Dumaguete Info Search

smells like high methanol gas to me?

Discussion in '☋ General Chat ☋' started by tunji oluwajuyemi, Nov 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ReBelBiKeR

ReBelBiKeR DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0

Larry thank you for your interest in clearing up the matter. i myself could not believe it after only over 15 years working with car and motorcycle engines, and 5 years working with fiberglass tanks. all my motorcycles have fiberglass tanks btw.

but when this customer of mine had the problem recurring to him repeatedly, and was really upset about his rusi motorcycle, i had check it out myself. before further blaming would take place. it turns out the fiberglass tank could not handle the 10% ethanol mixture.

this is how it happens...

1. when bioethanol type fuel is put into an ordinary fiberglass tank, the fuel reacts with the walls of the tank

2. this 'contamination' process speeds up specially when the tank gets warm, then shaken due to the vehicle's movement

3. as the running engine now requires fuel, the contaminated fuel goes down to the carb and when atomized forms a sticky substance. sticky enough to really mess up the idling, and the normal return of the slide barrel. it seems that when petrol becomes air/petrol mixture, the fiberglass resin particles have no where else to go and are left to cling to the walls of the intake port.

4. now when your vehicle goes fast, air velocity increases such that the released resin particles are pushed hard and reach the intake valves, some of them even enter the cylinder, then go out through the exhaust valves. i also observed, subjecting the resin particles to more heat only makes them stickier! like sugar when you make candy syrup out of 'em! (unbelievable!)

5. you hit your destination, you switch off your engine then it cools down. repeatedly doing this with fiberglass-contaminated fuel, the really sticky 'gum' builds up and becomes an adhesive to tight spots like the carb's slide barrel. and the valve seats/guides. so sticky that when you start your vehicle in the morning, the valves refuse to open AND close when left in an open state...

...thus the bending begins.

as per philippine law, fuel makers are required to gradually increase their bioehtanol mixture up to 10%. 2010 was the deadline, but it's september 2011 and negros was so kind to guys like me who use fiberglass tanks :D

2. OP
    OP
    tunji oluwajuyemi

tunji oluwajuyemi DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +47 / 0
    My problem with ethanol in a tiny engine four stroke weed trimmer by honda was solved by the honda dealer by replacing the carburator...I dont know exactly why but it sounds like it fits the idea that disolved resins build up in the carburator and beyond...Weed trimmer carburator is so small a gas flow that it would clog first and prevent deeper clogging....Maybe thats the case

3. ronv8917

ronv8917 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    I guess that I'm missing the point here. Ethanol has been used in the USA in amounts up to 10%, since 2005, and with no large scale complaints that I can remember. Why is there a concern here and now.
    Maybe I just never personally have been effected because I used Stabil fuel additive in cars, motorcycles, lawn equipment and most importantly my home generator (7.5 Onan) which would set for many months and still start on the first button push.

4. ReBelBiKeR

ReBelBiKeR DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    @ron8917 -- there's really no need to worry ron if you're not using fiberglass tanks for your equipment, cars, motorcycles. this problem only occurs with machinery using fiberglass tanks/fuel cells, etc. as not all fiberglass tanks were made (specially the old model tanks) having ehtanol-based fuels in mind.

@tunji oluwajuyemi -- thats so good to hear that dealers like yours still care.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.