Dumaguete Info Search

SM finally coming to Dumaguete

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by echir, Dec 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flobenz

flobenz DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    i know.. but like i said, it wasn't aimed at u at all. it was just about photoshop, graphic design, and silliman :D happy new year :smile:

2. OP
    OP
    echir

echir DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    How about the middle class people who graduated from the colleges here, would you kill their desire to work here and to stay near their families? This kind of development I think is the kind of development that should be encouraged because this promotes an industry that is non destructive to the environment. Development per se is not really bad, it is in how we plan and implement progress that really makes development bad. It is in the putting up of factories that churns out the black smoke and the proliferation of smoke belching vehicles that makes it really bad, not the building of really nice edifices and commercial establishments that people can go to relax and have a good time with their families. And for entrepreneurs to earn more and have more income for their own and their families.

Regarding rich people, how about the former students of Silliman and other universities here who come from other places who would like to stay here because this place now has the facilities and the amenities for them to live a good life? How about the expats who are attracted to stay in this place because it is still quiet despite its fast development. Dumaguete indeed can be classified as a mobile city because it has a sizable population that come from other places but who consider this city as their second home, or even their hometown.

I think big places such as HK and Singapore have a lot of rich people who previously were not residents of these areas, but because they have the urban amenities then these people were driven to stay in these places. Same with Cebu with its progress.

Nowadays, people have become more mobile because of a lot of factors such as global warming, etc. The promotion of the retirement industry gives Dumaguete and neighboring areas plenty of advantages.

As they said, build it and they will come.

3. felisa gil

felisa gil DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Nothing wrong with Dumaguete growing, but hopefully it will be at a rational pace. As it is traffic is snarled especially in front of Robinsons,at the market and if front of Cangs. Time should be taken to plan.

We can't keep sprouting malls without bringing in an industry that will fully utilize our young college graduates. Surely, the college educated young have better skills than is necessary for mall jobs. They won't be able to shop at the mall themselves, if those are the only jobs they can get.

All I really wanted to point out is that most expats come to Dumaguete for the simpler life it allow one to live. It is a small city with small city amenities. If they want more, why stay here.We don't have to pretend that we are otherwise.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Pedro

Pedro DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Programmer, Photographer and Web Developer
    Ratings:
    +73 / 5
    This is not baseball!

That is exactly the wasteful attitude that causes many businesses to fail and which destroy our natural resources. Based on the local economy I estimated Robinsons would at best be only half occupied before it was built and I am still amazed that they took the gamble that they did. The rich have much better places to go then Dumaguete and they are already built so why waste the money? Dumaguete will be better served to try and preserve its natural resources rather then try to please developers. Its beauty is why it is attractive, kill that off and there is really no reason to visit.

5. OP
    OP
    echir

echir DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +7 / 0

Then what you can really do is to retire in nearby Tanjay, Bais or Dauin...as for me I want to enjoy the urban conveniences from time to time, and to have more choices, so I go to Dumaguete to enjoy these urban facilities in a good environment. What we should have here are good facilities so we won't have to go to nearby islands to get all we want for life support system such as high quality hospitals, top notch education, top notch shopping centers, high quality entertainment, etc. Then we can develop the nearby areas as quiet enclaves for dwellings and retirement...

6. Manzanita

Manzanita DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    IMHO, the high rollers that make these mall-building decisions are on a first name basis with the most powerful politicians in the country.
    If they build a mall in a town like Dumaguete, it's a pretty sure bet that they know about expected future demographic changes well before us peons.
    My guess is they're planning on outsourcing some of the big industrial players in Manila and are building the commercial infrastructure in the areas where they're going to be moving to.
    Also retiree immigration is booming and Dumaguete is becoming a "Mecca for expat retirees"

7. felisa gil

felisa gil DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    We are only talking malls , not hospitals and schools. Are we being realistic to expect that much growth within our lifetimes? You probably are young enough for that.

As for me , I have the best of both worlds, I am happily retired in Tanjay and come to Dumaguete once or twice a week.

8. donclark

donclark DI New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    great...SM here we come

9. shaboo

shaboo DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    What Demographics???

Seems odd as the land around Robinson has not been utilized much at all so hardly makes sense that SM would have greater success with development around its proposed mall area. So much for these demographics or Robninson would have done it already. Personally, I hope to never see an SM in Dumaguete.

10. firefly

firefly DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 1
    Robinson's is not the owner of the land between the mall and the sea.
    SM (group) is the owner.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.