Dumaguete Info Search

Smells Like a Troll

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by PatO, Nov 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,539 / 1,016
    Our experienced DI leadership that run this forum have a very good nose for smelling trolls who attempt to come on and p*ss off some of the members. I commend the leadership team for keeping peace in our family. Thank you.

I am not sure of the origination for the word troll, my guess it derives from the turd family.

2. Rhoody

Rhoody DI Forum Luminary

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    As of my part, i only apologize that I do not always explain my reactions or am not that diplomatic as the Dane ... I mean the "REAL" one, but than again, I rather appear/am rhoode and arrogant but honest than shooting members in the back...

When ever we shut down DI, we might open a last thread about the "backstage moderation-chat"between "The Dane", me and sometimes "Jung" for a last big laugh and the final loss of our reputations ... :wink:

cheers and a great evening to all

3. garbonzo

garbonzo DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    Bit hard to tell with trolls sometimes...if it is one - he's very good. I'm sure that Rhoody's judgment and IP sniffing is at work. That said there are always differences of opinion - can't have everyone on the same page - or what's the point? This has always been, from day one, the best Philippine board I've seen. I hardly bother with others personally, as I have learned and enjoyed reading this one. Very well moderated, with a great membership, on a wonderful island.

4. KAYLEIGH

KAYLEIGH DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've been off on this forum for quite sometimes (very busy in life indeed), and i missed a lot of topics. What's going on?
    In my opinion, some people don't have a good sense of humor. Why taking it too serious for the first place, everybody can put his/her opinion. So, take it or leave it, simple!
    I'm enjoying reading all the thread and the closed ones.

5. firefly

firefly DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 1
    In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into a desired emotional response[1] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[2] In addition to the offending poster, the noun troll can also refer to the provocative message itself, as in "that was an excellent troll you posted". While the term troll and its associated action trolling are primarily associated with Internet discourse, media attention in recent years has made such labels highly subjective, with trolling being used to describe intentionally provocative actions outside of an online context. For example, recent media accounts have used the term troll to describe "a person who defaces internet tribute sites with the aim of causing grief to families
    (from Wikipedia)

6. xhippie

xhippie DI Member Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +27 / 7
    thank you for the defination....living in michigan..especially the lower peninsula...we are called trolls by the upers...only because we live below the big mac bridge....so i am glad there is a real defination

7. ronv8917

ronv8917 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    As most of you know, I live by my iPhone and it's related apps. There are several that have been ruined by a troll. Most notably "Rate my bike" "iRate Tattoos" and "iRate Shoes" (yes there is such a thing). In the case of the bike and tattoo apps, both of which I have (had) the same guy (he admitted he was from Austrailia) keep saying the exact same negative comments about every picture posted, just for the purpose of making everyone mad, which he did.
    He must have spent weeks doing it and I'm sure it was a full time thing for him.
    My end thought was just to let him have the app. I don't need that hassle, so I deleted both of them.
    My Rudy had the shoe app and some guy got on there and posted vulgar remarks about womens feet (?). So, she deleted that app from her iPhone.
    Trolls will always be around because they can hide in plain sight on the Internet.
    I salute those who can find and destroy them.

8. ronv8917

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    And, as far as the name goes, when I grew up on the Chesapeak Bay (Maryland), when we went out in our boat, we would always bait hooks and throw them overboard and drag them just to see what we could catch by accident, without actually fishing. And it was called trolling......drag some bait and see what you catch....I always related an Internet troll as doing the same thing.

9. tunji oluwajuyemi

tunji oluwajuyemi DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +47 / 0
    Yes this topic has concerned me but I never mentioned for fear you guys think me paranoid,its bad enough I told you all I was spending time on a nut farm in hawaii,i suspect some come register multiple names and personality to make devious play..

10. ronv8917

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Tunji.......somebody has to do it, so I will.
    You being on a nut farm in Hawaii, makes you fit in perfectly here at this website.
    See? I can do the "double meaning thing".
    Hey, I just thought of another "quote".....gotta go post it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.