Dumaguete Info Search

Something New in Dumaguete City?

Discussion in '☋ Dumaguete City ☋' started by The Dane, Dec 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cheskaraul

cheskaraul DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    touche pickled_newt!

hinulbut pajud gikans kaban ni lola.. haha! madahan nga mahurot na imong ininglis nga maayo man kaayo ka mustorya! as in! ako? kana? hahahahaha! mao na'y laughtrip najud! :smile:

of all the things, extracted from your granny's chest! haha! it's impossible that you're running out of english when you speak it so fluently! totally! (tsada kaayo akong equivalent sa 'as in' o, totally!) me? american? hahahahaha! now that's really hilarious! :smile:

blond and blue eyed? totally far from reality. hahahaha :smile:

2. pickled_newt

pickled_newt DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +17 / 12
    mao jud cheskaraul, 1st impression maka ilad sab ...guess have to read every single posts here LOLS :D

3. cheskaraul

cheskaraul DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Mao jud pickled_newt.. hahahaha :smile: bali nako pag ininglis gyud kay abi nako nga kalagmitan mga foreigner ag mga ga post diri!

4. wak-wak

wak-wak DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I didn't notice it with my girlfriend....or maybe I have become numbed to it.

However, when her friend with us when I was driving in Duma/Valencia/Zambo seeing the sights she was navigator for me. Sometimes she would say "turn dair (there)!".

I would joke with her....I would say "turn dair??" :D

As a sidenote, my girlfriend goes to school in Manila. She says the other kids make fun of her English in English class. Part of her grading is reciting, but she is shy to because of the kids giggling when she does it. Yesterday I called her during class because her teacher was absent. I heard a bunch of noise and asked what that was. She said the kids are laughing at when she talks to me because of her Visaya English.

5. cheskaraul

cheskaraul DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Oh wow they are really really mean! Well, we Bisayas get it a lot. Believe me. When I first went to a university in Manila and people asked where I was from they'd all begin to laugh and say that it was impossible that I was from Dumaguete cause my English was 'flawless'. Needless to say whether my English was flawless or not, I was still part of the jokes when someone would make a mistake in speaking English. Just tell her not to mind them, buncha jerks.

6. PhilT

PhilT DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    Greenwich fast food is okay.........buko pearl drink...so cold it gives you a headache!..my Daughter likes the food there. but phils food in general is very bland and the same all over. I see in DGTE loads of people eat out all the time..where do they get the money? or is it next weeks money? Food in the phils is not very seasoned.

7. pickled_newt

pickled_newt DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +17 / 12
    I admit fili food isn’t that seasoned or spicy compared to thai cooking ,but its ok.I like spicy food to break the pattern but not all the time ,it’s nice to have a variety.But I assume of you being originally from the UK ,you’re used to bland English/uk food. lol Does it bother you? Don’t get me wrong, just an opinion. lol:D:smile:

If people eat more out, they must have money easy and ready to dispose .I just wonder about that too . But to remember, Dumaguete population is only 100,000 but according to one statistical survey during peak business hours it reaches about 400,000.People travel to dumaguete and topping up the number massively in few folds. And these added number of people are most likely the ones that you can see eating out .
    But also,I guess dumaguete people are more better off population in comparison to some areas in the Philippines. Remember .this is a university town and it’s easier to come by with the premise that education to begin with is more of a venue for the majority people residing in this city. Apart from normal employment or engagement in business of the richer Dumagueteneos , children from many families with good education also goes overseas to work hence more money coming in for the families. Also retiring Filipinos overseas are coming back.I knew of a couple, also friends with my aunt in NY also working as nurses in the US coming back to retire in Dumaguete soon . In general ,the Dumaguete people aren’t too dire poor in comparison to the urban poor in manila for instance.

I’m always saddened when most…I’ll say 95% of clips shown in the tele here in the UK which are associated with news about the Philippines, are those depicting severe poverty. Showing people living in cramp spaces in Manila and those especially in Tondo area or living near the smoky mountain where people live in boxes or make shift dwellings out of scraps , with horrible open drainage,flies everywhere .It’s the worst you can see. If one hasn’t got any single idea of the Philippines by normal judgement, based on those pictures depicted ,the Philippines looks like a dodgy place to live or visit.

I suppose every news coverage in the media esp from far off places like the Philippines and of remarkable importance … but they always love to pick any big bad news.

8. PhilT

PhilT DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    Agree about the poverty thing, some years ago whenever it was phils on it always showed..... smoky mountain!!! wwwooowww poor country! that sucked!

no UK food is better quality here, than any phils food, dairy products are crap in phils, not any decent meat, when there you start to crave for a BIG block of cheese! or a lloonngg pint of cool creamy milk! just little things!

I can eat most things, so wether its potatoes or rice never bothers me..one thing I will not eat Canding.

Ps If I sound rough and ready, I am not but like to speak my mind, and tell it like it is, its where I come from that makes me like that. One thing though I get respect for my in laws that way, as i tell them straight, do not treat me like a white guy, i am one of you, so lets have a fight if we have to! lol! But I love them all, My father in law never punched me, but he threatened a few times!, now passed on, god rest his soul, a very nice man.

9. Kuya

Kuya DI Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Uh, oh...is this our friend "yabs" reincarnated? Did you spend any time in Thailand?

10. PhilT

PhilT DI Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    No and who is yabs, and I do not believe in reincarnation

Sorry should explain! I used to go to another phils forum and got fed up with the people on there as they were talking a load of garbage most of the time on what they were going to do in the phils and make loads of money and bla bla bla! they did not like me at all as I told then that most of what they proposed was nonsense, get rich quick schemes, and businesses that make 100's of dollars or whatever a week, total rubbish. But here this forum is okay, I always speak my mind, I am probably a bit older than most of you, and have been married to my wife for 20yrs and have lived in and out of Dgte for most of that time....its NOT paradise.. at times its hell...but thats the same as anywhere else! Thats life, sometimes its good, sometimes it sucks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.