled out as did Hola De Espanol both excellent restaurants from Cebu and some others as well. The numbers just don't add up for a vendor to invest in the place. Despite all the foreigners and people with money in Dumaguete???? it doesn't appear anyone is spending very much. It's too bad and I can't imagine SM opening up here as they will cerainly do a market study on all this.

5. OP
    OP
    echir

echir DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    I am not really sure if your comment is good or realistic enough...Ayala malls usually put up in an area that already has an established retail industry, meaning there are already several malls existing. This ensures there is already a developed market in that area. Robinsons in Dumaguete is the first full service mall so far, and the city's retail industry is not yet mature. But compared to Cebu, Cebu's retail industry underwent a lot of changes, from the Gaisanos and Robinsons, then SM, and finally Ayala. So it already has a mature retail industry compared to Dumaguete. What usually happens in a place is an SM mall usually follows after Robinsons come in (but not always the case)...Only then does Ayala come in (again not always the case)...

But mind you, Robinsons nowadays is evolving, and I guess it doesn't want the image of a company that's being zapped by another bigger company, so it is improving. In fact its newer malls are way better than its older malls. And I believe it has higher ambitions too, just like its sister company Cebu Pacific.

Again when it comes to refusal and pulling out, isn't that a normal occurrence in business? Do you expect all that you invited to come in? The thing is, if more than half of the mall is vacant then that must be a case of real concern for the mall management...

6. felisa gil

felisa gil DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Hi Guys,

I thought you moved to Dumaguete to get away from the big city.Why look for big city amenities then?

Dumaguete is so far from the quaint and charming little city that it was in the 50's . It has taken so long to grow, but at the rate it is going we will be like Cebu and do you really want that?

This is a conservative town. Market research has found that credit card companies are not successful. People would rather pay cash. Construction loans are not as brisk . Big business would rather self finance. Residential construction is mostly self financed too.

There are rich people in Negros, but they go to Manila or Cebu to do their shopping sprees. I know of some who go to Cebu just to have a good dinner. There are so few of them, it can not support high end business.Majority of residents are middle class.

That Dumaguete will keep growing is a given, but hopefully it will be at a slower and more deliberate pace.

Just my 2 cents.

7. Bebasguy

Bebasguy DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Rumor I heard was that they had already bought the municipal airport for the location, and the new airport location might be south of town (Dauin area???)

8. RonEtue

RonEtue DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    That is a sad rumor...... and Dauin's resorts and Apo Island will get all the noice from airplanes.... Hope it is all wrong. Do we need a SM mall?....90% of the people in the malls are non shopping teenagers.....Hope no SM! Wouldn't it be better creating jobs for the teenagers instead of having the them running around doing nothing.

Cheers,

Ron

9. shadow

shadow DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +39 / 0

All BS, typical of the bamboo telegraph.

Larry

10. flobenz

flobenz DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    hey, no matter how well we teach them PS, we can't do anything if the student does not have any artistic ability! :D:D:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.