Dumaguete Info Search

Snorkling with a net

Discussion in '☋ Diving and Marine Life ☋' started by The Dane, Nov 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cebudiver

cebudiver DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    the price of basic necessities is going up and salaries are not - we have provided a bag of rice to a few families when they are in dire straits - havent eaten in a few days dire straits - hunger is a problem here - the father catches fish - the family eats - no fish today- no meal today - try living in a small village for a while and see what the situation is for the poorest families

2. yabs

yabs DI Forum Adept Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    again not really interested
    how can father not manage to catch?
    perhaps if his buddies had not blown up the reef and overfished for TODAY
    he would catch more.
    Vanuatu a tropical island archipeligo but smaller than the phils
    got voted as having the best standard of living
    they are poor but noone goes hungry due to food including fish being available to everyone. No excuse for the Phils to be any different.
    They have to wake up
    They need to stop having 10 kids each and destroying the reefs.
    The econmony needs to grow at about 20 percent just to keep pace with the population growth.
    I love the Philippines as a land and sea scape but i'm amazed at the general lack of common sense amongst the general populace.
    it really is astounding

3. cebudiver

cebudiver DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    perhaps if his buddies had not blown up the reef and overfished for TODAY
    yea, but they have - for short term gain - it only takes a few irresponsible people and everyone - responsible or not - suffers - most village kids here look years younger than their actual age - does that reflect good nutrition?

They need to stop having 10 kids each and destroying the reefs.
    once again, yes of course - but its a catholic country and you are aware of the pope's stance on birth control- the US donates contraceptives but many of the nurses tasked to distribute them from municipal clinics believe its a sin to take them and dissuade their use - population growth is the biggest problem facing the philippines right now in my opinion
    employment opportunities for women would reduce fertility rates - as it has elsewhere in the world - another factor to consider when thinking about economic development here - look what a lack of development is doing for central Africa and northern India in terms of high fertility rates and lack of health care -

4. garbonzo

garbonzo DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +68 / 1
    Getting back to taking reef fish out for aquariums...and not in sanctuaries of course...there is one aspect I've noticed in the Visayas. There are large numbers of reef fish....and not a lot of predators...I'd say I see about ten times as many sharks and pelagics - generally - while diving in Oz or the Red Sea. The reef ecosystem in the Visayas (don't know if it applies to the whole country) seems way out of balance with what I see elsewhere...in which case grabbing a few for an aquarium...probably doing the reef a favour...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.