Dumaguete Info Search

Something New in Dumaguete City?

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by The Dane, Dec 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. waterbaby74

waterbaby74 DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    hehehe you are a funny one wak-wak... by using the word genuine i meant to emphasize being authentically Bisaya - someone who was actually born and raised here with deeply rooted family ties. i guess true-blue would have been more apt? hehehe...

a fake, by my standards, could be one though born and raised here but with no Bisaya relations whatsoever (e.g. a migrant) or perhaps someone actually born here but raised elsewhere... *blahblahblah* :smile:

2. Swany

Swany DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    The top of the week news; SY SCIONS ENVISION SUPER BUSINESS PARK is gonna be very exciting for all Dumagueteneous. I, too, am beginning to get excited (Although, actually I don't live in Dumaguete)! I could hardly wait to see it happened.

3. wak-wak

wak-wak DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the clarification. :smile:

Now I know my girlfriend is a genuine bisdak. I will try calling her that and see what her reaction is. Should be fun. :D She will probably ask who taught me that. I will tell her "waterbaby"....that should get another good reaction. hehe

Sidenote: I get confused......Visayan.....Bisayan. V and B seem to be interchangeable. I am obviously a foreigner. :D

4. pickled_newt

pickled_newt DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +17 / 12
    waterbaby , you must have thought for a while I'm one of them who got blond hair and blue eyes goooosh lols:D shus ko stelan sab mo mu uy, la gyud mo ka atik sa ninglisan ko lang bisaya kaayu hahaha. ( ...goodness, were u not able to get the cue from my english ,it's an obvious bisayan english.)

5. waterbaby74

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    actually it was your english that got me fooled there... wala gyuy pagka bisaya! atik gyud! hahaha.

6. waterbaby74

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Visayan - Bisayan: they actually mean the same thing. We Filipinos are known for many speech flaws, one of which is substituting B in place of V. Visayan is in fact the correct one. However both are acceptable :smile:

Where, may I ask, did you get the name wak-wak? I gather from your girlfriend? I hope she also told you what it means... :D

7. cheskaraul

cheskaraul DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Pickled_newt... i have to agree with waterbaby! you had me fooled!!

8. wak-wak

wak-wak DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Another one is F/P.

I am very familiar with the V/B when talking. Like TV being said like TB. I jokingly told my girlfriend that TB means tuberculosis. She said she knows, but if a Filipina says it like TV then....... I forget what term she used, but it gave me the impression others would think differently of that person.

It was the spelling it out part I wasn't sure about. That is the only instance I can think of in which the accent was captured in the spelling.

You guessed it right. When we first met it was like a joke name. On rare occasions she will call me that. Like to get my attention when she logs into Yahoo to chat. I know what it means....not exactly a friend name. Might give people the wrong impression if they haven't met me yet. When I signed up for an account here I put a link in my profile regarding the meaning in case others are curious.

9. sheelah

sheelah DI Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    to wakwak

Another one is the "d" sound instead of "th." I'm sure you have noticed that as well.

As for your nickname "wakwak," I think it's quite interesting. You see, I sometimes call my husband "engkanto" because he's white:smile: I know that in spanish "encanto" means enchantment. But in our local dialect, it's quite similar to a ghost but not really. He knows what it means and he thinks it's funny. I guess in a way it has become a term of endearment, lol!

10. pickled_newt

pickled_newt DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +17 / 12
    cheskaraul & waterbaby ,
    Dah ober , ninglis ra gani hinulbut gikan’s kaban ni lola , hurot hurot naman gani ning maninglis dri ,kapuy nag ninglis ,agwantahun nalang , hehehehe.
    Abi sab gani nako mga ‘kana’ sab mo dra nga nasa-ag sa dgte. lols

…tis only an english extracted from granny’s old wooden chest, ‘english’ here almost running out but have to bear it up hehehe.I even thought you were 'blond blue eyed babes' lost n stranded in dumaguete. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.